Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard these? How do they sound?

I'm very happy with them. I bought them all a few days ago and I listened to them all yesterday. I also owned all the original cd versions, save for the first self-titled disc. After i listened to these, I went to Disc Replay(that's the used music store where i work) and sold my original copies. I won't need them anymore. These remastered discs are both louder and crisper. Also, my boss took a look at an audiophile message board that he frequents, and the Neil Young fans there had apparently heard them and gave them pretty good reviews. I wish i had that link to post here, but I don't.

I'm very happy with them. I bought them all a few days ago and I listened to them all yesterday. I also owned all the original cd versions, save for the first self-titled disc. After i listened to these, I went to Disc Replay(that's the used music store where i work) and sold my original copies. I won't need them anymore. These remastered discs are both louder and crisper. Also, my boss took a look at an audiophile message board that he frequents, and the Neil Young fans there had apparently heard them and gave them pretty good reviews. I wish i had that link to post here, but I don't.

If you've heard the Cd's from the Archives Box; they are exactly like that. Amazing when compared to the original CD's!

the releases a few years ago like ON the Beach - they're not going to re-release those are they?

i assumed they were remastered at that time - OTB may have never been on CD prior to that, but i'm not a NY afficiando like some of you are.

the releases a few years ago like ON the Beach - they're not going to re-release those are they?

i assumed they were remastered at that time - OTB may have never been on CD prior to that, but i'm not a NY afficiando like some of you are.

The Missing Six:

Time Fades Away

Journey Through the Past

On the Beach

American Stars 'n' Bars

Hawks & Doves

Re*ac*tor

The latter four were released in 2003 on CD for the first time. I think that's what you are thinking of. The Archives released the movie of JTTP. I am assuming the soundtrack and TFA will be part of the 2nd installment of The Archives.

What was released a few weeks ago are the first 4 solo albums with new remastering. They sound amazing compared to the CD's that have long been on sale by WB. In fact, they sound just like the material on the Archives release. I doubt they will bother redoing the titles that came out in 2003, but who knows with Neil....

Sometime last year, I picked up On The Beach on vinyl. I'm looking forward to moving to my new place so I can finally unpack my record player again and give ol' Neil a spin, as well as Wilco (The Record)

The Missing Six:

Time Fades Away

Journey Through the Past

On the Beach

American Stars 'n' Bars

Hawks & Doves

Re*ac*tor

The latter four were released in 2003 on CD for the first time. I think that's what you are thinking of. The Archives released the movie of JTTP. I am assuming the soundtrack and TFA will be part of the 2nd installment of The Archives.

Sometime last year, I picked up On The Beach on vinyl. I'm looking forward to moving to my new place so I can finally unpack my record player again and give ol' Neil a spin, as well as Wilco (The Record)

I scored a copy last summer. It sounds amazing. I've got my eyes peeled for TFA on vinyl.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar Player magazine interview - by way of Thrasher's Wheat:

Neil discusses Archives Vol.#2 which will include Time fades Away II. TFA#2 is an alternate version from the tour's second half.

"One thing I'll tell you about the next volume of Archives is that Time Fades Away II is in there. And it's interesting because the whole thing has a different drummer than what was on that album. I switched drummers halfway through the tour- Kenny Buttrey was in there for the first half, and Johnny Barbata came in for the second. It's a completely different thing, with completely different songs. So that's interesting. There's lots of stuff like that that I'm working on right now for the second volume."

this sounds interesting. i hope it doesn't mean that the original TFA wont be on the vol II.

It is a possibility that it won't be, though. I remember reading something a while back about how there are no actual "original" TFA tapes left, because the way they made that album involved some bizarre on-site mixing scheme using a mobile tractor trailer. So there's no chance of remastering the tapes, since they were mixed on-site. Or something like that.

I feel fortunate to have somehow scored TFA on vinyl about 10 years ago.

It is a possibility that it won't be, though. I remember reading something a while back about how there are no actual "original" TFA tapes left, because the way they made that album involved some bizarre on-site mixing scheme using a mobile tractor trailer. So there's no chance of remastering the tapes, since they were mixed on-site. Or something like that.

I feel fortunate to have somehow scored TFA on vinyl about 10 years ago.

a 320kbs rip of the HDCD of TFA that was supposed to come out years ago is out there on the web. i have it, and it sounds great! so there shouldn't be any reason it is not on vol. II.

neil has been quiet for a while. he's touring, yes, but that's over. i will be surprised if we don't get something this fall. Toast and Harvest Moon live are set to come out. i'm also thinking a new album spring '10 or fall '10. it's about time neil made a good acoustic album, even less produced than silver and gold.

Guitar Player magazine interview - by way of Thrasher's Wheat:

Cool. I'm going to pick that up.

A little off topic, but this is a great quote:

Listening to Young play guitar is the aural equivalent of watching a man wrestle an alligator, with all the chaos and drama that the image implies. No matter how sweet the melody he wrings from his legendary black 1953 Les Paul or weathered Gretsch, it has serrated edges that glisten dangerously, like tiny shards of broken glass. When it comes to guitar playing, we've always admired Eric Clapton's elegance, Jimi Hendrix's psychedelic daring and Joe Satriani's precise shredding. But it's the raw, craggy, "fucked-up-ness" of Neil Young's guitar work that satisfies our most primal musical sensibilities.

I've got tix to see Neil play acoustic on the beach (at Ambleside Park, that is) in September. I'm even willing to put up with Sheryl Crow and Sarah McLachlan for the privilege. Now that's true love.

Cool. I'm going to pick that up.

A little off topic, but this is a great quote:

I've got tix to see Neil play acoustic on the beach (at Ambleside Park, that is) in September. I'm even willing to put up with Sheryl Crow and Sarah McLachlan for the privilege. Now that's true love.

that clinches it. neil is working up an acoustic album. hopefully a solo tour to follow.

I wouldn't mind if he released Homegrown early. Kind of like the performance series from Volume 1.

Are there any bootleg tapes of that album floating around? I've got live versions of some of the songs (i.e., the stuff from ABD), but I don't think I've ever heard any studio versions of them.

Are there any bootleg tapes of that album floating around? I've got live versions of some of the songs (i.e., the stuff from ABD), but I don't think I've ever heard any studio versions of them.

As far as I know the only studio recordings from Homegrown that are out there are the ones that made it onto later albums. But I did read in an interview that Neil was planning on making it a part of the archives.

As far as I know the only studio recordings from Homegrown that are out there are the ones that made it onto later albums. But I did read in an interview that Neil was planning on making it a part of the archives.

as with the live performance series (filmore, massey hall) there's supposed to be an 'unreleased album' series. Toast will be a part of this other possibilities are listed below.

Homegrown

Chrome Dreams

Comes A Time (acoustic)

Island In the Sun

Times Square

2nd Blue Notes album

Toast

i know i'm forgetting some...

as with the live performance series (filmore, massey hall) there's supposed to be an 'unreleased album' series. Toast will be a part of this other possibilities are listed below.

Homegrown

Chrome Dreams

Comes A Time (acoustic)

Island In the Sun

Times Square

2nd Blue Notes album

Toast

i know i'm forgetting some...

Old Ways I, Time Fades Away II, Human Highway (if it was even finished), and possibly the legendary Brigg's version of Tonight's the Night?