"The Magnificent Defeat"

Jay's new album "The Magnificent Defeat" is really great. It took me a bit to really let it sink in, but after seeing him perform nearly all of it at Fitzgerald's, I am really loving it. The biggest criticism people seem to have about his work is that it is overproduced, but this one does not suffer from that. While there are a few songs that have that junkyard/"sonic experimentation" style of his ("Slow Beautifully Seconds Faster," "Phone Book"), this album has a great sound and production. "5th Grade," "Out All Night," "Wide Open," "Replace You" (a Courtesy Move recording, with John Stirratt and Ken Coomer) are all great songs. The last song, "Good As Gold," is stripped back with only acoustic guitar and Jay's voice, which has improved a lot. I highly recommend you check this album out!

www.jay-bennett.com

www.myspace.com/jaybennett

what specifically did you think was overproduced? i think there is a fine line between detail/layering and overproducing. these songs are very well recorded and there aren't any overdubs or instruments that don't belong. Those 2 tracks I mentioned are the only real out there sonic experimentations, and those are done that way on purpose. It wasn't to get a song perfect and keep adding and adding and adding, but to make a creative and skeletal yet lush sounding track. The songs all sound great and well produced. They all have little details that you find as you listen more and more, but only add to the songs. I felt the way you did at first too, but I just kept listening to it. It will click, but this album needs to grow on you. It did for me and I absolutely love it! Jay should be extremely proud of this record.

I have given it one full listen (well, almost a full listen). Jen and I were on a road trip somewhere, and a couple of songs really stuck out as being good -- you know, like when you look over at the other person listening and they are looking back at you to see if you noticed how good it was as well -- that kind of good. But it was only one listen and we weren't paying 100% attention to all of it, so I plan on giving it a few more spins yet.

I guess I'm speaking for Jen, but we discussed this in the car -- we both prefer his voice as not the lead, but in harmony with someone else. And yeah, that first song was not a good opener.

I have given it one full listen (well, almost a full listen). Jen and I were on a road trip somewhere, and a couple of songs really stuck out as being good -- you know, like when you look over at the other person listening and they are looking back at you to see if you noticed how good it was as well -- that kind of good. But it was only one listen and we weren't paying 100% attention to all of it, so I plan on giving it a few more spins yet.

I guess I'm speaking for Jen, but we discussed this in the car -- we both prefer his voice as not the lead, but in harmony with someone else. And yeah, that first song was not a good opener.

yup, wendy. beautifully put. you know me so well.

my fave was the john/ken collaboration too...i didn't even know that it was one until we saw it in the liner notes.

wendy, weren't we sitting in the parking lot at subway before making a record store run? :lol

Guest Speed Racer
what the hell is your problem? you don't have any idea what you're talking about. all's i said was that the album needs to grow on you.

'Wait for it to click' remarks are generally interpreted as 'I have reached a higher state of enlightenment than you' around these parts.

'Wait for it to click' remarks are generally interpreted as 'I have reached a higher state of enlightenment than you' around these parts.

Yeah, I still don't listen to the "drone" the right way :hmm

I didn't mean it that way at all. I just meant that for me this album was a grower.

What if it means literally what it means? "Hail to the Thief" by Radiohead took me a good nine months, and "Guero" didn't even come out of its' shell 'till "The Information" came out! Some might say it as "I have a higher state of enlightenment", I say it as "I'm slow as hell! It took me forever to get this album!"

What if it means literally what it means? "Hail to the Thief" by Radiohead took me a good nine months, and "Guero" didn't even come out of its' shell 'till "The Information" came out! Some might say it as "I have a higher state of enlightenment", I say it as "I'm slow as hell! It took me forever to get this album!"

Good to know that music fandom, discussion, criticism etc. is not completely overrun by insecure folks who get really upset when you don't take their feelings into account. Really were all strangers/friends here, whose gonna get hurt. Jay Bennett solo sucks ass, the drone rules you just arent patient enough, AM is the most overrate pile of plastic on this board. (See that was about as in your face as I can be, it might not provoke an interesting discussion, but really if you disagree with any of my overstated opinions does it really hurt your feelings, is it disrespectful to play the dozens when your talking rock?)

If it means literally what it means, then it's patronizing. To suggest that just because you "got it" after repeated listens means that someone else will have the same experience, as if they are not listening to it the right way, is a big fat fucking pile of condescension.

If it means literally what it means, then it's patronizing. To suggest that just because you "got it" after repeated listens means that someone else will have the same experience, as if they are not listening to it the right way, is a big fat fucking pile of condescension.

Try reading that post again, I think you're missing the point.

Exactly.

I plan to hear it at least twice more through before I make any conclusions.

How dare you condescend to me just cause I thought I didn't like it even though I never heard it.

But seriously, (sorry too much monkeying around :monkey ) does it have the overcompressed vocal sound and trite lyrics that undermined his last effort, because I would guess it contains the literate and imaginative arrangements for a somewhat vast array of instruments his last effort did as well.

How dare you condescend to me just cause I thought I didn't like it even though I never heard it.

But seriously, (sorry too much monkeying around :monkey ) does it have the overcompressed vocal sound and trite lyrics that undermined his last effort, because I would guess it contains the literate and imaginative arrangements for a somewhat vast array of instruments his last effort did as well.

Trite lyrics? You have heard the new Wilco songs, haven't you?

Guest Speed Racer

New Wilco lyrics being trite or simplistic (not that I would agree with that) would not make Jay's lyrics any less trite or simplistic (not that I have heard them). Just sayin' they're independent of each other.

There's a distinct difference between trite and simplistic.

way to look like an idiot :thumbup

You weren't even talking about the same Jay Bennett album that I am. You were talking about one that came out 2 years ago. I guess you didn't notice that the thread was dedicated to the NEW album of his. It's funny that whenever Jay plays a solo, he's overplaying and killing the song. When Nels takes one, he's "serving the song" and "capturing the essence of Tweedy's lyrics." When Tweedy writes lesser lyrics, they're "simplistic" and "fun". When Bennett does it, they are "trite".

way to look like an asshole :thumbup

Neil Young has sold so many bad lines, like I can't believe I am singing it, I think Tweedy might pull it off. People are just mean to Jay Bennett cause they dont like him, and his voice isnt as appealing, and he was caught on documentary at probably the most neurotic moment of his life. Poor guy, I'll give his record a listen, he's no slouch, he's no Nels Cline either, but neither are you, or me. Wheres your freakin album? huh?

You weren't even talking about the same Jay Bennett album that I am. You were talking about one that came out 2 years ago. I guess you didn't notice that the thread was dedicated to the NEW album of his. It's funny that whenever Jay plays a solo, he's overplaying and killing the song. When Nels takes one, he's "serving the song" and "capturing the essence of Tweedy's lyrics." When Tweedy writes lesser lyrics, they're "simplistic" and "fun". When Bennett does it, they are "trite".

way to look like an asshole :thumbup

Oh yeah, and that guys not an asshole, I was the one talking about an album from two years ago. He was just explaining how Jay Bennett writes trite lyrics in general.