What portion of your musical collection features rap?

Since Wilco is about as far away from rap as you can get I am curious? What percentage of our collection is rap albums? Do you have a favorite rapper? Have you seen any rap concerts?

Well for me I just bought the new Jurrasic 5 Alubum...(only $6.99 at best buy :dancing ) It has its moments. Besides them I have all the Beastie Boys cds and that is it (So less than 5% for me!?) I have seen Run DMC (The original Lineup) and Busta Rhymes in concert. I also got to spend time with LL Cool J and Naughty by Nature (heh) They filmed a music video at my dads work! Anyways tell me your stories?! :music

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teenage years (late 80s-early 90s): huge collection, pretty much all I listened to

Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Eric B and Rakim, etc...etc...

These days: ummm, not so much (but I will still pull out the old ones every once in a while.

I'm sure Mr Stewart and Feelgood will have plenty to say on the subject.

Since Wilco is about as far away from rap as you can get I am curious? What percentage of our collection is rap albums? Do you have a favorite rapper? Have you seen any rap concerts?

Well for me I just bought the new Jurrasic 5 Alubum...(only $6.99 at best buy :dancing ) It has its moments. Besides them I have all the Beastie Boys cds and that is it (So less than 5% for me!?) I have seen Run DMC (The original Lineup) and Busta Rhymes in concert. I also got to spend time with LL Cool J and Naughty by Nature (heh) They filmed a music video at my dads work! Anyways tell me your stories?! :music

Well my collection is 0% rap... :blink (I have a VERY, VERY large vinyl collection)

I have seen Run DMC right before that one guy from the band passed away...

In my collection, probably 10 out of 2500 recordings are rap. I like some rap, but never care to listen to it at home. Plus, I live in Atlanta, so I can't EVER walk down ANY street without hearing rap.

Have a couple of tunes that snuck into my library through compilations, but 0% all-rap albums. And I like it that way.

I'd say 20% of our collection is rap. A lot of old school, a few more current. I'm a Beastie Boys freak. A Tribe Called Quest, Boogie Down Productions/KRS-One, all the Sugar Hill artists, Run DMC.....

I had to choose tonight between Rogue Wave and Slick Rick. I'm going to see RW but I'm very disappointed I'll be missing Slick Rick. If Doug E Fresh was with him though, it would be no contest.

I'd say about 30-40% of my collection is rap. I listened to a ton of it in high school (mid to late 90s). Mostly 2Pac, Biggie and the Bad Boy crew, PE, A Tribe Called Quest, Ghostface, the whole early 90s LA scene, Nas, and a lot of old school compilations.

40-50%. Half of that happening via falling back in love w/ the genre over the past year or so. Just didn't listen to much from 2000-2004. Older stuff ranging from:

Grandmaster Flash

Afrika Bambatta

Kool Mo dee

Whodini

RUN DMC

Fat Boys

LL Cool J

Beastie Boys

Big Daddy Kane

Biz Markie

Eric B & Rakim

EPMD

Slick Rick

Public Enemy

X-Clan

Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

Digital Underground

Ice-T

NWA

Ghetto boys

Ice Cube

FuSchnickens

DAS EFX

Lords of the Underground

Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Souls of Mischief

Del the Funkee Homospaien/Hieroglyphics

...blah, blah, blah. To more recent stuff like:

The Roots

Jurassic 5

Giant Panda

Time Machine

MF Doom

Edan

Mr. Lif

OhMega Watts

Lighteheaded

People Under the Stairs

Turntable/DJ stuff like:

RJD2

DJ Shadow

Cut Chemist

DJ Format

Z-Trip

Mixmaster Mike/Invisible Skratch Pickles

Dan the Automator/Handsome Boy Modeling School

I haven't seen enarly as much live and in person as i'd wish, but I have seen:

Beastie Boys

Tribe Called Quest

Ice T

Ice Cube

Public Enemy

Young Black Teenagers

Jurassic 5

The Hieroglyphics

and then throw in the years of religiously watching Yo! on MTV and various videtapes/DVDs. I could go on and on, but i've got to split for the day. The timing of this is impeccable, as I found a completely awesome Golden Era mix (Early 90's) put together by DJ DL from Get Down Alliance yesterday via a music blog that I HIGHLY reccomend DL'ing for a crash course in just how good REAL hip-hop can be...

WORD!

Plus, i'll be putting out my second all hip-hop mix 'Son of Mixtape Manifesto' soon. I keep getting too busy to finish it off, but i'll be posting the first and that one on my blog w/in the next week or so.

Probably between 5% and 10%. My first vinyl ever purchased with my own money was Run DMC's Raising Hell, and my most recent purchase was Common's Be.

El F - Everything I've heard by Del the Funkee Homosapien, I've really liked.

El F - Everything I've heard by Del the Funkee Homosapien, I've really liked.

My younger brother loved him, but i've just more recently really delved into his catalog...there'll be a tune w/ him and the Hieoglyphics ('Burnt') on my mix dropping soon that is just too fucking awesome for words. You should check out the Deltron shit he did w/ Automator too...Jeff (imdwiener) turned me onto that a few years ago and it's amazing.

You should check out the Deltron shit he did w/ Automator too...Jeff (imdwiener) turned me onto that a few years ago and it's amazing.

Deltron 3030 is my main knowledge base for him... I haven't really delved too deeply.

for those in such low %...can I ask why and what you have tried to listen to that you didn't like? promise not to judge or try to convince you to feel otherwise, i'm just curous.

I was a staunch Beatles/oldies fan in gradeschool and junior high, and the only rap i heard was when my friends would blast the biggest rap songs, like "Mo Money Mo Problems." In general when I hear a rapper doing his thing over an older rock or pop song, i just think to myself "I don't want to hear this guy, but I do like the song he's rapping over." So instead of listening to Kanye's Diamonds of Sierra Leone like all my college roommates, I listen to Shirley Bassey doing Diamonds are Forever.

As far as hip hop goes, the only stuff I hear all has the same beat and some guy talking about girls breasts or something. I went to a good number of sorority invites where throngs of rich white girls were grinding to song after song that sounded exactly the same to me. I wanted to kill myself.

In otherwords, the lack of musical strength in mainstream rap has turned me off to the genre as a whole. I know thats like being turned off of rock and roll based on fall out boy, and that i haven't listened to anything considered good, but its not something that interests me at the moment.

I grew up in NYC at the time that Qwest exploded so my music universe for a good 2-3 years revolved around them, De La, Jungle Bros, Brand Nubian, etc. I appreciated the harder stuff of the time, like Public Enemy or NWA or Geto Boys, but that kind of rap was never fun for me like the east coast stuff was.

For whatever reason -- maybe I never gave it enough of a chance -- rap since the early to mid-90s just never did anything for me. For me, it just never held a candle to Qwest's "Can I Kick It?" or De La's "Buddy" or Big Daddy Kane's "Pimpin Aint Easy".

All in, I'd say my collection is 5% rap. I suppose thats pretty darn low considering how enthralled I was with rap for a time, but like I said, I felt like the golden era passed. I guess I sound like a crotchety old geezer.

This is the summer I've been getting into Rap/RB/Hip Hop. Frankly, it simply sounder fresher than the new rock stuff I've been listening to. I have Jay Z's The Blueprint and The Black Album, which are both tremendous. I just bought Outkast's Stankonia, which is so freaking wierd it's awesome. In addition, I have most of the Beastie Boys stuff, some Lauryn Hill/ Fugees and a little old school stuff. While I d