Jay Bennett Article

I just saw Jay here in Iowa City. He mentioned that he's still good friends with Stirrat. He also said that if anyone tried to rush the stage to kiss him he would punch them out. Yikes. It truly seems he will never live out Wilco-dom.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also said that if anyone tried to rush the stage to kiss him he would punch them out. Yikes. It truly seems he will never live out Wilco-dom.

He says that to all the crowds

I really really hope that Wilco continues as a band for many years,and Nels is a part of it.He's a fantastic player.Then once we have a large repertiore of tunes with Nels,we can begin to compare ears.It's really unfair to both guys I think to compare at this still early stage,ya know?

I just saw Jay here in Iowa City. He mentioned that he's still good friends with Stirrat. He also said that if anyone tried to rush the stage to kiss him he would punch them out. Yikes. It truly seems he will never live out Wilco-dom.
I'm curious, did he say this from the stage, or did you talk to him after the show?
I really really hope that Wilco continues as a band for many years,and Nels is a part of it.He's a fantastic player.Then once we have a large repertiore of tunes with Nels,we can begin to compare ears.It's really unfair to both guys I think to compare at this still early stage,ya know?

you know what would be a lot more fair: cage match. In the loft. Webcast from Wilcoworld.net. You can hit my paypal account for your bets, weve got 2:1 odds for Nels, only because he looks dodgey.

Guest Speed Racer
you know what would be a lot more fair: cage match. In the loft. Webcast from Wilcoworld.net. You can hit my paypal account for your bets, weve got 2:1 odds for Nels, only because he looks dodgey.

Jay Farrar could sit as announcer in the vocal booth. Sam Jones will take the footage, and pre-orders for the DVD would include an 'essentials' autograph from the champion himself.

Jay Farrar could sit as announcer in the vocal booth. Sam Jones will take the footage, and pre-orders for the DVD would include an 'essentials' autograph from the champion himself.

Ken Coomer=Referee? I think so. No one would break the rules on his watch.

Jay Bennett > you

:thumbup

shut up. (Lazy Locomotive)

Dear Goodness, it was a JOKE, and more than anything a joke based on the fact that anytime Jay's name is brought up on VC, a Jay/Nels debate always seems to unfold. Why some people on this site get so defensive and uptight over a message board fan site is beyond me.

P.S. I love Wilco. Take a deep breath there buddy.

Jay Farrar as announcer? :omg

Maybe he could write the theme music for the DVD. Let Mike Heidorn do the talking.

Dear Goodness, it was a JOKE

The hell you say.

Ok so I figured I would put this in the Jay string...haha

I am seeing Jay tomorrow in Pittsburgh. I was thinking of trying to meet him after the show. I have a copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot that I have already gotten signed by Jeff, Glenn, and John.

Would it be in bad taste to ask him to sign it?

I'm kind of a completist, but I'm also a human being...

Ok so I figured I would put this in the Jay string...haha

I am seeing Jay tomorrow in Pittsburgh. I was thinking of trying to meet him after the show. I have a copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot that I have already gotten signed by Jeff, Glenn, and John.

Would it be in bad taste to ask him to sign it?

I'm kind of a completist, but I'm also a human being...

I don't think it would be in bad taste. he'd probably appreciate it. I imagine he's still proud of his contributions to the album.

while i'm not gonna get into the Jay vs. Nels vs. whatever debate, it seems that a good portion of the people who diss on Jay never even saw the band live in person with him and base most of their comments off of how he was percieved in IATTBYH

i will not argue that Nels is a better technical player than Jay Bennett, that's no question (Nels is a better guitarist than like 90% of guitarists out there), but Wilco's shows from '96-99 were quite awesome, just as good if not better than they are now. i prefer the new lineup (maybe sans Pat (no offense, i just don't think he contributes all that much, or at least not enough to outweigh my disinterest in his stage presence), and the dynamic is so different you can't really compare, so i'll just say that the Bennett era and the current era are both awesome in their own respect.

i WILL say however, that their setlists and shows were much more spontaneous and unpredictable back then, that's for sure. if i had to have one gripe about their shows from '02 until now, it's the predictability.

i prefer the new lineup (maybe sans Pat (no offense, i just don't think he contributes all that much, or at least not enough to outweigh my disinterest in his stage presence),

wow. I'm surprised to read that. I think Pat's presence really rounds things out. hmpf. to each his own. :)

wow. I'm surprised to read that. I think Pat's presence really rounds things out. hmpf. to each his own. :)

sorry, i think he's trying to be a rock star in a band that doesn't need any of your typical rock star posturing (i hate it in most any band though, but especially Wilco)

sorry, i think he's trying to be a rock star in a band that doesn't need any of your typical rock star posturing (i hate it in most any band though, but especially Wilco)

I see him as a very competent lead guitar player who's willing to step aside and play auxillary keyboard and percussion parts for the good of the band; aside from "i'm a wheel", not really rock star posing at all.

while i'm not gonna get into the Jay vs. Nels vs. whatever debate, it seems that a good portion of the people who diss on Jay never even saw the band live in person with him and base most of their comments off of how he was percieved in IATTBYH

Egg-zactly

I see him as a very competent lead guitar player who's willing to step aside and play auxillary keyboard and percussion parts for the good of the band; aside from "i'm a wheel", not really rock star posing at all.

maybe he doesn't do the windmills or the rock star poses anymore? :brow

i haven't seen Wilco sine '04, maybe he's toned it down, if so cool.

i have nothing wrong w/ his musical or vocal abilities, i just was turned off a bit by his goofy faces and rock star poses/moves, that's all. i know i'm not alone in that, heck even Jeff has made fun of them from time to time.

Jay Bennett would be nothing if it weren't for Wilco so anyone who feels bad for the guy when reporters ask him about it, forget it...he owes a lot to Wilco. That being said, Wilco owes a lot to him as well and I think they know that much of their success before and leading up to YHF can be attributed to him.

Let's all just take a moment and be thankful that post-Bennett Wilco still manages to rock our socks off day in and day out.