Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

I saw the movie. A couple of parts (end of the dinner party, fight over the magazine) were out of this world funny, but I was a little disappointed overall. All the stuff about Pamela Anderson seemed forced, and the scene with her was clearly staged. Still, a very funny movie, and Sacha Baron Cohen is one funny motherfucker.

I saw the movie. A couple of parts (end of the dinner party, fight over the magazine) were out of this world funny, but I was a little disappointed overall. All the stuff about Pamela Anderson seemed forced, and the scene with her was clearly staged. Still, a very funny movie, and Sacha Baron Cohen is one funny motherfucker.

well, if you look at the credits, they hired a person just to set up the kidnapping. the last part was one of the only staged parts in the movie, which is "very nice"

I suppose that's possible, but that Pam ran out into the parking lot, rather than hiding behind her bodyguards (where were they?) or security, and the fact that Borat was not torn limb from limb by 40 basement-dwellers there to get Pam to sign her centerfold, lead me to believe that the whole thing was staged. I have no inside knowlege to support or refute this, however.

There's an article on Salon.com regarding what is real and what is fake in Borat Here's what it says about the Pam Anderson scene:

The Scene: Borat tries to kidnap Pamela Anderson

Where: Los Angeles

A lovelorn Borat finally meets the object of his desire at a Virgin Megastore and attempts to kidnap her by throwing a bag over her head. After she escapes, he then chases the barefoot Anderson into the parking lot, where he is thrown to the ground by two security guards.

What happened: Anderson tells MTV that she has been sworn to secrecy about her involvement with the project, but says, "I love Sacha. He's such a nice guy ... He's the new Monty Python."

Despite her silence, it seems more than likely that Anderson was in on the joke. In August 2005, when the film was still shooting, there were suspicious reports of a Malibu beach commitment ceremony between Anderson's two dogs that was interrupted by Borat, who "emerged from the surf astride an inflatable turtle." Borat, the story claimed, "sprinted toward Anderson and felled her with a perfectly executed rugby tackle ... [she] struggled to her feet and brushed sand off of her long white gown as her loyal bodyguards seized the interloper, dragged him back to the shore, and dunked him in the hungry waves." That sounds like an alternative ending that might have just been too implausible to make the final cut. But we're sure it'll wind up in the DVD.

I guess I am in the minority here. I despise Borat, Ali G, Cohen and all that 11 O'clock show crap. Ricky Gervais as well. Little Britain is another.

Channel 4, so much to answer for...

might be diff if we were exposed to it as much as you guys are ;)

I don't even think it's that. I just find it crass. Say Borat was a white power redneck and was ragging on black people? Would that be funny? Same principle more or less.

Hey, each to his own. Comedy is very subjective. I thought the Royal Family, shown on tv over here, was hugely funny but others might think it trash.

I'd presume that most people who find Royle Family funny also love Borat. At least I do.

Now that pic is funny!

Never mind me, I was one of the few outside Chris Rock's family to enjoy Everybody Hates Chris. :hmm

And by the way Finland rocks, in the summertime. Coming out of a Helsinki nightclub at 4:45 am and it is still bright as noon is tops. :cheers

I don't even think it's that. I just find it crass. Say Borat was a white power redneck and was ragging on black people? Would that be funny? Same principle more or less.

Hey, each to his own. Comedy is very subjective. I thought the Royal Family, shown on tv over here, was hugely funny but others might think it trash.

but he's jewish, ragging on jews... ;)

the kidnapping was obviously something they planned on doing as the end for the movie BUT i was told pam had no idea about it so it was partially real. true?

you can tell it was staged, because when Borat bags her somewhere in her struggle her shoe(s) fall off, and then when she is running outside she has her shoes back on, so they obviously did a take or two.

Say Borat was a white power redneck and was ragging on black people? Would that be funny? Same principle more or less.

Except that Cohen's satirical method is to engage in over-the-top prejudice in order to expose the folly of prejudice.