19. Sliver

20. Territorial Pissings

21. Tourette

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find funny is that back then no one would be caught dead using the term "grunge". People used to use the ironic quotes when saying it. It's funny seeing people use the term so unapologetically now.

Funny, I remember pretty much everyone using the term unironically.

Aged badly is just another term for "you are older now". I mean, I can't get through Zeppelin IV anymore but why would it be any less of a album?? It just means I'm older, my tastes have changed, and I don't get stoned anymore.

That's how I feel. At the time Nirvana meant a lot to me--I still remember what I was doing when I heard about Cobain's death--but these days my tastes have moved in other directions. That said, I definitely think the songs hold up reasonably well, even when separated from all the cultural baggage, and I'd much rather listen to Nevermind or Unplugged in New York than anything by Pearl Jam.

the best "grunge" band was and still is the screaming trees. "i nearly lost you" is a beautiful pop single.

i liked nirvana well enough. i got bleach through a mailorder accident and thought it was a melvins ripoff, but i like the melvins, so it was cool.

Nirvana made a couple of really good Replacements records. The suits pushed them hard, while the Mats were left to wither on the vine. Alas, some 15 years later, Paul Westerberg is making great records in his basement, and Kurt is dead by his own hand. I never "got" Nirvana, but I can appreciate that they had some great songs. Really, tho, one of the yard sticks for great music is the fact that a band or writer keeps doing it... keeps improving... keeps stumbling... keeps making music. Kurt and Nirvana failed in that sense, and i cannot help but let that influence my view of that band, that sound, that time. Now is now, bring on the new Wilco record!

Nirvana made a couple of really good Replacements records. The suits pushed them hard, while the Mats were left to wither on the vine. Alas, some 15 years later, Paul Westerberg is making great records in his basement, and Kurt is dead by his own hand. I never "got" Nirvana, but I can appreciate that they had some great songs. Really, tho, one of the yard sticks for great music is the fact that a band or writer keeps doing it... keeps improving... keeps stumbling... keeps making music. Kurt and Nirvana failed in that sense, and i cannot help but let that influence my view of that band, that sound, that time. Now is now, bring on the new Wilco record!

That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in regards to music. So, by your accounts, Ringo Starr makes better music than John Lennon did simply because he kept making music while John Lennon got shot?

The production of Badmotorfinger is every bit as dated as Nevermind maybe even more so--not quite as much as Ten though. They all have those gated--snare and tom sounds.

I still dig on all three. It just sounds like a unique time and a place---and I love it when that happens.

Edited by Rufer
Me neither.

But definitely....... Paul > Kurt......Mats > Nirvana

I hear a bit. Particularly in the voice.

Listen to In Bloom. During the "He's the one, he likes all our pretty songs..." Sounds pretty similar. The music I agree, not so much.

Where is the 15 Years on "Still Feel Gone" thread? In a parallel universe this should have been the breakout, era defining album of 1991. Having said that, I'm glad it wasn't. But it's still better than "Nevermind."

Where is the 15 Years on "Still Feel Gone" thread? In a parallel universe this should have been the breakout, era defining album of 1991. Having said that, I'm glad it wasn't. But it's still better than "Nevermind."

speaking of which, does anyone notice that the opening riff to Teen spirit is identical to that of That Year? :shifty

speaking of which, does anyone notice that the opening riff to Teen spirit is identical to that of That Year? :shifty

I just listened and.. say, why didn't I ever notice that before?

Personally, I was too old for it to appeal to a rebelious streak, and never felt 'connected' to that sort of West Coast psyche. It was also at a time when I was slogging my guts out for a few years (i.e. the opposite of being a slacker) and not listening to much music, so the whole grunge movement sort of passed me by. Thus I was and am pretty much indifferent - like the raw power of some of the tracks, but never listen to it (I only ever had a cassette taped copy that's long gone now).

So, what does it mean to some of you now? Is their legacy really the likes of Blink-182?

Lights blue touch paper and retires ...

my non-appeal to this album actually matches yours very closely - very similar situation in those days, got back into music heavily in the mid -90's

Before Wilco, Nirvana ruled my world....and I'm an old fart who didn't notice them when they were putting out albums. It was Unplugged that did it for me, then got the rest of the catalog in early 2000. Then musical tastes shifted and now have not looked back.

:cheers

Me neither.

But definitely....... Paul > Kurt......Mats > Nirvana

I disagree.

As much as you can over Nirvana is overhyped, Kurt runs rings around Paul as a melodicist.

I've always considered The Replacements decidedly 2nd tier. Let it Be is a good album; Tim is inconsistent. Nirvana on the other hand has 3 great albums.

So I'd say, Nirvana > Mats. but that's me. Kurt's 8th best song to me is better than any mats.

And God...who ever said Still Feel Gone is better than Nevermind...I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. UT is overestimated on this board because of their Wilco connection.

I am a music fan; a real music fan, not a jock/frat boy. And Nevermind ranks among my top 10 favorite albums ever.