Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From NoDepression.net

Obsessives typically don't play well together. Whether on the battlefield, the football gridiron or a backyard drinking party, when two hard-headed, determined, focused types come into conflict, like the old songs says, something's gotta give.

A similar musical tilt has been playing out in recent weeks, although the antagonists may surprise you.

In this corner, a fervid, loyal, vocal sector of Neil Young's fan base.

In the other corner, Neil Young.

The source of conflict: Young's 20-years-in-the-making multimedia anthology project, Archives. After countless promises and delays, Archives, Vol. 1, which covers only the earliest part of Young's career, from 1963-1972, was announced for a late January 2009 release. Amazon.com began taking pre-orders. After so many disappointments and postponements, the motherlode of Young's oft-fabled unreleased music, video, film and other material was nearing arrival. The well-sourced Neil fan site ThrashersWheat.org even organized an online Q&A session last week with an unnamed individual intimately associated with the project to taut its merits to fans.

Aside from a hefty price tag (over $300 at Amazon), what's not to love? Ten hi-res Blu-Ray discs packed with 128 songs, mastered in vivid 24-bit/192-khz audio (also available on slightly cheaper but much less interactive, lower-res DVDs). An innovative interface allows fans to mine deep files on each song

That reminds me of the funny business with the Buffalo Springfield boxset.

Buffalo Springfield is a career retrospective of the late 60s folk rock band of the same name, released in 2001. Band member Neil Young assembled the tracks in chronological order to show how the band evolved and disintegrated in the span of two years. Of the four CDs, the first three represent the actual box set while the fourth CD contains the band's first two albums. It reached #194 on Billboard's Top 200 Album chart, and stayed on the chart for the single week. There are missing things like the stereo version of the Buffalo Springfield album, the mono version of Buffalo Springfield Again, the album version of "On The Way Home", "Pretty Girl Why", and "Four Days Gone" from Last Time Around, and the songs "Carefree Country Day" and "In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain" from Last Time Around.
judging from what i have seen of the tracklist, it doesn't look too promising. not much great unreleased stuff seems to be there. the early early stuff will be interesting, but not something you're gonna pop on to rock out to. not to mention, it seems like the riverboat show will not be available separately. so, i wonder if neil really does have this treasure trove of unreleased masterpieces? i think probably not. he knows that's what we expect and he can't deliver. so goes the delays.

I guess you are only looking for the Crazy Horse stuff. I wouldn't read into the # of unreleased songs on the boxset that much. I'm sure there's a good amount of unreleased gems floating around. My guess is the 2nd time frame is going to be loaded with goodies. Perhaps I say this because it's wishful thinking on part and because it's my favorite time period for Neil.

I guess you are only looking for the Crazy Horse stuff. I wouldn't read into the # of unreleased songs on the boxset that much. I'm sure there's a good amount of unreleased gems floating around. My guess is the 2nd time frame is going to be loaded with goodies. Perhaps I say this because it's wishful thinking on part and because it's my favorite time period for Neil.

totally! volume has the potential to be great. homegrown stuff, the tropical stuff left off trans, hopefully some good CSNY stuff from that era. even if there aren't that many unreleased tunes from that era, the ones i know about, including Hitchhiker, will be great to have in good audio quality.

volume 3 has the potential to be horrendous :) he had so many unreleased tunes from old ways and blue notes. however, i really want to hear the first oldways. seems like it was a little more warmer and less commercial country judging from depression blues on lucky 13.

however, i really want to hear the first oldways. seems like it was a little more warmer and less commercial country

The guy has always incorporated some elements of "country" into his albums. You would think a Neil Young album that features Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson would be fantastic. Wow. Awful stuff.

http://thesongdog.rusties.net/sounds/

link above to all of neil's new tunes he busted out in the last few nights. they all have a linkvolt theme and are actually catchy. they are toss offs, but damn if they aren't a bit compelling and hang together well. now if neil could record these with a little effort, it might be a fun little album. CDII had two good songs, but was all over the place. Prairie Wind was just overproduced and LWW was a mess. so maybe this will be okay. at least better than are you passionate?

http://thesongdog.rusties.net/sounds/

link above to all of neil's new tunes he busted out in the last few nights. they all have a linkvolt theme and are actually catchy. they are toss offs, but damn if they aren't a bit compelling and hang together well. now if neil could record these with a little effort, it might be a fun little album. CDII had two good songs, but was all over the place. Prairie Wind was just overproduced and LWW was a mess. so maybe this will be okay. at least better than are you passionate?

I heard them Saturday. I thought they were awful. They definitely put a damper on what was poised to be an epic show. Still was awesome, but the songs were not good at all. LWW and CDII have far stronger tracks than those.

Jesus Christ that trailer changed my mind!!! The remastered songs sound incredible! and that version of Dance by Crazy Horse :worship

I heard them Saturday. I thought they were awful. They definitely put a damper on what was poised to be an epic show. Still was awesome, but the songs were not good at all. LWW and CDII have far stronger tracks than those.

yeah, i assume they would kill the vibe at the show. i put them all on my ipod as the lincvolt album and just listened to it through. it was easy to listen to and catchy. where as, to my ears, the most recent albums only had a few actually good songs on them.

Neil Young is crazy - sometimes in a brilliant way, sometimes not so much. He's like a mad scientist with a guitar.

And as sweet as that NY Archives trailer is, you just know that the release is going to be delayed again because Neil has conveniently started another project that demands his full attention. Like a Linc Volt album, perhaps? At this point, I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Neil Young is crazy - sometimes in a brilliant way, sometimes not so much. He's like a mad scientist with a guitar.

And as sweet as that NY Archives trailer is, you just know that the release is going to be delayed again because Neil has started another project that demands his full attention. Like a Linc Volt album, perhaps? Oh, the humanity! At this point, I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

I don't see how many people are going to be able to buy it - unless you have 300 hundred dollars and a Blu-Ray player.

Still listed as coming out on February 24, 2009 - $323.99

Although there is a DVD listing - for $310

Jesus Christ that trailer changed my mind!!! The remastered songs sound incredible! and that version of Dance by Crazy Horse :worship

it does look good on the one hand, but all i kept thinking was - and this is if i had the money to even think about buying it - it'd get very tedious very quickly to try and navigate all that when you want to stick on a song or two. he's really pulled it out the bag with innovation on the one hand, but failed to grasp that people want things easily at their fingertips - they don't want to have to traverse a fake filing cabinet in search of a song every time they get the urge to play it.

also - neil young is not good looking enough for me to want to look at THAT many pics of him. well, and he's a man too, but you get my point.

By this point - wouldn't the boxsets be done and in a warehouse somewhere? It would be rather costly (as in Smile - the artwork was designed and made before the album was shelved), I would think. I don't have much of an idea has to how long it takes to print/make/package such things. So maybe I am wrong.

I don't see how many people are going to be able to buy it - unless you have 300 hundred dollars and a Blu-Ray player.

Still listed as coming out on February 24, 2009 - $323.99

Although there is a DVD listing - for $310

oh, i'm not gonna buy it :shifty

By this point - wouldn't the boxsets be done and in a warehouse somewhere? It would be rather costly (as in Smile - the artwork was designed and made before the album was shelved), I would think. I don't have much of an idea has to how long it takes to print/make/package such things. So maybe I am wrong.

i have a feeling it's been packaged several times. in a 99 interview neil had a version in the interview at that point.