Golden Smog

As for pictures, there were a couple of people with photography passes, so we can hope some of those turn up. I stealthily (and very quickly) took two incredibly bad photos with my phone, one of which I posted in a blog entry (linked in signature.) The other is a little less blurry, yet crappier still.

Hi Brianne! So nice to finally meet you officially. You were very stealthy indeed, I didn't even notice! The young Robert Redford look-alike is Frankie Lee from Stillwater, MN. I was so happy with the show last night. I thought it was fantastic! AND I finally got to meet Mr. Jeff Tweedy........... smile.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, can someone tell me how old Kraig Johnson is? I saw him here in NYC on Sunday, and I agree, he looks friggin young! So wish I was at that Vic show.

He was actually 41 in May, not that you'd ever know it..... that boy sure is a cutie!

Yea, they were turned up some.

I know you are both more or less correct about this, but trying to balance it for the fans in front might be nice too. I guess that is too much to ask. You can either be upfront and be with the peeps or be in the back and hear things better. Its a trade off.

LouieB

it was fun down with the "peeps" last night, lou. i just wish wendy could be two places at once...then again, i wish that i could too.

STPeepers.jpg

As opposed to formerly, when it was his official nomenclature.

(harhar)

:thumbup

that show meant a lot to me. if I hadn't seen them 10 years ago, who knows if I'd even be sitting here typing in this forum right now. getting into the music and the bands that Golden Smog introduced me to, lead me to the place where I'd meet the woman who would become my wife, and also lead me to a lot of really cool people.

it might seem silly, but in a weird way I owe a lot of where my life is today to that band. and they fucking rocked my socks off tonight!

thanks guys.

I would like to dedicate the above post to Stardog.

But I did manage a call to Ms. Yvon during "Listen Joe" :)

as i was leaving work, i noticed a missed call on the cell phone.

wonderful! wonderful! wonderful! :cheekkiss

that song was gorgeous at the los angeles show, too.

ahh, wendy, thank you for making me part of what sounds like an amazing night! :love

From the Trib today...

LouieB

Golden Smog floats on its laidback vibe

By Joshua Klein

Special to the Tribune

September 21, 2006

When Golden Smog got around to releasing its first album about 10 years ago, the band was only nominally a supergroup, and a fluke side-project of a supergroup at that. Though featuring members of Soul Asylum, the Jayhawks and Wilco, only the first of the bunch had hit it big.

Things have changed a little with the third album, "Another Fine Day." Soul Asylum's popularity has waned, but Wilco finally hit the big time. The ever-promising Jayhawks have disbanded, but the band's various members remain quite active (Golden Smog leader Gary Louris co-wrote a hunk of the latest Dixie Chicks record). And perhaps inevitably, schedules have become so cluttered that getting Golden Smog together for more than a few shows is apparently a real struggle.

"This is a song from when things were simpler and easier for the Golden Smog," joked Louris, introducing "Glad & Sorry" from the group's 1995 "Down by the Old Mainstream" at the Vic on Tuesday night. Adding to the get-together-with-the-old-band vibe was the presence of Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, whose contributions to the latest album were minimal but who remains an inextricable part of Golden Smog's legacy.

He and the other players Tuesday swapped microphones, amps, guitars and a coveted rest spot on the keyboard stool. It all lent the night a loose, after-hours, last-call kind of atmosphere, so casual that even mistakes--a flubbed note here, a missed cue there--were charming.

It helped that even these ostensibly lesser tunes from the impressive likes of Louris, Tweedy, Kraig Johnson and Dan Murphy validated their reputation as strong songwriters.

Soul Asylum's Murphy regularly injected bursts of energy into the set with songs such as "V" and "Hurricane," as did Johnson with "Frying Pan Eyes." Louris' "Another Fine Day" was full of the Beatles influence that cropped up in the Jayhawks' later years. As the Smog's two most visible songwriters, Louris and Tweedy were given ample time in the spotlight, acoustic guitars in hand, dueting on the nostalgic "Long Time Ago" and "Radio King."

If the less-than-capacity crowd mostly failed to provide the requisite jovialness, there seemed to be plenty of it on stage.

Copyright

Only one small complaint - after all these years seeing shows I still can't figure out why sound people can't mix in keyboards better.

Keyboards and bass are always the hardest to mix in a smaller venue.

Glad all you guys had such a great time.............very jealous :wub

Keyboards and bass are always the hardest to mix in a smaller venue.
The bass was just fine and the Vic is not a small venue. The sound was great on every instrument and all vocals, but the keyboards and the horns (admittedly all three horns were playing to one microphone. )

LouieB

I commented that the Vic is NOT a small venue. I don't know what we are talking about any more.

LouieB

Ha ha ha,I wasn't even sure what venue this was at,my asumption,there I go again!How many were in atendance?A mix at the Vic should be rather simple,hopefully a soundboard will surface and then mastered!

Ha ha ha,I wasn't even sure what venue this was at,my asumption,there I go again!How many were in atendance?A mix at the Vic should be rather simple,hopefully a soundboard will surface and then mastered!
That's what I am hoping for too. This was a really fun show. I rarely listen to shows, but this one I would like, with the keyboard of course, since the guy was working it and his efforts for those fans in front were lost.

Either way, good times all around. The place was just over half full I would guess, with far fewer in the balcony.

LouieB