Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my question for the newly structured (100th time) planned release.......If you buy the CD discs individually (as you now can) for the music, what don't you get with each disc that you would get if you bought them in Blu-Ray or DVD? Why would you buy a music disc in Blu-ray? Does it only mean you can't jump around to view photos or read shit if you bought them in CD? While I'm playing the selected track in Blu-ray or DVD is there a special video that goes with that song that you don't get in CD? At least one doesn't have to buy Live at Massey Hall or Crazy Horse at the Fillmore again if one chooses not to. Are the videos on separate discs? The description provided on the website is a little unclear IMO.....

EDIT: Forget my question......All(most)answers here......

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2008/12/arch...n.html#comments

I love Neil Young but I just can't get excited about the Archives set. About 70% is already commercially available. So you are just rebuying the same stuff again. If you put all the previously unavailable tracks on two discs then I'd be all over it. There seems to be no logic to it. Its not comprehensive but seems to have selected tracks of the allready available albums. I already own 'Filmore' and 'Massey Hall'. Just all seems a bit confused to me. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know. With Dylans 'Bootleg' series you get 99% unreleased stuff which seems a much better approach.

From Jim Degerotis....

SXSW 2009: Neil Young's archives, finally here and absolutely amazing

By Jim DeRogatison March 21, 2009 4:21 PM

For devoted followers of Neil Young--and, really, what rock fan with a modicum of taste isn't?--the long-rumored, long, long-anticipated first installment of the singer and songwriter's massive box-set career overview has been something of a Holy Grail--and quite possibly just as mythical.

But it's here. It exists. (I've seen and touched it!) It's a got a firm, no-kidding release date (June 2). And not only is it absolutely amazing, it quite possibly is a model for the only kind of recorded product that independent and chain stores alike will still be selling in the post-CD future.

For as long as I've been coming to SXSW, I've never seen a panel devoted to discussing a single new release. But then "Neil Young Archives, Vol. 1: 1963-1972" isn't just any piece of product, and Saturday's session and demonstration was more than just hype.

Quite simply, "Archives" is Young's life in a box, with not only every studio album and every important concert he played during the first decade of his career (so long as they were captured in quality recordings), but every song he wrote and recorded, lavishly augmented with extensive histories, rare photos, the original hand-written lyrics, live concert, interview and behind-the-scenes video footage, recording notes, diary entries, postcards to his mom and just about anything and everything else he ever collected during his storied career.

Though the 10-disc box will be available as conventional CDs and DVDs, the ideal format is Blu-Ray, and panelists Elliott Roberts, Young's legendary manager, and Larry Johnson, director of his Shakey Films company, said that, in addition to the artist's infamous obsession with hi-fidelity, development of the Blu-Ray technology is what has delayed the release for so long. Young wanted a format that would not only allow his fans to simultaneously listen to the music while scanning all of the archival material from the relevant era--the high-tech version of lovingly lingering over a 12-inch album cover while listening to the tunes--but to connect via the Internet to receive even more material (newly unearthed photos or concert recordings, for example) as it comes to light in the future, with the result being a collection that is constantly updated shortly after the musician adds something to his own personal stash.

The Blu-Ray price tag is steep at $299, but it literally is complete-at least for the relevant time period. (And Roberts said he envisions 50 discs by the end of the project, 10 per decade for four more boxes, released every two or three years from this point forward.)

To encourage sales at old-fashioned, God bless 'em mom-and-pop record stores, Young's team is providing retailers with posters and other incentives to drive walk-in traffic. And the model is one that could ensure that record stores still have something worthwhile to sell (in addition to newly resurgent vinyl pressings) even after CDs become extinct within the next five years, as almost every speaker at the conference has predicted.

After the session, Roberts noted that the technology the team has developed to make this kind of set possible is going to be made available to other artists, and the mind reels at the possibilities of similar all-encompassing collections from other giants who'd be worthy of the treatment--say, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin or Brian Eno.

In short, this may be the biggest reason music obsessives could imagine for the economy to rebound as quickly as possible. Though truth be told, collections this great might even be worth forgoing inessential niceties such as food, clothing and the rent.

In the comments section he talks about Mynah Birds and how MoTown woudl noot release the tracks for this set.

There is hope again (why I choose to believe the June 2nd date is beyond me). Here lately I've become more of a Dylan fan over Young (which for me is saying alot). Neil just seemed to be losing touch and musically lately has been a joke. Dylan seems to be gaining touch and making listenable music here lately

I love Neil Young but I just can't get excited about the Archives set. About 70% is already commercially available. So you are just rebuying the same stuff again. If you put all the previously unavailable tracks on two discs then I'd be all over it. There seems to be no logic to it. Its not comprehensive but seems to have selected tracks of the allready available albums. I already own 'Filmore' and 'Massey Hall'. Just all seems a bit confused to me. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know. With Dylans 'Bootleg' series you get 99% unreleased stuff which seems a much better approach.

exactly. would rather have it like dylan. i'm afraid neil's been putting this off because he can't deliver. there's probably 2 discs worth of unreleased stuff. most of it oldways and bluenote outtakes. i'm sure there are many different versions of songs which might be interesting to hear, but not essential. however, neil doesn't seem to be interested in those. as i've said before, the real revelations from this set already came out, massy hall and fillmore. really want to hear riverboat and i REALLY want to hear toast. that that is archives there.

