Favorite Albums of the 80's

My favorite H

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are these like? I just read their bio on All Music Guide and still have no idea what it might sound like.

The answer is: Fan-bloody-tastic!

Much better with Biggie Tembo than after he left.

Jit is good time Zimbabwean pop with pulsating captivating rhythms and soaring guitar accompanyment - though often dealing with serious issues in the lyrics all the same.

I suppose the closest African music came to universal coverage was via some of the tracks on Paul Simon's Graceland album, though that was South Africa rather than Zimbabwe, and a very watered down turgid affair compared to the original sort of stuff here. You will not be able to keep still. I have never really been into hip-hop/rap etc. - it seems so lifeless compared to black music like this (though granted some of the earliest/best rap had a message in the lyrics etc).

Also recommended - The Four Brothers, and the Real Sounds of Africa.

In fact, because of this thread I'm going to go and buy some myself (lost what I used to have), so :cheers

This one too!

music_phases10-1.jpg

speaking of which.... anyone here heard of the "Am i wrong" tune from love spit love????

its been one of those songs that i've loved for 12 years but no one seems to know who its from. the band was Love spit love - richard butler, from the psychedlic furs was the singer... classic tune from the end of 1994

ohl, i'm listening to dean martin now!

Lots of good stuff mentioned here.

I want to put in a word for:

c84879967sr.jpgd233905c948.jpg

h43163h3au9.jpgd106686d4kg.jpg

f61049z4z1m.jpg

Also:

Elvis Costello - King of America (and a few others)

Crowded House - Temple of Low Men

David + David - Boomtown

The dB's - Stands for Decibels, Repercussion

Dire Straits - Making Movies

The Dukes of Stratosphear - 25 O'Clock, Psonic Psunspot

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms, Only Life

Robyn Hitchcock - Fegmania!, Element of Light, Invisible Hitchcock

Lemonheads - Lick

The Nils - s/t

The Reivers (a.k.a. Zeitgeist) - Translate Slowly

Squeeze - Argybargy

Stiff Little Fingers - Go For It

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights

How could I forget this one? I saw them play a small Texas club the year this album was released. Chrissie changed my mind about alot of things that night.

200px-Pretenders_album.jpg

Wasn't this '79?

How did we forget:

David Bowie-Scary Monsters

Pete Townshend-All the Best Cowboys...

New Order-Low Life

The Camber Van Beethovan collection

Buthole Surfers-Hairway to Steven

Michelle Shocked-The Texas Campfire Tapes

The Church-Starfish

Fleetwood Mac-Tusk

John Lennon/Yoko Ono-Double Fantacy

Peter Gabriel-III

The Police-Zenyatta Mondatta

Housemartins / Squeeze

Two excellent choices as far as I'm concerned.

To add to the list:-

B0007TKG2Q.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000008FM2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That and the preceeding 'Escapade' got alot of playing time back then. Production sounds a bit heavy now.

B000007UGF.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Only ever had the single - 6 months in a leaky boat

d4669330dca0121cc7a45010._AA240_.L.jpg

Message to my girl :music

How could I forget this one? I saw them play a small Texas club the year this album was released. Chrissie changed my mind about alot of things that night.

200px-Pretenders_album.jpg

Chrissie was/is my favorite female front'man' ever.Just the right mix of punk "fuck you" attitude & mainstream sensibility.I should start the day with that LP right now. :thumbup

Chrissie was/is my favorite female front'man' ever.Just the right mix of punk "fuck you" attitude & mainstream sensibility.I should start the day with that LP right now. :thumbup

She was the first, (and maybe only), femme rock star whose gender became irrelevant. Rock and roll is still a boy's game, but she claimed it as her own. I love her for it.

She was the first, (and maybe only), femme rock star whose gender became irrelevant. Rock and roll is still a boy's game, but she claimed it as her own. I love her for it.

That would have been Patti Smith, but yeah Chrissie was the real deal. I still would leave my wife for her....

That would have been Patti Smith, but yeah Chrissie was the real deal. I still would leave my wife for her....

Ah, correct you are sir.

Except for the wife part, evidently. :lol

speaking of which.... anyone here heard of the "Am i wrong" tune from love spit love????

its been one of those songs that i've loved for 12 years but no one seems to know who its from. the band was Love spit love - richard butler, from the psychedlic furs was the singer... classic tune from the end of 1994

Love that song, and many, many years later, I learned that a certain Jon Brion played piano on it.

However, their cover of "How Soon Is Now" made me cringe. :yucky