New music suggestions

Alright, I've been looking for some new music, so I'm going to get (i.e. download) the first 10 cd's that are suggested in this thread. To give you an idea of what I've been listening to alot lately, the new Clap Your Hands album, The Boy Least Likely To, Neutral Milk Hotel's In an Aeroplane Over The Sea, and London Calling.

So get to suggesting! :rock

1. The Hold Steady's new one - i know there hype is getting out of hand but it really is a great disc

2. The Best of Blind Willie McTell - piedmont blues at its best and truly music for the sake of expression

and 2 oklahoma bands if you want some obscurity but great music

3. Mike Hosty - un hombre malo or golden country hits

4. The Effects - their latest EP (trust me these guys will be huge in 12-18 months)

and i have no affiliation with either of the last two other than i get the privilege of seeing them live on a fairly frequent basis.

Solomon Burke - Nashville (apperantly "Is That The Thanks I Get?" was written for him by Jeff for this album but something happened)

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

Owen - At Home with Owen

Pavement - Wowee Zowee Reissue

Brian Wilson - Smile

Not all new new but just some I've been listening to this last week.

my suggestion is in my signature. i just discovered them a few days ago and i'm hooked. check out some of their videos and tunes on their myspace page. these guys (and girl) are pretty damn good. they're currently touring with wolfmother and later with snow patrol and ok go.

the song "lazy eye" is pure ear candy.

Records that I'm infatuated with at the moment:

Tom Waits Orphans

I can't say enough good stuff about this one. You don't have to know a thing about Waits to embrace these recordings. Load all three discs into a player and set it on random and the places these songs and story/ dialog snippets take you is amazing.

Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope

Her previous record Soviet Kitsch may be a more cohesive effort but this one is new to me and therefore stands a little stronger in my mind; (at the moment). You'll love her voice and the way her accent affects the lyrics. You'll love her effervescent playful delivery.

Devotchka's Curse Your Little Heart

I really just discovered these guys via the Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack; (also recommended). This is a six song EP that does a good job of capturing the essence of this bands style; (described in various reviews as Eastern European folk/ indie rock). I'd just call it beautiful stuff.

Can I suggest the Desert Hearts - Hotsy Notsy Nagasaki, the best indie-rock album I've heard for yonks...

Great band name. Is it oinkable?

Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope

Her previous record Soviet Kitsch may be a more cohesive effort but this one is new to me and therefore stands a little stronger in my mind; (at the moment). You'll love her voice and the way her accent affects the lyrics. You'll love her effervescent playful delivery.

I heard something from this on the radio the other day and it annoyed me to the point of switching to another station. So, maybe he won't love her voice/accent/delivery. Just saying.

I heard something from this on the radio the other day and it annoyed me to the point of switching to another station.

The guy seems to like CYHSY and Neutral Milk Hotel.

So odd-ball vocal deliveries aint off limits here......

So, maybe he won't love her voice/accent/delivery. Just saying.

This is the case with all reccomendations, no?

Nels Cline's "New Monastery" it really is amazing.

I just bought this the other day and have not yet had time to listen to it. I did see Frequency last night and recommend their album on Thrill Jockey if you like free jazz. I am also very fond of the Tortoise Box set that came out last year.

If you like Bloodshot, the new Bobby Bare Jr. and Paul Birch are are both good too.

LouieB

Boris with Michio Kurihara - Rainbow, now out in Japan, coming out in the US in March. I normally don't like psych (Kurihara's specialty) but Boris shows once again how different they are from other "metal" bands they can be on this in the most beautiful ways, and Kurihara is definitely weighing in on the tunes too. Highly suggest.