Official: "I hate Dane Cook" thread

I always loved this funny send up of Tom Cruise on Oprah. Also saw a comedy special with him on Comedy Central a couple of years ago that was really, really funny. His new movie looks like crap, and the SNL sucked.

Except for the cowbell skit, SNL has been mediocre since the early 80s, IMO.

:P

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being so popular with frat boys and frat-boys-in-waiting has made him very unpopular in the circles where the above groups are seen as the most contemptible form of human life.

...and here we have what's really going on here. If Dane Cook weren't wildly popular -- much of that popularity coming from frat boys -- this thread wouldn't even exist.

I'll admit it: half the reason I don't like the Dave Matthews Band is because of the kind of people who seem to make up his fanbase (mostly frat boys, at least where I come from). The other half is because I don't care for his music -- but an obnoxious following is a really hard thing to get past.

I saw a Dane Cook special (I think it was a full hour) on Comedy Central a few years ago that was very, very funny. That was before all of this popularity -- before anyone really knew who he was, actually. I would put that set up against just about anything any other comedian's done in the past five years. Unfortunately, his more recent material seems to be directed more toward the tastes of his growing fanbase, and I don't find it anywhere near as funny. Oh well. He was damned funny once -- and he'll always deserve credit for that in my mind.

The TSA sketch was probably the funniest thing about Saturday's show. The worst was probably the one with the two water delivery guys. The ending of that sketch had to be the weakest writing cop-out I've ever seen on SNL.

I started watching the monologue and ended up turning back to Mad TV which was geniusly airing Ike Barenholtz' Dane Cook standup impersonation at the same time. I find Dane funny at times but the parody, highlighting his shooting stares into the camera and loud obnoxious voice, was spot on. I found it amusing that I chose the fake Dane over the real one.

I always loved this funny send up of Tom Cruise on Oprah....

That's funny as hell. :lol

SNL sucks badly now. It's death knell was the departure of Jimmy Fallon and his characters, and the fact that he and Horatio Sanz were so funny together. I hope it revives somehow....

also, I think Patton Oswalt is probably my favorite stand-up right now.... :cheers

He's hilarious!

I started watching the monologue and ended up turning back to Mad TV which was geniusly airing Ike Barenholtz' Dane Cook standup impersonation at the same time. I find Dane funny at times but the parody, highlighting his shooting stares into the camera and loud obnoxious voice, was spot on. I found it amusing that I chose the fake Dane over the real one.

I saw that. It was great. "You know that one guy you hang out with always carrying a ladder? (extends arm as if holding a ladder) "It's like: what's with the ladder, dude?"

Dane Cook was funny in Waiting.... Otherwise, not so much.

I saw that. It was great. "You know that one guy you hang out with always carrying a ladder? (extends arm as if holding a ladder) "It's like: what's with the ladder, dude?"

:lol

I'll tell ya, give me Mad TV over SNL any day. I think they're on the downhill slide but to this day I'm always astounded at the accuracy of some of the impersonations. The guy who does Bush, for example. He has obviously studied Bush extensively. SNL's Bush impressions are mediocre at best. Then there's the guy who does Rod Roddy from The Price Is Right, which was hands down the funniest damn impression I've ever seen. Makes me laugh every time I think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP7qGKDBPyo

Not total garbage. It definitely had its moments last year. The problem is, those moments have gotten to be few and far between.

Eh. I pretty much gave up on SNL a few years ago. Mad TV far outreaches it and is WAY more creative IMO.

Eh. I pretty much gave up on SNL a few years ago. Mad TV far outreaches it and is WAY more creative IMO.

I've never been a huge Mad TV fan, though I would agree that it's better than SNL these days.

The truly funny moments from last season's SNL could probably be compiled into an hour-long program, with commercials. So you haven't been missing much, but there has been the occasional gem.

I've never been a huge Mad TV fan, though I would agree that it's better than SNL these days.

The truly funny moments from last season's SNL could probably be compiled into an hour-long program, with commercials. So you haven't been missing much, but there has been the occasional gem.

I do like some of those Shorts. But damn, that Cubicle Wars thing with Dane was so lame. I guess I just never hit SNL at the right moments. :lol

I don't know how MadTV is today, but my wife loves watching the re-runs on Comedy Central and outside of a few funny moments here and there...it always seems like it's trying to hard to be outrageous vs. funny.

That said, SNL has been in a hard tailspin for at least the past 4 years. I only turn it on if there isn't anything else to watch and i'm not too tired.

it always seems like it's trying to hard to be outrageous vs. funny.

that kind of describes alot of comedy these days.a very fine line there,one that a select few are able to pull off successfully.