Another harvest of Neil Young

I've been watching Archives Vol. 1 on blu-ray the past few nights with my son's PS3 and an HDTV. Don't have surround sound but what is coming through the TV speakers is pretty damn good. I watched the CSNY portions to see what video clips were included and was not disappointed. Film footage of several Neil songs from the Fillmore East shows is pretty cool. The film is a little grainy even on HD, but overall it is a masterpiece. Can't wait for the Wilco Archives to come out. Are you out there Jeff?

I purchased the archives on CD for now, and I'm loving the set... def. worth the money. I'm going to invest in the Blu-Ray eventually, but I'm waiting on the tech for a while.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in the liner notes - I think. I have read that he had never played the banjo before cutting that track. I didn't get to see the film, as my TV is not working very well these days.

tv not working is a blessing:)

i like riverboat way more than canterbury house.

tv not working is a blessing:)

i like riverboat way more than canterbury house.

I don't know about that - I missed the Neil film, and I get upset if I can't watch Magnum P.I. every night.

i missed the PBS thing.

hopefully it reairs soon.

i thought about buying the CD version but ended up not getting it.

Harvest is his only album i own on CD, though i have several more i've bought cheaply on used vinyl.

managed to download this all off the internet for free the other day (neil would be very pleased that his music is being distributed by the most cutting edge means of hearing stuff!) and i think i'm just going to make a good double cd out of the best bits and delete the rest. i've never really been a massive fan of live cd's - i think live music works best live or on dvd where the images add something to it all, so there's a huge ammount here that doesn't interest me.

managed to download this all off the internet for free the other day (neil would be very pleased that his music is being distributed by the most cutting edge means of hearing stuff!) and i think i'm just going to make a good double cd out of the best bits and delete the rest. i've never really been a massive fan of live cd's - i think live music works best live or on dvd where the images add something to it all, so there's a huge ammount here that doesn't interest me.

totally agree. i love the version of sugar mountain from canterbury house and was hoping the rest of the disc was as good. not so. same with river boat. i'm totally underwhelmed with the archives. the first disc is fun to hear once and that's it. i think there's about only one cd worth of stuff on there. bad fog and the full band journey through the past are the biggest songs on the set for me. i was more excited to finally get a remastered version of the the first neil young album on itunes. damn, it sounds so good. now i wish springsteen would remaster the rest of his discs. way over due.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this on a Stones board this morning.

Neil Young & Paul McCartney A Day In The Life

Hyde Park, June 27,2009

Pretty great/interesting performance. Would have been nice to have seen it live.

Hyde Park, June 27,2009

Pretty great/interesting performance. Would have been nice to have seen it live.

you know, i'm sitting here watching this wondering why i even try to get into new music. the beatles and neil young! if that's all there was, i would probably be okay. (i like farrar and tweedy too, though:)

EPIC.....got chills just watching on youtube....for those that were there, must have been amazing.

It was! :) Completely made up for missing Glastonbury, more than made up for it! Neil was amazing up until that point as well, as good as I've seen him...

Other than that, Seasick Steve was brilliant, Mumford & Sons too, but Fleet Foxes were just OK. Note perfect, clinical, but just didn't really get me going bar one or two (Oliver James being one special moment)...p'raps I was just expecting too much.

When did this come out? I had no idea the remasters were being released yet.

they're only digital at this point (amazon, itunes). i believe discs will be coming out at some point too. this is all just more of the frustrating ironic puzzle of the archives failure. neil young's excuse for not putting the archives out was his hate of digital sound. so he waits and waits and then puts them out on a dying medium...hardware (blueray no less). and if that wasn't strange enough, he puts out the first four albums out only on that 'shitty mp3' medium. go figure.

Hyde Park, June 27,2009

Neil recently did Burned - which I think is pretty cool.

I can't say I care for his version of A Day In The Life. I suppose I am just to use to hearing the actual studio take of it.

• 3 weeks later...

The first four albums of the Neil Young catalog(Neil Young, Everybody Knows Is This Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, and Harvest) were reissued on July 14th on cd as well, for those of you who didn't know. It took me by surprise to find them today while browsing at Best Buy. I bought them all for $9.99 each!

Here's the amazon link:

The remasters are the first 4 cds listed

I still don't understand what the point of putting CDs in this boxset that he previously released on their own (Riverboat, Massey Hall, Fillmore). He wants people to buy them twice? I also don't get why he put tracks from the original releases on here. Sure, the remastering sounds nice (although a lot of them were already released in remastered format with the Greatest Hits release a few years ago) but again, I don't like buying the songs twice and the novelty of the remastering will become irrelevant once those re-releases come out ...one day. I really think he should have gone the way of the Beatles' Anthology CDs or Dylan's Bootleg series.

However, there's a lot of stuff I haven't heard before (including Bad Fog of Loneliness and Journey Into The Past) which I really like.

WHEN: Last night!

HOW: Magic!

WHY: Cause I'm the greatest. Also: my awesome Johnny Canuck picture is enough to spread the Canuck-gospel through the forums. Everyone already knew I'm the Cowboy Poet, now it's official. Plus, I'm not actually a doctor.

/thread

The first four albums of the Neil Young catalog(Neil Young, Everybody Knows Is This Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, and Harvest) were reissued on July 14th on cd as well, for those of you who didn't know. It took me by surprise to find them today while browsing at Best Buy. I bought them all for $9.99 each!

Here's the amazon link:

they harvested Harvest yet again?

hasn't that already been remastered recently?

Here's the amazon link:

Has anyone heard these? How do they sound?