Yo La Tengo Question

I don't have much YLT, but the double/triple CD set Prisoners of Love was a good intro for me, it includes tracks spanning the length of their career, while the 3-disc set includes a CD of rarities.

Same here. The only other albums I have is the first album and the Summer Sun ep.

In 2004 I decided at Bonnaroo to check these guys out, despite never actually hearing a song of theirs. I figured after being blown away by Wilco, and realzing that Pat Sansone was defiantly not Leroy Bach and I that I needed to check pitchfork more often, I'd give them a chance. Well they completely blew me away and I left Bonnaroo with three of their CD's. Summer Sun, I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out.

I would say the best album to start out with is I Can Hear The Heart.. it's an incredibly electic record and has basically everything the band does very well. And Then Nothing is a little tighter then most Yo La Tengo records and is a pretty rewarding listening expierence though at seventeen minutes Night Falls on Hoboken borders on mesmerizing and okay where's the skip button. That one is probably my personal favorite. The greatest hits comp is an excellent overview and it gives a great introduction as well.

I also highly recommend watching this video for Sugar Cube which is one I Can Hear the Heart.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjkP8yDEt0. If you're looking to fall in love with this band in about four minutes this is the easiest way to do it.

--Mike

I think that I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One is their best, and a great starter.

Short of that, go old school and pick up President Yo La Tengo/New Wave Hot Dogs, which is a single disc that contains two of their earliest, noisiest albums. Good stuff.

Prisoner of Love is a really good place to start... my first YLT album was "And then nothing turned itself inside out" which is fantastic... "Summer Sun" is good, but not as good as others and I can second that the new album is all kinds of good!

Prisoner of Love is a really good place to start... my first YLT album was "And then nothing turned itself inside out" which is fantastic... "Summer Sun" is good, but not as good as others and I can second that the new album is all kinds of good!

Did a full version finally leak or do you have a promo copy?

--Mike

I started with "I Can Hear the Heart Beat as One" and I love it, and I think it makes a pretty good introduction to the band.

I have almost all of them, this is the best

Get Painful & And then Nothing turned itself Inside Out after that

Edited by wheelco

I'd start at the beginning, get Ride The Tiger and work forward. They are one of those bands where listening to their musical progression is a very cool thing. Not that you couldn't do that later but I feel it will yield greater musical joy to check their stuff out in chronological order. YLT has a great catalog.

I'd start at the beginning, get Ride The Tiger and work forward. They are one of those bands where listening to their musical progression is a very cool thing. Not that you couldn't do that later but I feel it will yield greater musical joy to check their stuff out in chronological order. YLT has a great catalog.

This would work as well, I actually bought them all in reverse chornological order for the most part. You really can't go wrong with any realease by these guys. Don't forget to check out the Nuclear War EP either.

--Mike

NO love for Electr-O-Pura???

That's what I was wondering. I'd take that one over anything. :yes

"And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out" is one that sneaked up on me after owning it about 2 years.

"Painful" is excellent, as well.

"I Can Hear the Heart..." is good, but I think it suffers for me because everybody told me how awesome it was before I ever heard it and so then when I finally did, I thought "...Meh" :hmm

I really love about half of "Summer Sun".

That's what I was wondering. I'd take that one over anything. :yes

"And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out" is one that sneaked up on me after owning it about 2 years.

"Painful" is excellent, as well.

"I Can Hear the Heart..." is good, but I think it suffers for me because everybody told me how awesome it was before I ever heard it and so then when I finally did, I thought "...Meh" :hmm

I really love about half of "Summer Sun".

all have great tunes and a few duds

best - Detouring America with Horns; Upside Down; Barnaby Hardly Working; Sugarcube; Moby Octopad; Little Honda; Cherry Chapstick; Stockholm Syndrome; Tired Hippo; Sudden Organ

and I love Night Falls on Hoboken, every second of it -- much better than the similar SY tune The Diamond Sea

Notice I mentioned the first 2 songs of May I Sing With Thee (DAwH, UD)