This is kind of mind boggling. For the price and size of the set, why not release every album recorded during this time frame and then a few records full of all the unreleased stuff. Having a mono copy of some song does little for me. I think Neil struggles to see that the normal hard core Neil Young fan loves the music and not necessarily the audio aspect (I could be wrong on this). The Buff Springfield Box was weighted down by this mono/stereo stuff. Anyway, the song selection and the reason for specific songs/versions seems largely arbitrary. The real benefit of this set will most likely be the artifacts within, but that stuff has a shelf life of one or two views.

The inclusion of previously released material from studio albums is pure and utter bullshit. Also, the inclusion of Fillmore East and Massey Hall is a joke. Been there. Done that. Paid for that already. No other fucking shows from that era?

well said cortez.

Two years for vol.2! no! :stunned vol. 3 and 4 are gonna be total garbage!

I'm pumped for the alternative versions of the classic Landing on Water.

Or the good version of Are You Passionate?

Is it me or did I read that the commercial uptake for Blu Ray was poor and the format looks like a bit of a dead duck?

The inclusion of previously released material from studio albums is pure and utter bullshit. Also, the inclusion of Fillmore East and Massey Hall is a joke. Been there. Done that. Paid for that already. No other fucking shows from that era?

It is like Neil got caught between a Dylan like Bootleg series and this huge archives project, but it is stupid none the less. those who are hardcore and are going to shelve out the money have already purchased Massey and Fillmore. Does anyone know someone who refused to get these upon their release waiting for the Archives? Anyway, I'm looking forward to Vol. 2 with homegrown and chrome dreams and all of that, but we are now talking as if Vol 1 is really going to happen. Bottom line Neil runs the risk of releasing this to a big round of "Who freaking cares?" And that will be his or his own mgmts. doing.

Oh, also announced at SXSW relating to Neil's archives was that Vol. 3 was going to consist of only one disc. The Old Ways Sessions prior to being ruined. :dancing

It is like Neil got caught between a Dylan like Bootleg series and this huge archives project, but it is stupid none the less. those who are hardcore and are going to shelve out the money have already purchased Massey and Fillmore. Does anyone know someone who refused to get these upon their release waiting for the Archives? Anyway, I'm looking forward to Vol. 2 with homegrown and chrome dreams and all of that, but we are now talking as if Vol 1 is really going to happen. Bottom line Neil runs the risk of releasing this to a big round of "Who freaking cares?" And that will be his or his own mgmts. doing.

Oh, also announced at SXSW relating to Neil's archives was that Vol. 3 was going to consist of only one disc. The Old Ways Sessions prior to being ruined. :dancing

is this true?

anyway, yeah, neil really f'd this up. it's kind of like a greatest hits with basically 90% of it already out there. who wants the BF stuff again? really! and i thought neil's vision was to sit down and listen to the set all the way through or listen to the whole albums in the various sets. that ain't gonna happen now. also, some of his best songs are missing...out on the weekend?! i can see why neil only wanted to do BR...the pictures and clips are gonna be the archives here, not the music. it's gonna be released with a big yawn. i for one am not gonna get it at all. prolly download a few tracks.

now, volume two could be great, but again, i think there isn't gonna be as much as we think. homegrown will be kind of cool. after that, all we have is different versions of songs and possibly an acoustic version of the comes a time album and hopefully some studio outtakes from CSNY like love art blues and pushed it over the end. come to think of it, there could be one great disc of unreleased tunes from vol. 2 (hitchhiker, pushed it over the end, try, mexico, kansas, sad movies, separate ways, traces, bad fog, home fires, love art blues, hawiian sunrise, evening coconut, vacancy).

what irks me about this era is that neil had all these amazing mellow songs in the vein of pardon my heart, that, if put together in one double album, could be a masterpiece. i'm thinking of will to love, old homestead, motion pictures, ambulance blues etc. that would be bad ass.

vol 3 & 4 are gonna be complete shit. i mean, are there really any outtakes from any 80s-90s albums that anyone wants to hear, or is aware of for that matter? the good stuff there is gonna be the live albums, hopefully solo gigs from 92 and 99 as well as rusted out garage. these will probably be released separately like massey hall and filmore. i would love to hear the shelved albums old ways I and island in the sun and TOAST! so, if the reports are true that there will be an 'unrleased' albums series, then we will hear these albums apart from the archives. in addition, it looks like the actual albums are gonna get remastered and released. SO, the archives are pointless and really just a joke from musician who is becoming more of a joke with each album. i love him though!