Another harvest of Neil Young

Neil's set from last night.

Mr. Soul / When You Dance, I Can Really Love / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Spirit Road / Barstool Blues / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Change Your Mind / The Needle And The Damage Done / Lost In Space / The Ways Of Love / Goin' Back / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Speakin' Out / Tonight's The Night / Albuquerque / World On A String / Hit The Road / Get Behind The Wheel / Just Singing A Song // Love And Only Love

true to form, the dude put's out probably his worst album and then plays a set like this! gonna have to get a copy of this show. lost in space, ways of love, goin' back, change your mind...awesome! :worship

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true to form, the dude put's out probably his worst album and then plays a set like this! gonna have to get a copy of this show. lost in space, ways of love, goin' back, change your mind...awesome! :worship

Worse that Landing on Water? Bad album or not, I've seen upwards of 20 Neil shows and have yet to see a bad one. The dude brings it live.

Neil's set from last night.

Mr. Soul / When You Dance, I Can Really Love / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Spirit Road / Barstool Blues / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Change Your Mind / The Needle And The Damage Done / Lost In Space / The Ways Of Love / Goin' Back / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Speakin' Out / Tonight's The Night / Albuquerque / World On A String / Hit The Road / Get Behind The Wheel / Just Singing A Song // Love And Only Love

That is an amazing set list. I always loved 'Change Your Mind'. 'Barstool Blues' is another underplayed favourite. The only downside is the three new songs towards the end of the set. That's a strange way to pace a show. They should have been near the start of the set. I'm loving the four Tonights The Night tracks in a row!!

Worse that Landing on Water? Bad album or not, I've seen upwards of 20 Neil shows and have yet to see a bad one. The dude brings it live.

i actually like the 'songs' on LOW, but the production is terrible. the song drifter would make an awesome acoustic powerhouse in the vein of hitchhiker i think.

i actually like the 'songs' on LOW, but the production is terrible. the song drifter would make an awesome acoustic powerhouse in the vein of hitchhiker i think.

Doesn't that album have 'touch the night' on it? If not for the shocking 80s production that song could have been a major addition to Neils catalogue. The album artwork sucks too.

• 3 weeks later...
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/c...ves-box-21-yea/

review of archives vol 1. i guess advanced copies are coming out. leak soon please! re-reading shakey, so this will be fun to check out, even though it wont be spectacular.

what's ironic about this whole set is that neil has always said the archives are gonna be everything. well, it's obviously not everything. half of the studio tracks are not there and there's gotta be some more live stuff from that era. what ever. the other thing is that the blueray bonus is 'getting new material' when it's available. don't they already have it all? i swear, neil made a deal with java and blueray and waited till the hd war was over to release this.

I can't believe I've been listening to Neil Young for over twenty years. I love Neil Young......but why would I want to get this? Its such a confused project. I would love a single disk of the material that is not already available, but I can't see the point in shelling out for the rest of the stuff I already own. I've got Massey Hall, I've got Filmore, I've got 60% of the other songs aswell.

Another issue I never understood was Neil's insistance that 'sound matter's' and that the sound quality must be the highest standard. That fine if I was listening to Pink Floyd, but Neil Young sounds just as good on a battered slab of Vinyl or a old, twenty year old cassette of 'On The Beach'. Not fussed about remastered recordings when it comes to Neil Young.

Still, got to love the old guy. It's good that he's still around and doing it his way I suppose.

I can't believe I've been listening to Neil Young for over twenty years. I love Neil Young......but why would I want to get this? Its such a confused project. I would love a single disk of the material that is not already available, but I can't see the point in shelling out for the rest of the stuff I already own. I've got Massey Hall, I've got Filmore, I've got 60% of the other songs aswell.

Another issue I never understood was Neil's insistance that 'sound matter's' and that the sound quality must be the highest standard. That fine if I was listening to Pink Floyd, but Neil Young sounds just as good on a battered slab of Vinyl or a old, twenty year old cassette of 'On The Beach'. Not fussed about remastered recordings when it comes to Neil Young.

Still, got to love the old guy. It's good that he's still around and doing it his way I suppose.

great points. especially about sound matters. it would be so great if neil did this the way springsteen and dylan have done it. one set of all unreleased tracks.

Well, some people care about how releases sound. I have found that most first generation cds sound terrible. And some things, such as On The Beach, for example were out of print until a couple of years ago.

Well, some people care about how releases sound. I have found that most first generation cds sound terrible. And some things, such as On The Beach, for example were out of print until a couple of years ago.

of course people care about sound. BUT, waiting for blueray is just an excuse.

of course people care about sound. BUT, waiting for blueray is just an excuse.

I believe Mr. Young is fascinated by new technology, which is part of the reason he went with Blu-ray. I think the other reason is that he feels it is more secure than the DVD format, and finally, he intends to add things to the box down the road - or so we have read.

I don't know why he can't give the extra content to the owners of the owners of the DVD and CD. I don't know if the Blu-ray version is worth it when I already own about 60% of the recordings on CD.

very good point. take a cue from wilco...make it available on the website. that's the whole point of the web.

• 2 weeks later...

looking at the comments section on thrashers, it seems the preview disk has brought up more issues involving lack of interaction that neil was waiting for and again, lack of some major content from this period. oh well.

just finished reading shakey again. prolly the last time. seems to me, the major theme of the book is NIGHTMARE. "we recorded, it was a nightmare. we toured, it was a nightmare. we mixed the live disc, it was a nightmare." not to mention, neil is a total asshole. bruce springsteen seems to be ae guy. dylan's just a plain mystery.

any word on an update for shakey?

• 2 weeks later...

'the added content' stuff will never happen. maybe one or two bs videos or news clippings, but that's it. if you buy this, you're still gonna have to buy the sorely need remasters of the early albums. what a joke. i bet it gets pushed back and that neil has some deal with java in all of this.