Having reunited last year with its original lineup for the first time since 1989, Dinosaur Jr. is nearly finished with a new studio album, Billboard.com can reveal. Guitarist J. Mascis, bassist Lou Barlow and drummer Murph tracked the as-yet-untitled set at Mascis' home studio in Amherst, Mass., and are eyeing a spring 2007 release on a label to be announced.

Tracks earmarked to appear on the disc include "By the Fire," "This Is All I Came To Do," "Back to Your Heart" and "Stop." Mascis is in the process of finalizing guitar and vocal parts at present.

"We spent the better part of two years touring together, so we might as well make a record together," Barlow tells Billboard.com. "The reunion thing went well, considering we held up and enjoyed it. The new album is just a way of extending it. The band pretty much does one thing at a time. I thought we'd be done after the tour, but then the album magically popped up. We probably won't do anything else, but then again, we'll see."

Barlow says the sound of the new tracks is simpler, but with the definite feel of Dinosaur Jr.'s trademark sound. "Dinosaur is something where the sound just propels us," Barlow says. "It's an energy source unto itself. The minute we started playing together, it was like, 'Oh, there it is.' It didn't surprise me though, since I've always believed in the quality of J.'s material."

The band isn't concerned with living up to the standards of its earlier work, according to Barlow. Instead, Dinosaur Jr. will go right back on the road after the album drops.

"Before we knew what we were doing, I thought, 'F*ck, we're going to get crucified,'" he admits. "In the end, though, one thing I've learned from touring with J. is that he has a devoted following of fans. I think, at some point, those people that do love your music become the most important. When you're younger, it seems like you're more interested in people you haven't tapped into. But at this point, nothing people can write about us can shock or surprise or disappoint me."

Also in the works is a Dinosaur Jr. live DVD, due May 8, 2007. Directed by Mascis' brother-in-law, Phillip Virus, the release will include live performance footage from the first half of the reunion tour, including shows in New York and Boston.

"I haven't seen it, but I'm kind of terrified because I hate live DVDs," Barlowsays. "Looking at us playing these old songs, that runs a distant second to seeing us when we were really young and f*cked up and struggling. Some really shaky, old video -- I'd rather see that. Seeing us older and more confident and paunchier... I mean, we play the songs well, but so what?"

Dinosaur Jr. is also dealing with the theft of a trailer full of its gear, which went missing in Long Island City, N.Y. Nothing has been recovered, but Barlow says the band has been too busy to dwell on the unfortunate turn of events.

"There's going to be one major heist in your career and it's going to be a bummer, so you have to be prepared for it," he says. "J. had insurance on everything. He took the biggest hit, since he lost all this gear he was comfortable with. But he immediately put himself to the task of getting new sh*t. He didn't let it get in his way, even though his stuff was worth thousands of dollars. I just lost a bass."

Remember when rock reunions used to be not cool?

I guess I am old.

your not old, it's because those who reunited were not cool. (although i can't think of one good example right now)

this, of course, is not the case in the latest rash of reunions or possible reunions.

The reunion is not the news here - it's that they are making an album. When there is cash to be made, everyone will forget thier feuds of the past eventually.

So true...Or in this case: kids. The reason was simple - Barlow needed money, so he agreed. Barlow is even recording a new Sebadoh album with the original members.

Remember when rock reunions used to be not cool?

I guess I am old.

I don't think most rock reunions are cool. As for this one, I'll have to hear the album/see the DVD to pass judgement. My general opinion is thatmost reunited or reuniting bands have already had their moment, and whether they're getting back together for financial reasons or for legitimate ones (the love of the music!), they can't just get that moment back. It's gone forever.

This is just mysticism though, nothing but my very personal opinion.

I don't think most rock reunions are cool. As for this one, I'll have to hear the album/see the DVD to pass judgement. My general opinion is thatmost reunited or reuniting bands have already had their moment, and whether they're getting back together for financial reasons or for legitimate ones (the love of the music!), they can't just get that moment back. It's gone forever.

This is just mysticism though, nothing but my very personal opinion.

the reunion dinosaur show in Houston was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Barlow just posted that they (Lou, Jake and Eric) are going to tour in the Spring, which is even better news because that means that they're gonna play old school songs.

nice, I hope they come to salt lake. I'm still waiting for Lou to mail me the sebadoh LP he told me it would take a while because he has been out of town, hopefully it will get here soon.

and do you mean Jason Lowenstein? I don't recall a Jake.

Edited by HighFives
nice, I hope they come to salt lake. I'm still waiting for Lou to mail me the sebadoh LP he told me it would take a while because he has been out of town, hopefully it will get here soon.

and do you mean Jason Lowenstein? I don't recall a Jake.

Lou says in his update that the orders will be out by Nov. 7th I believe

and yes, I mean Jason. His nickname is Jake. (i.e. jakerock/his website)

• 3 months later...
So this leaked yesterday and sounds amazing... anyone else check it out?

Someone I know listened to it and told me about it. Feels more like Without a Sound & the later albums than another You're Living All Over Me. I think, I mean, he said he thought it was a pretty solid album. He's definitely going to buy it when it comes out because the leaked version is decidedly unmastered.

I wouldn't call the leaked version "decidedly unmastered." Sounds pretty finished to me, though I'd like a bit more bass in the mix.

Also sounds pretty awesome. :thumbup Some great guitar on this record.

I've only given it a brief once-through, but find it at par with all the classic Dino, Jr. stuff they've done. It sounds like they haven't missed a step. It's great to hear them together again making great tunes.

I wouldn't call the leaked version "decidedly unmastered." Sounds pretty finished to me, though I'd like a bit more bass in the mix.

I think they're demos :innocent

Also sounds pretty awesome. :thumbup Some great guitar on this record.

It's a grower. I'm really into tracks 2, 5, 6 & 8 especially.