Hummingbird Tongues

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hummingbird's tongue is about twice the length of its beak. That would make it about 1.5 inches, depending on what kind of hummingbird you are talking about.

Curious that you mention this as I currently have a pair that have been hanging around for the past two weeks. Ruby throats...I thought they were supposed to be pretty independent creatures but these two seem to be tighter than ticks. Male smaller than the female but with the collar, the female with the white stripe at the tips of her tail feathers. They were perched upon the pedals of gladiolas that I have setting out.

And they talk up a storm to each other...."Twip, twip ....TWIP"!

Curious that you mention this as I currently have a pair that have been hanging around for the past two weeks. Ruby throats...I thought they were supposed to be pretty independent creatures but these two seem to be tighter than ticks. Male smaller than the female but with the collar, the female with the white stripe at the tips of her tail feathers. They were perched upon the pedals of gladiolas that I have setting out.

And they talk up a storm to each other...."Twip, twip ....TWIP"!

I have a theory that the so called "territorial chasing" is a complex dance that hummingbirds do for fun.

It is astounding to watch.

I have a theory that the so called "territorial chasing" is a complex dance that hummingbirds do for fun.

It is astounding to watch.

It is indeed.

They have no qualms about my immediate presence and they will fly within a mere two or three feet of me.

I also believe they take great pleasure in waiting until I am fully relaxed sitting with a hot beverage in my hands to swoop down from the trees and "buzz" past my head inevitably frightening the living daylights outta me.

Mischievous little buggers....

It is indeed.

They have no qualms about my immediate presence and they will fly within a mere two or three feet of me.

I also believe they take great pleasure in waiting until I am fully relaxed sitting with a hot beverage in my hands to swoop down from the trees and "buzz" past my head inevitably frightening the living daylights outta me.

Mischievous little buggers....

:lol

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that I should start wearing eye protection when I go into the garden. They are thick as bees out there.

If they weren't such amazing fliers, I really might!

Gazpacho!

Are you speaking to the fact that if a hummingbird sprays you, you have to take a gazpacho bath?

My kid starts his first year of 5-day-a-week pre-school today. He's really excited.

Pics?

Awesomness!! The little tike looks pretty excited.

In other news, I had between 6 and 9 Twinkies this weekend, I lost count when my blood sugar went off the charts.