Summerteeth Vinyl

Was reading pitchfork's interview with Tapes N Tapes' Josh Grier:

>> Best Thing I Bought This Year

Summerteeth on vinyl. I'd been looking for it for years, and I freaked out when I found it. It was only $30 in this tiny record shop in London that's only open two days a week. The store is run by two old men. Apparently, years ago, they used to run the store together, but then they got into an huge argument. Now they don't talk to each other, and they each run one side of the shop (it's split down the middle). They just sit at their own counters facing each other all day and shoot each other mean glances. I'm totally fucking serious. When I found Summerteeth, I got freaked out that I was going to accidentally buy it from the wrong guy, and then they would get all offended and not let me get it. But luckily I didn't fuck it up.

30 Bucks for the elusive ST vinyl?

Heres the full link to the article: link

The funny thing is I totally know what shop he's talking about--it's called Minus Zero or something like that. I went there when I was last in London. Great little shop near the Portobello Road Market. It's only open on weekends, I think. I remember it because I wanted to buy this record from one of the men and he had gone home to tend to a broken pipe or something and the other guy couldn't sell it to me because it didn't have a price tag on it. So I had to come back a few hours later when the owner returned.

Anyway, it's a little weird that the Tapes 'n Tapes guy would find ST there for such a reasonable price 'cause it seemed like those guys had a pretty decent idea about how much stuff is worth. :brow But I guess that's why you poke around...:)

What an odd couple. :lol

Maybe it wasn't 30 US dollars, but 30 British pounds? What does Summerteeth vinyl usually go for these days, anyway?

well, wendy, i'll tell you through this not-so cryptic message: i'm still living off of $10 for these two weeks. (partially, thanks to you! :cheekkiss )

collecting vinyl can be quite dangerous. parents should warn their kids about this like drugs, smoking, and sex.

well, wendy, i'll tell you through this not-so cryptic message: i'm still living off of $10 for these two weeks. (partially, thanks to you! :cheekkiss )

collecting vinyl can be quite dangerous. parents should warn their kids about this like drugs, smoking, and sex.

Seriously. I now go to the store only when I know the wife won't be home when I walk in with a bag of new LPs. I'm worried an intervention may be coming my way soon... :music

Seriously. I now go to the store only when I know the wife won't be home when I walk in with a bag of new LPs. I'm worried an intervention may be coming my way soon... :music

HAHA, I love it!!

Has anyone else had to hide their records either under the seat or somewhere in the garage because they knew they wouldnt be able to get them in the house!!

Vinyl collecting is a dangerous hobby, possibly even worse than collecting guitars.

Vinyl collecting is a dangerous hobby, possibly even worse than collecting guitars.

You're tellin me! I have a nice dining room at my home that turned into a 'music room' just so I could house all the vinyl...everyone eats at a little nook in the kitchen :yes

My wife has begun to drop hints that maybe the stuff could now go in one the empty rooms UPSTAIRS that used to be the kids' rooms...not too sure my back could take the move!

HAHA, I love it!!

Has anyone else had to hide their records either under the seat or somewhere in the garage because they knew they wouldnt be able to get them in the house!!

Yep, behind the seat in my truck. I've also had to quickly throw them up into the nether regions of the closet when she comes home and I'm not expecting her. Wow, I'm lucky my wife isn't much of a Wilco fan or I could be found out rather quickly here. :ninja

Ive gotten mine buying them for me now, which makes things better.

I make her a list of like 25-50 records and give it to her for birthdays, christmas, whatever, and let her pick from the list. It makes a fun surprise out of my holidays, and we all know that none of us music freaks really care about much else!

This whole discussion reminds me of High Fidelity:

Is it so wrong, wanting to be at home with your record collection? It's not like collecting records is like collecting stamps, or beermats, or antique thimbles. There's a whole world in here, a nicer, dirtier, more violent, more peaceful, more colorful, sleazier, more dangerous, more loving world than the world I live in; there is history, and geography, and poetry, and countless other things I should have studied at school, including music.

:wub

I just came to the realization that I do not have the room to just HAVE records that I may never listen to again. The only things that have made this cut though are Th' Legendary Shack Shakers last one and Sonic Nurse. Summerteeth gets play, but it doesn't really SOUND good on vinyl.

I just came to the realization that I do not have the room to just HAVE records that I may never listen to again. The only things that have made this cut though are Th' Legendary Shack Shakers last one and Sonic Nurse. Summerteeth gets play, but it doesn't really SOUND good on vinyl.

Really, it doesn't sound good on vinyl? Is it a poor pressing or something? I haven't actually heard it as I've been hesitant to drop the requisite $100 that it usually goes for on ebay and haven't found a steal like the author of this post. I have all their other stuff on vinyl and it sounds great. What gives?

I wouldn't drop too much coin on it. However if your looking for things to do with 30 bucks I would reccomend the German WB 180 gram of Being There. It is excellent. Stay patient, my magic 8 ball says that Summerteeth will also have an analog remaster and be once again in print within the next 12 months. ditto AM

cheers

Cassius

I seriously wish that they would repress the old stuff. All of the Uncle Tupelo records, A.M., Summerteeth, and Mermaid Avenue. There are enough people that collect vinyl that would like a copy of it.

Does anyone know why they never pressed Mermaid II or The live record?

I seriously wish that they would repress the old stuff. All of the Uncle Tupelo records, A.M., Summerteeth, and Mermaid Avenue. There are enough people that collect vinyl that would like a copy of it.

Does anyone know why they never pressed Mermaid II or The live record?

I'm sure it was just an issue of demand. If they knew they could sell enough, they would have pressed them. I'm not sure about the numbers on the Mermaid II or KT, but I doubt they were high enough to justify a pressing. That being said, here's one customer who would buy both :)

I would assume since KT was probably recorded digitally they are smart enough to realize it would sound like ass and require like 5 LPs and just not really be worth it in the end.

Kinda curious what happened to the No Depression 180g reissue that was due this year.

I would assume since KT was probably recorded digitally they are smart enough to realize it would sound like ass and require like 5 LPs and just not really be worth it in the end.

Kinda curious what happened to the No Depression 180g reissue that was due this year.

it could fit on two LPs. three at the most.