Sky Blue Sky

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hear Should've Been In Love in Leave Me (Like You Found Me).

Now that I think about it, yeah. I adore "Should've Been In Love"

Also, if anyone wants to PM me with a link to a rip, that would be wonderful. I've got one right now but there are some glaring problems with it. Thanks in advance, Kind Soul Who Might Decide To PM Me. :cheers

This has been an Amazing time to really get into Wilco. Last night's preview felt like a huge release party all around the world. I loved the fact that the server here was so busy, I couldn't connect. I headed over to AtEase to chat. (I don't have an AIM compatable client) There doesn't seem to be that many people stuck in the middle about this record. Most seem to either love it or hate it. I for one think it's mindblowing, and I love how mellow it is, but it rocks when it needs to. Anyway, I'm excited. Previously I'd only heard "What Light" and "Please Be Patient" acoustic in Atlanta and of course (Either Way, You Are My Face, and Walkin). I totally hear a "White Album/Let It Be" Vibe. Does any one hear "Birthday" in the chorus of "Hate It Here"? Anyway, I'm excited. I think my favorite is Side with the Seeds.

The highlights on the album for me are "You Are My Face," "Side With the Seeds," "Hate it Here""Impssible Germany" and surprisingly (for me anyway) "On and On and On." I really enjoy almost everything on it except I was a little dissapointed in the vocals on "Shake it Off" other than that I give it :thumbup :thumbup

I've only listened to it once, and wasn't really feeling it at first (probably because I was a bit distracted), but then "On & On & On" hit me like a ton of bricks. And Nels... wow!

Wilco being Wilco, there's a tinge of melancholy throughout much of SBS...but on the whole, the album sounds very hopeful to me. And really, it's the first "hopeful" album I can remember from them since...uh...Being There?

So yeah, on an emotional level, I think that gives it a different basis for examination than, say, AGIB or YHF.

I think the playing on this album is exquisite, and the songs flow into each other, for the most part. There's a couple of curveballs (i.e., "Shake it Off", which sits on its own the same way that "Vampire Blues" does in the middle of Neil Young's 'On the Beach').

Overall though, the album just seems to work. It normally takes me about 2-3 weeks for a new album to filter its way into my brain, but I woke up this morning with about five or six of the tracks on this album banging around in my head. That's a very positive sign. :)

There were a lot of pleasant surprises all around. I was slightly worried that a lot of Nels solos and misc guitar work would sound similar but he has proven he can tackle pretty much any kind of sound. He does a great job with "Please Be Patient With Me" for example.

I love the studio cut of Impossible Germany, Nels really gets to show off. The biggest surprise might be the piano and organ work. All the new members of the band really show their worth on this album.

I didn't like Walken at first, its not as high-energy as some of the live performances I've seen. But after listening to the entire album I think its fitting and a good treatment of the song.

I didn't expect to like "On and on and on" but its really grown on me, as has Either Way. Sky Blue Sky, Side With the Seeds are both excellent too.

Hated What Light when I saw it live with the band and just Jeff solo but the album version is slightly better. The only song I don't really like is "Shake It Off" so far. The rest are excellent :)

Guest tandylacker

I really enjoyed the fact they just played as a band on the album. Didn't have any of the drones and what not their last albums had. Also the fact they included alot of guitar for intros. It was quite the rocking CD. Alot more like Being There and Summerteeth, band wise.

My INITIAL (not final...because I'm gonna listen to it at least 300 more times before it's actual release), is this album is great. 8.5/9 out of 10.

Really awesome. John's bass playing really stood out on this record, he was finally given his time to shine.

Nel's solos were amazing. I think the solos on Impossible Germany were rather minimalistic compared to the live versions, so I don't really understand people's complaints saying he "overplays".

Kotche held it down (SON!). His playing on this was untouchable, perfect.

And this album solidifies Jeff Tweedy's position as god...

and I also agree with the point that Pitchfork is indeed going to hate this album. and I have included a makeshift review by a Pitchfork writer:

Sky Blue Sky BLEW?

---

Wilco used to be awesome. I used to be reminded of Chicago with everysong...what the hell Tweedy? What the Hell?

Boy Pitchfork is gonna hate this album :D.

:lol Probably, but I'm not quite sure. I think they're either going to tear it to shreds or give it higher than an 8.5 Depends what side of the fence they decided to pick. With the reactions it's getting so far, I can hardly see them giving it a 7.0/whatever rating.

Boy Pitchfork is gonna hate this album :D.

Pitchfork gave GIB a 6.0 so their opinion is not valid when it comes to reviewing Wilco records. This is a smaller and quieter record their the recent stuff, but the songwriting and music is still topnotch. If you are a Tweedy head, I'm not sure why you wouldn't love it. Expectations too high?

boy i hope some of the YSI's stay good until tomorrow morning!

i plan on going to the public library as soon as they open in the morning to get this...

though i am going to wait and listen to it until thursday when me and my friend can have our own listening party... :)

all the positive reviews make me smile. i played "walken" for my theory teacher earlier in the the week, and he was really impressed and said he's gonna buy the record when it comes out. :rock