Sky Blue Sky

I am truly blown away by this album. There were plenty of skepticism leading up to this album and I really truly think Wilco has done it again. All of the songs we didn't hear live are great and all the ones we did hear live have improved. The musicianship on this album is absolutely amazing. No one is mediocre at all, everyone serves the song and floruishes when they need to. People thought Nels might not translate well onto record but he is absoutely amazing throughout the album and the solos on Sky Blue Sky and Be Patient Please are my favoruites. What Light is my favourite and has been since the begining and we will all be singing along with it at the end of shows. On and On and On is a great song now and a perfect closer. All in all I could not be more pleased with this album.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really keep trying to like it... I really keep trying. It's just not happening. I am glad you like it though. i wish I did. I wanted to!

you shouldnt have to try to like it.....i think its amazing, simply put. Impossible germany has been my favorite for a long time and after hearing the whole cd it is definitely my favorite, a good surprise song was Hate It Here i had never heard it before i like the lyrics alot

I really keep trying to like it... I really keep trying. It's just not happening. I am glad you like it though. i wish I did. I wanted to!

Although it's a good album, I really feel that Nels "overdoes it" on a few songs. But that's just a random opinion.

you shouldnt have to try to like it.....i think its amazing, simply put. Impossible germany has been my favorite for a long time and after hearing the whole cd it is definitely my favorite, a good surprise song was Hate It Here i had never heard it before i like the lyrics alot

See, I looooooooooooooved Impossible Germany live. But I just think there is way too much Nels guitar in that song. His solo takes away from the triple guitar solo at the end. The triple solo is so awesome and beautiful, and I really don't like how Nels is playing something different and really chaotic when that beautiful solo is trying to shine. I'm sure it will grow on me, but four guitars is alot

you've listened to it, what, maybe 2 or 3 times?

It's true, but with my history of albums and my appreciation of them...when something bad sticks out, it's very difficult to push aside. Especially when something is overdone. Too much this, too much that, overproducing....that stuff bothers me. But like I said, The album is pretty good, I just think Nels kinda overdoes it on a few, especially IG.

See, I looooooooooooooved Impossible Germany live. But I just think there is way too much Nels guitar in that song. His solo takes away from the triple guitar solo at the end. The triple solo is so awesome and beautiful, and I really don't like how Nels is playing something different and really chaotic when that beautiful solo is trying to shine. I'm sure it will grow on me, but four guitars is alot

yeah the live version they played at auditorium theater was breathtaking.....

I'm pleasantly astonished by much of it.

Unfortunately, there are a few songs/recordings that I flat-out don't like on here ("What Light" because it's a ball of cheese, "Walkin'" because it sounds toothless on the record), but the highs are so unexpectedly high that I think a sort of balance has been struck for me.

I don't think any other song in the world can make me as happy right now as "I Hate It Here." It's the most unabashedly fun thing I've heard in a long, long, long time. There's so much Stax/Volt, middle-period Band influence to it that I can't help but smile like a goofy ass every time I hear it (and as I finish me bottle o' rye, it's basically all I've been able to listen to). No word of a lie, this song found a permanent place in heart within five seconds of my first hearing it. One of those "Oh! So this is where you've been hiding all my life" moments that us music geeks get every couple of years, if we're lucky.

I think Nels shines throughout, especially on the epics, but also on the title track. That echoey solo played over the starry bed of steel guitar is just gorgeous.

On the whole, I think I prefer SBS to AGIB, which really surprises me. I also think I'm done my drinky and am going to bed!

I like most of the songs, but I don`t like the album so much, I don`t know why - may be because it all sounds well known to me. Best album for me: Being there, 2. Summerteeth . The others - nice but not exiting in my opinion. Live I like them more.

i love how after just a couple hours people have already made their final judgments about an album theyve heard at most a couple times. gotta love the internet.....

I know pretty quick what food I like or don't like the moment I put it in my mouth, regardless of what it looks like. The things in my life that I truly like and hold dear took me away immediately. Half of Wilco's music did indeed take me away first listen, and have never let down since.

These "final judgements" are also positive from some people. Should we be questioning how they can say it's amazing first or second listen? Things either work for you, or they don't. There's not a lot of middle ground with what you want to enjoy in your life. Sure things can grow, but things can also just not be your cup tea, not what you expected, not unexpected enough to be interesting to you.

I don't think any other song in the world can make me as happy right now as "I Hate It Here." It's the most unabashedly fun thing I've heard in a long, long, long time. There's so much Stax/Volt, middle-period Band influence to it that I can't help but smile like a goofy ass every time I hear it (and as I finish me bottle o' rye, it's basically all I've been able to listen to). No word of a lie, this song found a permanent place in heart within five seconds of my first hearing it. One of those "Oh! So this is where you've been hiding all my life" moments that us music geeks get every couple of years, if we're lucky.

I'm starting to think Paul McCartney wrote "Hate It Here" for McCartney but new it was best sung by Jeff Tweedy 37 years in the future.

I listened to it all night, with a smile on my face, contrary to what many people have said...I find Nels to fit in very well, I think the chaos he creates on certain tracks is in some ways what helps to make Wilco as amazing as tey are...the fact that they have the ability to transfer from beautiful melodies, harmonies, and lyrics into pure choas is incredible, it's not nels that started the trend for the band to do that, but he certainly helps them to do it to the best of their ability. I think this album is the perfect follow up for a Ghost is Born. Matching the sound of AGIB is not something that they should really try to match, the fact that they went in a bit of a new direction, but kind of kept that style they had fallen into, I feel is the right move to make. I've seen the Band 11 times now, most of them are more recent..6 of them since Lollapalooza, I really enjoy the studio versions of the tracks that I had heard live and yearned to hear their Studio versions. The album flowed nicely. It started strong and more importantly it ended strong....by strong I'm talking about the overall character, and power of songs...not the volume. Calling "What ligh" a ball of cheese as someone did earlier, is a grave injustice to a very very good track. inspiring, and heartfelt lyrics immerse that song, the music surrounding the lyrics doesn't have to be complex, nor does it need to really impress....the words make that song amazing, and I wish some would realize that." On and On and On" really capped this album off. I had heard it once, at the Val air Ballroom, in Des Moines Iowa, 3-22-06, and I hadn't heard it since...I am very pleased with what they've done with it since I saw them play it...seemed like they changed some words around. All in All I say the Band has done it again, I expected nothing less than a great album, and thats exactly what they delivered, anyone who listens to it some more will agree, it's a very strong album, and a perfect follow up to A Ghost is Born.

And what,you think critics listen to a cd a hundred times and then give their criticism?

i love how after just a couple hours people have already made their final judgments about an album theyve heard at most a couple times. gotta love the internet.....

*Disclaimer: This isn't - and can't be - my final judgement yet, as I've just listened to it 4 times so far*

Awesome. Bloody gorgeous. I stick to every single word I said after having heard the first songs off it live about 1,5 years ago: "This album might be the best Wilco have ever released."

:wub

My initial impression is that this is a special, special album. And I sort of understand how/why this album took so long to make. I mean, these are all fairly simple songs from what I can tell (at least the melodies are), but they are presented in such a perfect and complex way. This album was put together with a lot of love and care.

Was anyone else blown away by John's bass playing? His bass runs/fills in some of these songs are flat out sparkling.

As for the Maker's point about the cheesiness of What Light, well, I suppose it doesn't bother me. Its the Late Greats of SBS and I am ok with that. But then again, I spent most of yesterday trying to write a song and worrying about whether it sucked or not (note: it did). So Jeff's advice in that song may have hit me differently.

Thanks Wilco. Last night was a total blast. :D