Now Playing. 14th August 2006.

I think I'm just a little worried that I'm missing something :lol

Everyone seems to think it's great, I seem to be the only one who doesn't rate it (other than maybe 2 tracks)... perhaps my hearing is finally damaged permanently after years of standing too close to the speakers at live gigs and over loud personal stereos and I can't hear the same things as you guys!!

I also think I've heard better albums this year that deserve the same adulation as the Midlake one is getting...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

albums such as?

Midlake isn't getting a ton of props from places like Pitchfork, etc., but that never means shit because my top 10 rarely rates very high on there anyway ;)

it's not that it's a mindblowing record or anything, just very very solid 70's Americana throwback sounding record w/ some really awesome melodies, pretty solid lyrics, and the singer has a very nice croon imo.

their previous album & EP don't really compare imo, they were more of a Flaming Lips/Mercury Rev type thing then.

albums such as?

Midlake isn't getting a ton of props from places like Pitchfork, etc., but that never means shit because my top 10 rarely rates very high on there anyway

M. Ward, Black Keys, Thom Yorke, Muse, TV on the Radio, Roddy Woomble... those are just off the top of my head :)

It's getting loads of props from Mojo, Uncut and Q though...

To finish the working day...

B000FFP050.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65933373_.jpg

Muse, blah... sorry, just haven't thought much of them since Symmetry myself...

Roddy's record is good, but not top 10 material for me by any means, and i'm a pretty huge Idlewild fanboy...

Black Keys... hmm... don't think it's in my top 10 either. It's really good, just don't like it nearly as much as their other records other than thickfreakness, which it's def better than

M. Ward & TVOTR i will probably give you, even tho i prefer Midlake to TVOTR

and the new Thom Yorke... well... i like it, but wouldn't rate it too high either on the year

:D

This is what makes music fun though; everyone's different opinions.

I'll certainly accept people's opinion on the midlake record, I've just ended up taking the piss out of myself for saying it's rubbish all the time :)

Not huge on Midlake myself - kind of a snoozer. Which of course makes sense if Kyle loves it. :cheers

np

B0002HV67W.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Radian: Juxtaposition

mr. classical music snob is not allowed to use the word snoozer ;)

if you guys don't at least like the first track, Roscoe, i don't know what the fuck is wrong with you, def not a "snoozer", especially compared to some of the stuff on The Eraser, which is fairly snoozy imo.

see, while it's a great song, it's def not my fave song on the record by anymeans

i'd prolly pick Young Bride, Head Home, We Gathered In Spring and In This Camp ahead of it, just off the top of my head.

see, while it's a great song, it's def not my fave song on the record by anymeans

i'd prolly pick Young Bride, Head Home, We Gathered In Spring and In This Camp ahead of it, just off the top of my head.

We Gathered In Spring is certainly the first song that clicked with me, but the reason I like the album so much now is that I enjoy every song on it within the album's setting - they might not all be strong outside of that, but within it they all work. No other release this year, that I've heard, works quite so well as an album.

NP

espers_II.jpg

i put this on before checking this tread, for reals. Bought it yesterday and I'm digging it...love the warmth it has. Makes me want to grow a beard (if I was able) and move out to the woods.

I grew up in a village called Kingswood which was the King's Wood (obviously) around Leeds Castle. My back garden went straight out onto this wood, and this may be why I like this album. I never dressed up like woodland animals though.

We Gathered In Spring is certainly the first song that clicked with me, but the reason I like the album so much now is that I enjoy every song on it within the album's setting - they might not all be strong outside of that, but within it they all work. No other release this year, that I've heard, works quite so well as an album.

NP

espers_II.jpg

for me the album really clicked after about a month after i first heard it (leaked sometime in March), which was right around the turn of Spring here... perfect spring record, but there's also plenty of lyrical references to Winter that conjure up plenty of images of Winter for me as well, so i have a feeling it's gonna work great for both seasons :)

I grew up in a village called Kingswood which was the King's Wood (obviously) around Leeds Castle. My back garden went straight out onto this wood, and this may be why I like this album. I never dressed up like woodland animals though.

sounds like an idea for a VC UK convention. Rich can't come, obviously :P