Now Playing. 14th August 2006.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this makes me want to check it out ASAP

Just check out 'Roscoe". It's a great Fleetwood Mac rip-off. But don't buy into the Midlake hype. The last thing we need is a Bread revival. In the new Spin the lead singer talks about listening to Christopher Cross at home. Christopher Cross people! If I made a list of the top ten Denton bands ever, Midlake, needless to say, would not be on it. Go buy some Centro-matic, Baptist Generals and Slobberbone records instead.

Roscoe isnt even close to being the best song on there IMO. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the album works as a complete package, it does totally. If I listen to one song on it I can guarantee I end up listening to the whole thing everytime.

Just check out 'Roscoe". It's a great Fleetwood Mac rip-off. But don't buy into the Midlake hype. The last thing we need is a Bread revival. In the new Spin the lead singer talks about listening to Christopher Cross at home. Christopher Cross people! If I made a list of the top ten Denton bands ever, Midlake, needless to say, would not be on it. Go buy some Centro-matic, Baptist Generals and Slobberbone records instead.

Didn't Robbie Williams copy Woody Guthrie's lyrics on a track recently, so seeing as he's influenced by Guthrie that must make him great, right? Or do these debts only work one way?

NP

53.jpg

Got this in the post this morning straight from the USA!

Roscoe isnt even close to being the best song on there IMO. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the album works as a complete package, it does totally. If I listen to one song on it I can guarantee I end up listening to the whole thing everytime.

That would be me. :P I agree. Anyway, I suppose if people hear it and don't like it, that's fair enough, but it's not going to stop me recommending it to people because I think more people will like it than won't.

thing is, Midlake aren't really that "hyped"

a few bloggers and forum posters who really love the record != hype necessarily

now if Pitchfork gave it like a 9.x, etc, sure, but they don't deserve to be called overly hyped, as they have not been.

along w/ them, Sound Team & Voxtrot, and i'm sure others, Texas is definitely putting out some of the best music around this year imo. i'm sure you being from there, it's no different than me replying to people about Tapes N' Tapes, as while good, they're def not the best band out of the Twin Cities right now by any means either.

now if Pitchfork gave it like a 9.x, etc, sure, but they don't deserve to be called overly hyped, as they have not been.

along w/ them, Sound Team & Voxtrot, and i'm sure others, Texas is definitely putting out some of the best music around this year imo. i'm sure you being from there, it's no different than me replying to people about Tapes N' Tapes, as while good, they're def not the best band out of the Twin Cities right now by any means either.

Yeah. I don't like Sound Team or Voxtrot, either. To each his own, I guess. I do agree that Tapes N' Tapes is not the best band from your town, however.

Yeah. I don't like Sound Team or Voxtrot, either. To each his own, I guess. I do agree that Tapes N' Tapes is not the best band from your town, however.

That would be The Hold Steady.

Seriously, though, Tapes 'n Tapes is pretty good. Seems like the backlash is hitting pretty hard.

That doesn't mean that if Pitchfork had given them a 9.x that they would be over-hyped. Sometimes, even pitchfork can get it right too. Calling someone hyped nowadays simply means that you've heard more than one person (probably a one of them dirty hipster types) say they are good, but you don't like them yourself. Obviously if you said you didn't like them to the hipster they'd not understand you, but they accutely understand and respond to the 'hype' claim - no hipster of any worth wants to ever believe the 'hype'. This is how to confuse hipsters and stop them listening to the music they might actually like listening to.

NP

53.jpg

Got this in the post this morning straight from Canada!

V cool. (I changed the origin of the band)

I was listening to to the first one on a 2 hour drive last night. I can't believe the quality of the songs, the great ness of the delivery and I can't figure out which one I like better.

g34774op4o1.jpg

She put her hand on his leg

He put his hand on her breast

He felt the blood in his wrist

As he leaned into kiss her open lips

In love they had a son

Who died in the crib

And in pain she swore as he passed

That their first born son would be their last

And as their love grew old

She would not do as he told

tore out his heart and his mind

And she saw fit to leave him far behind

Hank - you have Porcella, no?

Edited by lizish
V cool. (I changed the origin of the band)

I was listening to to the first one on a 2 hour drive last night. I can't believe the quality of the songs, the great ness of the delivery and I can't figure out which one I like better.

g34774op4o1.jpg

She put her hand on his leg

He put his hand on her breast

He felt the blood in his wrist

As he leaned into kiss her open lips

In love they had a son

Who died in the crib

And in pain she swore as he passed

That their first born son would be their last

And as their love grew old

She would not do as he told

tore out his heart and his mind

And she say fit to leave him far behind

Hank - you have Porcella, no?

Sorry, Canada! :lol That explains why it was posted so quickly. I prefer this to the first album myself, although I certainly like it too. I have Porcella as mp3 and never really got into too much - I might give it another try, but Andre's solo work just has a better feel to me, it's the type of sound I like from my music. Piano, drums and acoustic guitar, with a little electric every now and again.

well at least we both love Buckner & Molina ;)

true dat, brother. What do you think of Fading Trails?

LOVE it...

i wasn't so big on What Comes After The Blues honestly... at least not compared to the versions of a few songs that appeared on the Trials & Errors live record (Dark Don't Hide It especially is weak compared to the live one)

i really love the solo one too, which surprises me a bit, as i was never the biggest fan of the more stripped Songs:Ohia stuff always, and that it was being compared to his Pyramid Electric Co. record.

LOVE it...

i wasn't so big on What Comes After The Blues honestly... at least not compared to the versions of a few songs that appeared on the Trials & Errors live record (Dark Don't Hide It especially is weak compared to the live one)

i really love the solo one too, which surprises me a bit, as i was never the biggest fan of the more stripped Songs:Ohia stuff always, and that it was being compared to his Pyramid Electric Co. record.

What Comes After The Blues grew on me immensely and now I love it. I think I love Fading Trails too, although I wish they would issue all the seperate sessions instead (Nashville Moon, Sun Sessions, etc.)