Religion is the problem

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally, religion should keep people from killing other people. But wicked persons manipulate people's strong religious feelings to get them to do wickedness upon their fellow humans. You could get rid of religion, but I'm pretty sure we'd still find shit to kill each other over.

Ideally, religion should keep people from killing other people. But wicked persons manipulate people's strong religious feelings to get them to do wickedness upon their fellow humans. You could get rid of religion, but I'm pretty sure we'd still find shit to kill each other over.

Booze.

"Love "....whatever that is...

Money....nuf said....

Prestge and Power.....let the carnage begin!!!\

--Robert.

Religion can help spur tribal and ideological conflict. Modernity has been a balm on that. Most places where religion causes the most conflict are in a lurch between the feudal system and modernity (think Afghanistan).

Of course, modernity, itself, claimed its own victims (French revolution, USSR, Nazi Germany, etc) as people have tried to force new, thought out but untested forms of government on the world.

On second thought, I'm sticking to my original position....

In spite of recent studies showing religious affiliation can be a factor in living longer and having better health, human history provides ample evidence of religion as crucial factor in carnage, murder, and pain inflicted on others. The Pope's recent remarks only remind us of this fact.

:cheers

doesn't Revelations say that an evil ruler will come to power under the guise of a great positive leader and the world will be behind him until he turns us on each other?

I remember that and it always seems to be one of the most terrifying and likely things to happen that you read about in the Bible. Scary because it's actually plausible.

I don't think you're wrong,but it's a touchy subject to say the least.

Along with the other instincts we have as humans,there also seems to be an innate desire in all of us to seek answers that explain the unexplainable.Is that the main function of organized religion? It perplexes me in some ways that it is so important to find all the answers to the keys of existence.Don't you find it somewhat liberating NOT to know? From personal experience,it appears you find more when you're not actively seeking.Those are the fleeting moments to treasure.

To each his own & no flames,agreed? :peace

I think spirituality (in some/any form) is a profoundly wonderful thing, and an essential part of being human.

For me organized religion doesn't work, and I've tried almost all the main ones, but I still consider myself a religious person--though not really affiliated with any one religion specifically.

Fanaticism in any form can be a dangerous thing, whether it's nationalism, religious fervor, or even extreme love of a sports team. To the best of my knowledge the main values of every major religion in the world preach spiritual devotion, peacefullness, kindness, charity, and moderation.

I'm sure intolerance, violence, and hatred will forever be a part of religious organizations--even if only in small extremist pockets--as well as nationalist, ethnic, and political movements as long as people continue to believe that in whatever realm they are that there is only one right path and they know it. I sincerely hope that someday tolerance and understanding will be the basic underlying values of every human being, but I don't know that it will happen soon. In the meantime as an individual I will continue to do my best to be as tolerant of everyone as I can possibly be, no matter how fanatic or moderate their ideological leaning. Everything is a little step forward.

I sincerely hope that someday tolerance and understanding will be the basic underlying values of every human being, but I don't know that it will happen soon.

Someday soon,my friend :thumbup

Along with the other instincts we have as humans,there also seems to be an innate desire in all of us to seek answers that explain the unexplainable.Is that the main function of organized religion? It perplexes me in some ways that it is so important to find all the answers to the keys of existence.Don't you find it somewhat liberating NOT to know? From personal experience,it appears you find more when you're not actively seeking.Those are the fleeting moments to treasure.

For some reason, this made me track down a couple quotes from I Heard the Owl Call My Name, a book I wish I still owned.

"There's a good bit of agnostic in all of us...None of us knows much--only enough to trust to reach out in the dark."

'There are two kinds of naivete: one not aware of the problems, and another which has knocked on all the doors of knowledge and knows man can explain little, and is still willing to follow his convictions into the unknown.' - Albert Schweitzer

I can see the appeal of shunning organized religion. However, I think this often removes the community aspect of religion and thus neuters much of the good and the bad. Do you want to help the poor, the homeless? Ok, go do it. Not sure how? It's easier with something like a church, which can pool resources and unite people in a common cause. We see this in some of the great political movements in our country's history. Abolition, the end of Jim Crow, etc. Today, many churches are at the forefront of the peace movement.

Furthemore, in our contemporary American culture (I can not speak for our friends in other places), we are increasingly isolated and alienated from our neighbors. Do you know more about Brad Pitt or the person who lives next door? For me, it's sadly the former. The "bowling alone" phenomenon. I believe churches give us opportunities to reconnect with our neighbors.

"In the first place the parochial organization should always be attacked, being a unity of place and not of likings, it brings people of different classes and psychology together in the kind of unity the Enemy desires." -The Screwtape Letters

The number of people killed under Stalin and Mao Ze Dong convinces me that lack of religion does not stop violence.

Credited. This blood is on the hands of Modernity's New Forms.

'There are two kinds of naivete: one not aware of the problems, and another which has knocked on all the doors of knowledge and knows man can explain little, and is still willing to follow his convictions into the unknown.' - Albert Schweitzer

Thanks,Jorge.An amazing quote.Reminder to self: 'look up "I Heard the Owl".

At the risk of offending almost everyone, I believe the "big 3" religions are focused primarily on petty competition for claim to the legitmate origins of said religions. Buncha hooey.

Spirituality I have no problem with. Organized religion seems incapable of addressing spirituality without the politicking.

The dynamics of human group interaction don't change much after kindergarten.

zax.gif

"In all things, moderation".

Whether it's religion, french fries, or sex.

mmmmmmm........... french fries and sex...........

As has been said, more or less, by others here already, I don't feel the religion itself is the problem -- it's the twisting of religion by evil pigfuckers that is the problem.

I am not religious myself -- I have no use for it personally. But I do believe, for instance, that Jesus was a great man and a charismatic teacher, and that he wanted the best for humanity. Unfortunately, his teachings have been bastardized and turned into a source of wealth and power and a foundation for hatred by people like Pat Robertson, to name just one very prominent example. To me, Robertson is the epitome of the "evil pigfucker" I referenced earlier -- and he's not even the worst of them.

Religions have their "good" adherents and their "bad" ones. Sadly, the bad ones tend to be more adept at attracting followers, using the media to their advantage, lining their own pockets, and buying into the governmental power structure. This holds true not only in the U.S., but elsewhere.

The evil pigfuckers are more interested in increasing their own power and influence, and controlling the lives of as many people as they can, than in the honest application of the teachings of their professed religion. When religion becomes an issue of power and control and political agendas instead of love and community and charity, it has been bastardized to the point where it is no longer a religion, no longer about spirituality.

A little tolerance goes a long way when it comes to religion.

I'm a pretty religious person (Catholic), but I realize that not everyone has the same beliefs that I do, and that's ok. I have friends who are Muslim, Jewish, Agnostic, Athiest, etc. I respect their beliefs and I would hope that they would respect mine.

The problem comes in when people stop respecting others and try to push their beliefs where they are not wanted.

Since organized religion was created by humans, wouldn't that mean humans are the problem (not the answer)?

I've been trying to tell people that for years.

Seriously, human extinction sounds like a great thing to me. And it can't come soon enough.