Nickel Creek going on hiatus

Dearest Listener,

After seven years of extensive touring in support of three records (seventeen years as a band), we've decided to take a break of indefinite length at the end of 2007 to preserve the environment we've sought so hard to create and to pursue other interests. It has been a pleasure to write, record, and perform for you through the years and we'd like to heartily thank you for your invaluable contribution to our musical lives.

Yours,

Nickel Creek

(Sean, Sara, and Chris)

I am going to make sure I catch their show next month.

I am going to make sure I catch their show next month.

Here's more: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003053813

Nickel Creek Going On Hiatus, Just Not Yet

August 28, 2006, 11:20 AM ET

Katie Hasty, N.Y.

Nickel Creek will begin an indefinite hiatus in late 2007, Billboard.com has learned. The bluegrass-leaning trio will remain active on the road up until that point, but will amicably part ways afterward to pursue solo projects.

"After seven years straight of touring and three records behind us, it's in our best interest to suspend Nickel Creek by the end of next year," says group member Chris Thile, noting that he and Sara Watkins have been in Nickel Creek since they were eight years old.

"If we were to go in and do more writing, we might be in danger of forcing that process," he continues. "It's always been so natural, but lately it hasn't been quite as natural and we're running the risk of actually having to break up. We would rather leave it for a while, while it's still intact and healthy. We want to tell people about it now to dispel rumors and so that our fans aren't taken by surprise."

Each member will work on individual projects this winter, in between the fall tour and another round of dates beginning in late spring. "I want to stay off the road for once and focus on movie scoring," says group member Sean Watkins. "I'm really excited about figuring out how to make a living and keep myself in a really creative environment, without having to be gone from home."

Sara Watkins plans on collaborating with other friends and groups, as well as releasing a self-produced solo album within the next six months. Thile is touring with his solo group How To Grow a Band, whose debut album, "How To Grow a Woman From the Ground," will be out later this year.

In addition, he will team with classical bassist Edgar Meyer for an album and a tour this winter. "With both these bands, I'm looking to break down the traditional structures and ideas of what constitutes bluegrass or classical music. We'll use bluegrass instruments, but we're going to change what that means," he says.

All three members say they are ready to expand their musical horizons by "getting a life."

"When you're on the road all the time and meet all these people who love your music, you can't always relate to them because stuff never happens to you. We're supposed to be writing songs that relate to other people," Sean Watkins says. "I need to be out there and having a different life than that. I ready to write about real things again."

Here's more: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003053813

In addition, he will team with classical bassist Edgar Meyer for an album and a tour this winter. "With both these bands, I'm looking to break down the traditional structures and ideas of what constitutes bluegrass or classical music. We'll use bluegrass instruments, but we're going to change what that means," he says.

I'd be interested in hearing anything Edgar Meyer would do with him. He's awesome.

You know what,I don't think this is such a bad idea.Why not go out on a good note,with a bang.I got into them on their first release and loved them,years to come I have kind of dismissed them because of personal preference.I've made my Thille jokes for sure,just as fun,but the man can play.Making Chris play in the same band year after year is kind of like caging an endangered animal.Sara could have a really great solo carrer,damn her voice is great,and Sean,well I would love to see him go into a whole new direction with musical styles.

This is actually good news. I would much rather see Chris Thile experiment with some other musicians than play with Nickel Creek. That guy is so good but sometimes you wouldn't know it. Anyone ever heard Mike MArshall & Chris Thile Live Duets?

I saw Sarah play with Darol Anger a few months ago. She's definitely an accomplished artist. Chris is sought after heavily as a studio musician and his live talent can compliment anybody. Im sure all three will be kept busy and will grow as artists in new and varied ways.

This is probably a good move, but it is sad nonetheless. Feels like the end of an era - the first time I saw Nickel Creek was over 7 years ago...

I'm seeing Chris Thile with his band on Thursday, and will definitely check out the NC kids as much as I can in the next year!!

Nickel Creek has maintained a steady position at/near the top of my Favorite Bands list for almost 5 years now. I can absolutely understand why they would take a break from their current status, but I am still sad to see them end. (And now that I'm actually employed for real, I guarantee that a few of my sick days next year will be spent seeing a show or several at the end of their run.)

From my naive and foolishly optimistic fangirl point of view, this seems like a temporary thing. Right? Maybe? I can see the hiatus lasting a few years, perhaps, but I want to believe that they enjoy playing with each other enough to resume it at some point. Seventeen years is a long time. That seems like a reason both to take a break and to eventually reunite.

What a great band chock full of talent. Good for them to know when enough is enough.

To this day, the first time I saw them live remains of the best shows I've seen. I would definitely dig seeing them again.

Just saw Thile all weekend at the Northwest string Summit. He was a special guest throughout the weekend, sitting in w/ numerous bands. Man, can he play that mando. He played a set w/ his new bluegrass band as well. Great stuff, including a sweet IATTBYH.

I got into an argument on here a couple of years ago regarding Thile's mandolin playing. More than 1 poster assured me that his playing was average at best. That's crazy talk. I assume they had never actually seen the man play, but what a treat it is. :worship

I got into an argument on here a couple of years ago regarding Thile's mandolin playing. More than 1 poster assured me that his playing was average at best. That's crazy talk. I assume they had never actually seen the man play, but what a treat it is. :worship

Absolute crazy talk.

I would easily argue Thile is the BEST mandolin player today.

I'm not sure how "easy" your basis for the argument would be, but Thile is certainly among the top mandolin players today: David Grisman, Mike Marshall, Michael Kang, and Sam Bush.

I'm not sure how "easy" your basis for the argument would be, but Thile is certainly among the top mandolin players today: David Grisman, Mike Marshall, Michael Kang, and Sam Bush.

No one can touch the Dawg,imo...& he'll be here soon :music

Nickel Creek IS excellent,but I'm kind of a Yonder guy myself

I love that everyone jumps to the conclusion that the band is breaking up. I think breaking up is taking a back seat to indefinite hiatus these days. Bands release that sooner or later a payoff and a larger fanbase comes from a reunion, no matter how small the band may be. I can think of a lot of bands who went on hiatus only to come back years later refocused and reenergized.

Each member of NC won't be near as successful and fruitful apart. I think it's great that they want to pursue more solo opportunities and expand their musical horizons, but they'll be back together by 2009.

• 7 years later...