Jay Bennett Article

Here

or here.

Wilco alum Bennett comes out of dark time, solo and at peace

By Kevin C. Johnson

POST-DISPATCH POP MUSIC CRITIC

10/17/2006

Multi-instrumentalist Jay Bennett's bad times in recent years extend way beyond his famous exit from rock band Wilco during its "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" period, which was uncomfortably documented in the 2002 film "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart."

Bennett and Wilco's Jeff Tweedy were filmed getting into it, culminating with the exit door permanently swinging open for Bennett. His departure led to a solo career that includes a few under-the-radar CDs for St. Louis-based label Undertow, among them 2004's "The Beloved Enemy" and "Bigger than Blue," and his new CD, "The Magnificent Defeat," on Rykodisc.

"I needed to go and do what I'm doing now," says Bennett, who is based in Chicago. "It was a mutual decision, and I don't think I can come up with anything better than things had run their course.

"He (Tweedy) needed to be the leader of a band, and I needed to be the leader of a band, and we realized that before it got superugly."

More pressing were personal issues that arose for Bennett since Wilco: close relatives dying, a serious illness in his immediate family and a divorce. All of this led to his writing more than 70 songs for what would become the ambitious, off-kilter delight of "The Magnificent Defeat." He felt that he had to get the songs off his back and that throwing himself into his work so heavily was cathartic.

While Bennett didn't set out to write songs about his recent experiences, he later realized that was what he had done. He also saw himself at times pulling back musically on the CD.

"I was riding a fine line between my admitted habit of throwing too much (stuff) at it, too many overdubs and fancy little tricks," he says. "I wanted to make a record in which someone would say it's not just a bunch of bells and whistles. But I do love bells and whistles."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shut up. (Lazy Locomotive)

You're entitled to your own opinions, but you are fighting an uphill battle. Anytime anyone posts something about Jay Bennett someone's going to say something kind of prickish (and sometimes it's spot on) and you're in the minority thinking Bennett is better then Nels as a guitar player. It's not even close in my opinion dude, I like Tweedy's guitar playing better then Jay's. A better arguement to be made is that Jay more important for the band as multi-instrumentalist, producer, co-songwriter then Cline will ever be. Do I personally agree with that statement? No. But it's a better arguement to make.

--Mike

The best part about that was they had a Q&A with him and like 4 of the 6 questions were Wilco related. I couldn't help but laugh. He HAS to get sick of that shit.

haha, it happens in EVERY interview he does. all you hear is "wilco this, wilco that". i feel bad that thats all they ever ask him.

poor jay.

You think?

I think the new album is good. I think Jay could have laid off some of the production on some tracks for sure. But there's some good material (just skip track 1, which sounds like someone making a parody of an overproduced track)

haha, it happens in EVERY interview he does. all you hear is "wilco this, wilco that". i feel bad that thats all they ever ask him.

poor jay.

because of wilco his name is sealed in rock history. i'd call that lucky, though i do sympathize that getting kicked out of such a big-name band sucks big time.

because of wilco his name is sealed in rock history. i'd call that lucky, though i do sympathize that getting kicked out of such a big-name band sucks big time.

yeah i mean i completely understand them asking him about wilco because thats where he got his name from, and thats probably where his name will always be the biggest... but i feel bad that thats all he'll ever really be asked about.

its like if keith got kicked out of the stones, you know no matter what he did for the rest of his life every question he would get asked would be about the stones.

i can't believe i just compared jay to keith richards. i completely understand if you guys ban me from the boards, haha.

I am not even going to bother defending Jay here anymore. He is a great musician, and can play guitar as good or better than anyone out there. I think the people who continue to put him down let the fact that Jeff Tweedy had a falling out with him have an influence on their opinion of him. I have met Jay, and he is one of the nicest people you will meet. He is building a great solo career. And by the way, his new album is fantastic. It is miles better than any of the new Wilco songs I've been hearing.

Guest Speed Racer
I am not even going to bother defending Jay here anymore. He is a great musician, and can play guitar as good or better than anyone out there. I think the people who continue to put him down let the fact that Jeff Tweedy had a falling out with him have an influence on their opinion of him. I have met Jay, and he is one of the nicest people you will meet. He is building a great solo career. And by the way, his new album is fantastic. It is miles better than any of the new Wilco songs I've been hearing.

Doesn't change the fact that he sings like Cookie Monster. I love Jay's playing - keyboards or guitar, but I don't much care for his voice. And you have to admit that, having nothing to do with Jeff or Wilco, he did look a little, ah, 'kooky' in IATTBYH.

Doesn't change the fact that he sings like Cookie Monster. I love Jay's playing - keyboards or guitar, but I don't much care for his voice. And you have to admit that, having nothing to do with Jeff or Wilco, he did look a little, ah, 'kooky' in IATTBYH.

"Remember all that blow in Amsterdam?"