Prince - Super Bowl performance

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is quite a fantastic guitar player.

but, what bothers me about Superbowl Half-time shows is it's always one big medley of songs. never 2 or 3 full songs, at least not this time. I find that extremely irritating.

I've never followed Prince or his tunes (save for what I've heard on the radio in the 80s/90s) but have been told he's great live (yeah, right).

Well boy is my face purple. I was impressed. I wasn't aware he was such a decent guitarist, either.

decent guitarist? he's fuckin' awesome. for as popular as he is, his songwriting & guitar playing is severely underrated. i had no idea until i saw him live about 3 years ago. i was completely blown away how great he was on it. i would love to hear him do a full all along the watchtower like that

Easy. All they ever played on the radio was Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, When Doves Cry and Raspberry Beret. If any of those songs featured guitar solos, they weren't memorable (to me anyway).

I wish he played a lot more, and second the motion about All Along The Watchtower. However, I fear he may be more interested in Watchtower as a publication than a song. :D

:omg How can anyone who was alive during the '80s not know that Prince is a fantastic guitarist?

It's not that implausible. I didn't know he was such a great guitarist until I actually SAW him play the guitar. And that happened way past the 80's for me (probably within the last 5 years). If you don't watch that much TV, and for me his music went outside of my radar at the time, for all I knew it was not even him on lead guitar. So when I finally SAW him play on TV a few years ago, I was pretty blown away. I had no idea.

So, yeah.

Easy. All they ever played on the radio was Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, When Doves Cry and Raspberry Beret. If any of those songs featured guitar solos, they weren't memorable (to me anyway).
um, purple rain has a fantastic guitar solo

So does When Doves Cry.

:omg How can anyone who was alive during the '80s not know that Prince is a fantastic guitarist?

I didn't listen to a lot of pop radio and I certainly didn't listen to a lot of Prince. In fact, I'd probably switch the dial when he came on most of the time (or the channel, as it were). Just not my bag.

I still don't really dig the guy, I was impressed with his performance yesterday, though.

Prince sneaking in a bit of a Foo Fighters song ... that was a bit odd, I thought. :huh

i'd heard it previously in the week on Stern

he released the Watchtower->Best of You mash-up thing on 3121.com on Friday under the title "Guitar"

guitar_ad.jpg

while when i first heard about it, it sounded kinda awful, i kinda dug it...

but irregardless, best halftime performance i can recall since at least NKOTB in '91 :lol

I like Jon Fishman's version of Purple Rain better. :punch :punch :punch :punch

But seriously, it was pretty damn good...I'll agree with those that said he can tear up a fretboard as well. :thumbup