Tower Records is CLOSING

Just so's ya know................Tower Records was purchased over the weekend and is being liquidated. Everything must go. 10% discount on CDs right now. I'm assuming that as stock gets stale, the discount will rise.

I picked up a live Taj Mahal disc and the Kinks hillbillys disc at the Wabash store. Plenty of stuff left.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Oct 11 2006, 04:24 PM)

Just so's ya know................Tower Records was purchased over the weekend and is being liquidated. Everything must go. 10% discount on CDs right now. I'm assuming that as stock gets stale, the discount will rise.

I picked up a live Taj Mahal disc and the Kinks hillbillys disc at the Wabash store. Plenty of stuff left.

They left Annapolis about 6 months ago because their lease was up and rent increased by 100%. They were way too expensive for me anyway.

I have no love for Tower Records, but if this is true, it means my CD-browsing/purchasing options within a reasonable distance from my apartment just got reduced to Best Buy and Barnes & Noble. Kill me, please.

EDIT: the thing I will miss most about Tower Records is going in there looking for a CD from an artist, and seeing that they dont have any copies of the CD I am looking for, but have approx 40 copies of a different CD from the same artist. Awesome.

say what you will, but they at least had a better selection than best buy or borders or barnes/noble. there is like one good indie store here out in the burbs, but it's a small joint that'll usually have to order stuff...not good for instant gratification.

i liked browsing in there if anything, so i'm a kind of bummed.

I can understand that.

Believe it or not, there is actually a Borders near me in York, PA that has a selection comparable to Tower's.

Barnes & Noble sucks, though, hands-down. Their prices are outrageous to boot.

I have no love for Tower Records, but if this is true, it means my CD-browsing/purchasing options within a reasonable distance from my apartment just got reduced to Best Buy and Barnes & Noble. Kill me, please.

Hey, at least your B&N has a music section. :hmm Borders, I've found, is frequently decent in terms of finding things I never dreamed I'd actually find there. Being that there really aren't any decent book and/or record stores near me, I have to admit that I got no problem with teh Borders.

Hey, at least your B&N has a music section. :hmm Borders, I've found, is frequently decent in terms of finding things I never dreamed I'd actually find there. Being that there really aren't any decent book and/or record stores near me, I have to admit that I got no problem with teh Borders.

The Borders near you has about a quarter of the music selection that the Borders near Hartford has. Just thought I'd rub it in. :)

the tower records in campbell, ca was my hangout in high school. bought all my records there. after high school, i got a job there.

stopped by the old store while in town last summer and talked to three of the clerks i'd worked with who were still working there. the original owners sold the interest to a conglomerate awhile ago. they didn't have any jonathan richman. the clean-cut young girl working the counter didn't know who louis armstrong was.

back in the 1980's tower was a TERIFFIC company to work for. unusual, fun and strong. i've been missing the old company for a long time. it stocked the top selling albums but had deep catalogue of artists like leo kottke, robert fripp, the catheads...just about anyone who had a record.

the four years i spent there i refer to as my formative years. (wotta time, i tell you. :pirate )

"ELECTRIC FETUS v. MAGNOLIA THUNDERPUSSY"

we have a Magnolia Thunderpussy, but they only have metal bands. I use iTunes for purchasing because we hve no good indie stores round yonder

That's an awsome store name. The Fetus is definitely a broad selection, and just generally a fun store...though not gigantic in size. Iowa City has two decent indie stores but I end up buying albums online a lot just because Grinnell doesn't have anything close to a record store...oh well.

I spent an inordinate amount of my formative years hanging out on Friday and Saturday nights at the Tower Records on El Toro Blvd in El Toro, CA. We'd watch the break dancers doing their thing on big slabs of cardboard, go in and rumage around through the vinyl, then maybe head over to SavOn (I think it was SavOn) for an ice cream cone. I loved how they used to have an art department in the store to create hand-made promotional artwork for various bands/albums.

yes! i ended with some very fun stuff in my apt. after the displays came down in the store. a six foot tall foam core bugs bunny comes to mind...and a david byrne standee from "true stories"

i'd forgotten about the "open til midnight 365 days a year" business. :lol

they didn't have any jonathan richman.

The dirty gits!

First tiem I was in New York I went to the Tower records there (somewhere near Washington Square if I remember rightly). Squeeze were doing a record signing. The Brit invasion of that time was just starting. Shame it all went pear-shaped with Flock of Seagulls and Billy Idol taking off.

Tower Records in NYC was awesome for the instore performances and signings...at the them I saw or met:

Scissor Sisters

Jayhawks

Tori Amos

Bryan Adams :hmm yeah it was 1996

Depeche Mode :dancing

Ben Kweller

I love instore performances...so intimate!

I will miss Tower :upset

I forgot about those. I remember walking in the 4th Street store (in 1986 maybe) and seeing Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians.

But while I am bummed that they are closing, I also can't remember the last time I bought anything at one of the Boston-area stores.

we have a Magnolia Thunderpussy, but they only have metal bands.

The one in Columbus? I used to go there a lot when I was in college and they had a pretty good selection of everything, I thought. Then again, that was 2/3 of a decade and a store-location ago, so who knows...

The Borders near you has about a quarter of the music selection that the Borders near Hartford has. Just thought I'd rub it in. :)

:wave Thanks.

Yeah, I never said it was perfect (even as Borders goes, I've been to better), but any port in the storm will do.