Golden Smog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one small complaint - after all these years seeing shows I still can't figure out why sound people can't mix in keyboards better. From where I was standing, the keyboards were MIA, lost in the bass, drums guitar mix. Also there was little point (sadly) in bringing in a horn section, because they also couldn't be heard.

LouieB

The sound is NEVER what is should be when you're standing front and center. I moved around a little bit and even a few rows back it was much better. Go stand back by Stan and you'll hear it right. ;)

I had a great time at this show last night. It was a pleasant surprise to see Tweedy play at the show. And even though I'm not familiar with any Golden Smog songs (other than Tweedy's), I thought it was a fantastic show. It was hella-fun having a few drinks for JHC's birthday. I'm definitely glad I decided to come out.

As a side note: did anyone manage to get any pictures of the show? I'd love to see pictures if anyone has them!

Edited by Groo
The sound is NEVER what is should be when you're standing front and center. I moved around a little bit and even a few rows back it was much better. Go stand back by Stan and you'll hear it right. ;)

Actually I asked Wendy who was sitting in the balcony and she said it was rather minimal there too. I understand the sound isn't as good in front where the guitar amps are. It is fun to be upfront, but sadly the sound mix is predicated on how it sounds in back.

LouieB

Only one small complaint - after all these years seeing shows I still can't figure out why sound people can't mix in keyboards better. From where I was standing, the keyboards were MIA, lost in the bass, drums guitar mix. Also there was little point (sadly) in bringing in a horn section, because they also couldn't be heard.

Sam's right -- the show sounded MUCH better back from the first few rows.

Some shows they have those small on-stage front-row fill speakers for the PA, but last night they only had 2, one on each side to "fill" the main floor, in addition to the regular stacks.

One song into Tim's set I moved back to the 2nd railing from the stage, dead center. It is a nice sweet spot, excellent sight line, and everything sounded and looked perfect from there. Horns were low when they first came out, but after they told Stan to turn them up they were quite loud.

One song into Tim's set I moved back to the 2nd railing from the stage, dead center. It is a nice sweet spot, excellent sight line, and everything sounded and looked perfect from there. Horns were low when they first came out, but after they told Stan to turn them up they were quite loud.

yeah, the 2nd song the horns were in on sounded great from up front.

and Tim's set was awesome. I was really excited to see him, even moreso when I found out that Jim Boquist was in his band.

Yea, they were turned up some.

I know you are both more or less correct about this, but trying to balance it for the fans in front might be nice too. I guess that is too much to ask. You can either be upfront and be with the peeps or be in the back and hear things better. Its a trade off.

LouieB

you know anything about that new album he's working on? i heard it might only be released over seas.

he put out a longer version of the EP in Spain (3 extra tracks i believe, Green Love being one, which is one of his best songs), but he supposedly has another true full length ready.

that show meant a lot to me. if I hadn't seen them 10 years ago, who knows if I'd even be sitting here typing in this forum right now. getting into the music and the bands that Golden Smog introduced me to, lead me to the place where I'd meet the woman who would become my wife, and also lead me to a lot of really cool people.

it might seem silly, but in a weird way I owe a lot of where my life is today to that band. and they fucking rocked my socks off tonight!

thanks guys.

Third congrats on the nice sentiments, pervert.

I'll add that the sound in the front row of the balcony is always good at The Vic. It's my favorite place to be, even if I sit alone and wave down at my friends in the front row. Not hearing a good mix is really annoying to me. I understand the desire to be front and center, but you can miss a lot of what you came for in the first place.

Although, I will say I was glad when they turned up the horns at the request of some people in the audience on the floor within earshot of Gary Louris, then it was better. Lou asked if I could hear the keyboards, and yes I could, but they were none too high in the mix in the overall sound.

We were up front for CSNY (2nd row Palace at Auburn Hills in Detroit) a few weeks ago and Spooner Oldham was playing keyboards right in front of us, and I couldn't hear it well at all. But being so close to watch Neil Young's performance was worth it. :thumbup

So yeah, it's a trade off. :hmm

Also there was little point (sadly) in bringing in a horn section, because they also couldn't be heard.

I was beaten to this, but on "Never Felt Before" the horns were coming through loud and clear. I think it's because that's a pretty spare song in terms of instrumentation, at least during the horn parts.

thanks Pervert.

I love that a side effect of Kris's new name is that everyone now casually refers to him as "Pervert".

you know anything about that new album he's working on? i heard it might only be released over seas.

Some of you probably know this, but for those who don't - Kraig has a new song streaming on MySpace.

As for pictures, there were a couple of people with photography passes, so we can hope some of those turn up. I stealthily (and very quickly) took two incredibly bad photos with my phone, one of which I posted in a blog entry (linked in signature.) The other is a little less blurry, yet crappier still.