Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LouieB, Analogman - help me out here, why are the last two releases uninteresting?

i'd believe you if you said you didn't buy Fillmore because it wasn't a complete show and easily could have been. that's a valid excuse as the bootlegs are better. but, Massey Hall is fantastic. it had been widely bootlegged before, but if you already own the bootleg and love it, honestly, shouldn't you buy the official release? or is it he crappy disc-scratching packaging? just help me to understand please.

-justin

Jeez, nothing personal here......I have tons of Neils LP's, CDs, etc. I rarely buy stuff new so it has to be in front of me used for me to buy it generally anymore. I did buy maybe the Fillmore actually and liked it. I watched Massey Hall which as a movie was an irritating mess and bummed me out more than anything. If I just heard it, then it would have been fine. I just like the idea of hearing really early Neil, since there are many concert records, many of which I have.

Regarding running out of room......same problem here. Once you have 4 or 5 K LPs and a thousand CDs, you have to be careful. I discovered the other day I actually re-bought On the Beach (LP) thinking I didn't have it and discovered I had a nice cut out copy I got for a buck sometime. Meanwhile I also had a CD version. Too much of a good thing.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2008/10/arch...-on-amazon.html

archive preorder at amazon. very pricey and still no info on cds or regular dvds. i think i'll probably only like 25% of this thing as a lot of his early is a little rough. vol. 2 has potential to be the goldmine.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2008/10/arch...-on-amazon.html

archive preorder at amazon. very pricey and still no info on cds or regular dvds. i think i'll probably only like 25% of this thing as a lot of his early is a little rough. vol. 2 has potential to be the goldmine.

$431.99 and Amazon.com has it for $301.99

I don't think I could justify spending that sort of bread on such a thing.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2008/10/2008...highlights.html

some highlights form bridge school benefit. wilco is on there as is neil singin' a new song which doesn't sound bad. he has been playing three new ones a night, so that makes me think archives will be delayed for a new studio album this spring. :stunned

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2008/10/2008...highlights.html

some highlights form bridge school benefit. wilco is on there as is neil singin' a new song which doesn't sound bad. he has been playing three new ones a night, so that makes me think archives will be delayed for a new studio album this spring. :stunned

Notice the button on his jacket.

Neil Young Pulls Show In Support Of Strikers

October 30, 2008 , 11:30 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Neil Young's concert tonight (Oct. 30) at the Los Angeles Forum has been canceled at the request of the artist.

After his annual Bridge School Benefit Concert over the weekend outside San Francisco, Young was advised that the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) union, Local 33, planned to picket his show at the Forum. Striking workers at the indoor arena are engaged in a contract dispute with the venue's owner, Faithful Central Bible Church.

Young elected to cancel the performance rather than cross what IATSE told his representatives would be a picket line at his show. Young and his wife are honorary lifetime members of the IATSE.

"I am extremely disappointed to have to choose between satisfying my fans or backing my brothers and sisters of the IATSE," Young says in a statement from San Diego. "I will miss playing in Los Angeles and apologize to my fans for the inconvenience this has caused." Young showed solidarity for workers in the song "Union Man," from his 1980 album "Hawks & Doves."

The Los Angeles date will be rescheduled for sometime in 2009. Ticket holders can obtain refunds at points of purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
Neil Young Opens Up the Vaults With Crazy Horse Disc, Box Set

Plus: Hits-packed tour rolls on; classic solo concert gets released

ANDY GREENEPosted Nov 27, 2008 11:05 AM

I'm spending about half my time on music and family," Neil Young says from a stop on his current arena tour. The rest is devoted to converting a 1959 Lincoln Continental into an experimental superefficient car

• 2 weeks later...

Have you watched the trailer for the Archives on the Sugar Mountain's Dvd?

Whatever what was said about it, it stills looks like an incredible thing to have. It's rare to see such ambitious project be that successful in the end (I'm not talking sales wise here).

i'm just not feeling the new Sugar Mt. disc. i have loved that version of sugar mt from decade and really hoped the whole show would have more of a brooding feel. it really is just an archive and my sense is that most of the actual archives will be like this. fun to hear a few times only to go back to the good stuff. maybe neil does have good instincts.

i don't know about others, but i have this thing about live albums. i get a feeling from them. especially with dead shows etc. like, i love the feeling of reckoning.

From Uncut Magazine

Neil Young

New details on Neil Young's expansive The Archives Vol. 1 1963-1972 box set, due for release early in 2009, have been revealed.

According to a newly-released trailer, the box set, on 10-disc DVD or Blu-Ray, will contain 128 audio tracks, including 43 unreleased and 13 of these never heard before.

The set, which comes with a 236-page hardback book, will also feature access to thousands of images and hours of video.

One of the videos included is Journey Through The Past, Young's 1974 film never before released on DVD, which includes footage of Buffalo Springfield and Crosby Stills Nash And Young.

An audio track of 'Aurora' by Young's high school band The Squires is also included.

The previously-released Archives albums, Live At The Fillmore East and Live At Massey Hall 1971, will also be included in the box set, although it is currently believed that the newly-released Sugar Mountain - Live At Canterbury House 1968 will not.

Hand-written lyrics, letters, newspaper cuttings and memorabilia will also be available in the Archives, along with a detailed interactive timeline.