Another harvest of Neil Young

cool - he should give it all away for free online. he said he doesn't mind if nobody buys it, after all. crikey there is some serious treble on the high instruments (tambourine & hi hat) - what's that all about?

i agree with you about the sound. it's got a lot of high end. also, the unreleased stuff on that demo are not too revelatory.

yes, he should just put it out online. i mean, what's the point of physical media anymore? get vinyl if you want it. otherwise, if neil really wants to cutting edge, putting it all in the cloud is the way to go. then just update that. playboy just did something similar.

although the demo is cool, it's not user friendly and the rumors are that there's a shit load of easter eggs. neil young is infuriating!

has it been confirmed that the albums are finally going to be remastered?

-justin

i saw what looked like a release schedule for reprise on rustlist that showed all the albums being re-released as remasters as well as harvest moon live and toast.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, I thought all the tracks on each album on included on this?

that would make sense, wouldn't it? however, the entire albums from this early period are not on the archives. only select songs.

that would make sense, wouldn't it? however, the entire albums from this early period are not on the archives. only select songs.

Are you serious?! Well, I no longer need to debate which format to buy anymore. I'm out.....

like he said, the full albums are not on there.

but, to answer the question anyway, the market for the remastered albums is still going to be pretty high. i know i want to replace my old copies. also, there will be plenty of people not buying Archives, who want the remasetered albums (::raises hand::)

they really should have included the full albums on Archives though...it wouldn't have been but a handful of songs to make it complete...

what a mess this project is.

-justin

i agree with you about the sound. it's got a lot of high end. also, the unreleased stuff on that demo are not too revelatory.

yes, he should just put it out online. i mean, what's the point of physical media anymore? get vinyl if you want it. otherwise, if neil really wants to cutting edge, putting it all in the cloud is the way to go. then just update that. playboy just did something similar.

although the demo is cool, it's not user friendly and the rumors are that there's a shit load of easter eggs. neil young is infuriating!

i saw what looked like a release schedule for reprise on rustlist that showed all the albums being re-released as remasters as well as harvest moon live and toast.

by any chance did it give a rough timeframe?

-justin

by any chance did it give a rough timeframe?

-justin

it seemed like it was gonna be over the next two years. of course, fork in the road pushed stuff back.

the track lists don't show entire albums, but the entire harvest album seems to be available on the demo. so, maybe the entire albums will be available via hidden tracks.

i know that i really really want a remaster of the first album. that would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

hey-

thrasherswheat.org has been nuts concerning the archives. there's someone close to the project under the guise 'archives guy' who is answering many questions. a part i found interesting was this...

"The upcoming vinyl remasters of the first 4 albums are thought, in our circle, to be the finest versions of these records ever heard. You might want check them out, once released. These records will debut the NYA ORS series. (Neil Young Archives Original Release Series)"

i hope these will be on CD too. it looks like we got 3 series going on now: archives, original release series, and unreleased album series. kind of cool.

also, the samples are up at amazon mp3 for the archives. nothing amazing. neil should've included bad fog and jttp on harvest instead of there's a world and a man needs a maid. would have been killer!

c

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone get the Archives yet?

Don't Be Denied

American Masters - PBS:

Neil Young

Don't Be Denied

A resolutely private artist who seldom looks back, Neil Young has never before unfolded his career on camera. With unprecedented access to one of the world’s renowned music legends, American Masters presents Neil Young: Don’t Be Denied premiering nationally Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings). The film explores how Young’s unbending dedication to the muse has created an awe-inspiring body of work and bruised a few egos along the way.

I have ordered the DVD version, awaiting it's delivery. I don't have a Blue Ray player and I am not springing for that too.

That Don't Be Denied thing is the same thing that was on BBC a while back right?

Anyone get the Archives yet?

Don't Be Denied

American Masters - PBS:

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't want to buy a Blu-ray player, so it looks like the DVD set for me. I wanted to buy it from my local indie shop, but they quoted me a price of $400+ Cdn. Crazy. Amazon.ca it is.

I am listening to the dvd version as i type. I love it, but i'm not sure it was worth 200 bucks. Tons of cool stuff though and as a big neil fan i'm glad i have it. The songs do sound awesome.

The extra video content is very cool too.

If only Neil would have added the few songs to make up the full albums, he would have my $100.00 today. Unfortunatly, now I will patiently wait for the studio remasters to come out. There just isn't enough extra stuff on there to make me buy this, and then the remastered full discs when those come out.

I watched some of this last night and it was pretty good. Neil was pretty blunt about the importance of "following his muse" even if it meant screwing over bandmates or other musicians. I also didn't realize it was James Taylor playing banjo and harmonizing on Old Man.

i watched this last night and really enjoyed it. i will admit that i'm not a big Neil fan but after watching Don't Be Denied last night, i walked away from the tv with a new found appreciation for him. he reminds me of Bob Dylan in the sense that he does what he wants/ has to do and never listens to the critics. interesting how these guys are legends now and the people who do release music to please certain groups fade back into nothingness. btw, i liked how Young was boo'd in London for playing Tonight's the Night in its entirety before it was released. "Ok, we're gonna play a song you've all heard before." :D

I watched some of this last night and it was pretty good. Neil was pretty blunt about the importance of "following his muse" even if it meant screwing over bandmates or other musicians. I also didn't realize it was James Taylor playing banjo and harmonizing on Old Man.

It's in the liner notes - I think. I have read that he had never played the banjo before cutting that track. I didn't get to see the film, as my TV is not working very well these days.

I've been watching Archives Vol. 1 on blu-ray the past few nights with my son's PS3 and an HDTV. Don't have surround sound but what is coming through the TV speakers is pretty damn good. I watched the CSNY portions to see what video clips were included and was not disappointed. Film footage of several Neil songs from the Fillmore East shows is pretty cool. The film is a little grainy even on HD, but overall it is a masterpiece. Can't wait for the Wilco Archives to come out. Are you out there Jeff?