Pitchfork's 200 greatest songs of the 1960s

Pitchfork has recently started there 200 greatest songs of the 60s feature.

They have planed to dispense a new 50 or so entries every day till Friday when they unleash their top 20.

Care to wager who will make it to that plateau??

Keeping in mind the snarky, hipster, sovereign, argumentative and oft obscured tendencies of Pitchfork, Let

What do you think?
I really don't care. I am not being particulary cynical here, I am just tired of these best of lists. Frankly if you pick out any 200 hits or obscurities from the 60s I think you can make a case for them.

LouieB

Heroin is already out and it's not even in the top 50. Can people at least see the whole list before the slamming commences? For a group of people who hate Pitchfork for being snarky, the posters here sometimes seem like they are auditioning for jobs at the website.

i don't think anyone has slammed anything, i agree with louieb that it's pretty much pointless, but it is interesting to read, seeing how i only have about 11% of the songs so far.
As pointless as it is, I read through it as well, because alot of great and classic songs were written during my formative years. Most contemporary songwriters should take a long hard look at these songs for models and inspiration. I think some songwriters need to go back to basics sometimes.

LouieB

#1: God Only Knows.

I respectfully disagree. :thumbdown

Me too.

Pitchforks lists are usally really intresting, if often debateable, but this one was just dubious.

It's like they took every other major publications "Greatest Sixties Songs" list, shuffled the placements of some of the selections, and just kind of ommited the third most obvious choice (Example, "Like A Rolling Stone", "Visions Of Johanna", But no "the times they are a'changin")

The theme from "Docter Who" was pretty damn high....

Its hard to lists songs, but "God Only Knows" is a fresh choice. Instead of the obvious "Like A Rolling Stone", which is a great song, but already has been honored a million times.

"God Only Knows" is a great song that has perfectly layered orchersteration that whispers into the listener's ear; plus, the lyrics are heart felt and can be used as a great way to romanticze a relationship.

Finally, I thought Herion should have been higher, but really was painful was seeing the VU's "Sunday Morning" being place on the list instead of replacing "Sunday Morning" with the epic organ and guitar screeching, drum pounding, transexual lyrics of "Sister Ray".

Sister Ray is on the list, I forget if it was higher than Sunday Morning.

I thought the top ten was pretty good. The Jackson 5 song's a good choice. On top of that, I liked that instead of doing the normal pitchfork trying to be obscure method of making lists, they did still minclude most of the obvious ones near the top of the list (Like a Rolling Stone and A Day in the Life).

Its hard to lists songs, but "God Only Knows" is a fresh choice. Instead of the obvious "Like A Rolling Stone", which is a great song, but already has been honored a million times.

"God Only Knows" is a great song that has perfectly layered orchersteration that whispers into the listener's ear; plus, the lyrics are heart felt and can be used as a great way to romanticze a relationship.

Amen.

That was a good list. I'm thinking a lot of those songs could have been heard on A.M. radio on a daily basis which is pretty cool. Now you literally have to hunt down the truly good music when back then it came to you on a silver platter. B)

A small,small moment in time there...such a shame but I'm glad I got to dig a small part of it,thanks to older family & friends