Sky Blue Sky

All hail Jeff Tweedy, King of the mid-tempo rock album. His words not mine, but so true.

I found this album to be right in line with the progression of Wilco. The feel was exactly what Impossible Germany and Walken suggested it would be way back last summer. It was written by a genius who no longer has demons surrounding his entire life, but one who enjoys watching his kids grow up, hanging out with his wife, and writing music.

This made for a wonderful evening. I sat with a smile on my face all night. Thank you Wilco for everything.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone. I too loved SBS, one of their best efforts yet. It's clean and natual, and just sounds lovely. Thanks Jeff and the boys!

Also, and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but did anyone record ii/download it? If so, can someone PLEASE PM it to me? I want my GF friend to hear it, and see worked the night shift last night. If this post gets remove by admin, I totally understand.

Many thanks everyone.

Hope you're all well.

Hey everyone. I too loved SBS, one of their best efforts yet. It's clean and natual, and just sounds lovely. Thanks Jeff and the boys!

Also, and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but did anyone record ii/download it? If so, can someone PLEASE PM it to me? I want my GF friend to hear it, and see worked the night shift last night. If this post gets remove by admin, I totally understand.

Many thanks everyone.

Hope you're all well.

Same here. Yesterday was my birthday so I was not online to even hear about it.

I was really blown away by the album! It was the most soulful, old school rock and roll, groovin', flat out sexy record that I've heard in quite sometime. Like many others on this board I was blown away by hate it here and think aside from some small minutia these songs translated brilliantly into the studio. "Sky Blue Sky" and "Please Be Patient With Me" really blew me away, as did "Hate it Here." I can't wait to listen to the record more, but that's my initial reaction.

Also I recorded it. I'm assuming that about 200 other people have already uploaded it to yousendit, but if they haven't fell free to PM me and I'll upload it.

Sarah, it's about 50 minutes long.

I want to thank Wilco for being so generous to share this with us so far ahead of time. It is an album that will have to grow on me. "I Hate It Here" is a standout to me, too. While I'm not so convinced by the opening of "Shake It Off", I love the guitar work on the end of the song. "What Light" is also a favorite for me too. While it's definitely a more mellow album than I was expecting, it also has moments of pure beauty. I would agree that John's bass work is fantastic on this record. I can't say that I will listen to this album more or less than the others, but I think this will be more of a headphones record to be truly appreciated.

About 51:15

thanks. that's about what YHF was.

i don't really know why it's important, but i think that a 50-ish minute record is just about the perfect length.

what are all the songs like?

but I think this will be more of a headphones record to be truly appreciated.

I've found this to be true for every Wilco record from Summerteeth on. :)

I really keep trying to like it... I really keep trying. It's just not happening. I am glad you like it though. i wish I did. I wanted to!

My wife and I are longtime fans to UT and Wilco. Our child "saw" Tweedy live and Wilco live while he was in utero. His first baby pictures were taken in a Wilco onesie. We were thrilled to hear about the release and, like all fans, wanted to love it (or at least like it on first listen). While it sounds well-produced, unfortunately it sounds surprisingly trite, which is disappointing.

So Halsey, I couldn't agree with you more. I've listened to this thing about seven times now (still haven't closed the stream!) and I just can't warm up to it, try as I might. I mean, even on initial listens to AGIB, there were several things I really loved almost immediately. This? Not so much.

I realize many here love this thing, and I'm sure it'll grow on me, too. But good lord, given the opportunity to make an album with this talent and amount of money, I'm afraid Wilco missed this opportunity and instead created a pot of mid-tempo mashed potatoes...of course with all due respect. I hope it grows on me.

Did they decide to leak this to pre-empt the thunder of Son Volt's upcoming release? :ninja Okay, that's overboard.

I'm sitting through this one again right now...

My first impression was really good of this record. It has shadows of their other material on it, but, as most people have said, the new additions to the line-up really bring more to it. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable, but in my opinion, it's been great so far. For all of you thinking that Nels is too crazy...well...that's sort of his deal. Personally, I like the added element of the craziness. I don't think there is a bad song or an unnecessary song on the whole album. The title track is gorgeous, Impossible Germany is amazing, and the rest really falls into place.

Can't wait for the official release!

i love how after just a couple hours people have already made their final judgments about an album theyve heard at most a couple times. gotta love the internet.....

Really? Looks to me like these are initial responses to a new album. I fail to see any mention of, "That's how I hear it and that's final!" Seems the small handful who don't like it are simply underwhelmed but willing to be open to it, knowing how Wilco songs can grow through listens and live interpretations.

Give people a little credit. Yours aren't the only ears in the world.

I think it is Wilco's most beautiful album so far. Sky Blue Sky and Side with the Seeds are amazing. Particularly Side with the Seeds. Great piano work, I feel like you can feel Pat's influence in the organ work on some songs, "You Are My Face", Nels is fantastic injects just the right amount of rock-freak-out, Glenn shows his ability to play gorgeous laid back drums, John, as others have pointed out, continues to show he is the greatest bass player since Rick Danko and Jeff's lyrics are fantastic. Once again, a change from what came before, but still fantastic. Thank you Wilco.

when i heard the first three songs, "Either Way" to "Impossible Germany" it felt pleasant and the word "mellow" was mostly used to describe the feel of the album. but after awhile it got to be too mellow for its own good. the songs, like others have already said, didn't have enough distinction, something that every record from Summerteeth to AGIB has had. i was listening to AGIB last night while my brother played WoW and listened to 'Company In My Back' and it had soul, it was moving and inviting and that little tack piano part (or whatever that is) after "holy shit.. there's company in the my backk" is amazing. as just one song, it was fuller, packed more of an immediate musical uppercut. but i didn't hear anything that really grabbed me immediately like that as much on this album.

but it is a grower. it shows all the traits of a grower (for those that weren't immediately affected by it that is)

there are definite amazing tracks on here but overall thats the feeling i got.

will definitely be listening to it today to soak it all in.

Alright. So last night was the perfect evening. I watched Sunken Treasure with my sister, and then proceded to be blown away by listening to this album. The entire flow of the album was incredible and there isn't a song on the album that i don't love. I can't wait until I have the opportunity to see Wilco live cause I'm gonna be dancin' like its noboby's business!! Seriously, its impossible to listen to these songs and not get one's groove on. :dancing man, i still can't stop smiling!! :D

I'm starting to think Paul McCartney wrote "Hate It Here" for McCartney but new it was best sung by Jeff Tweedy 37 years in the future.

Very true.

But then, McCartney also released this song 10 years ago on "Flaming Pie". It was called "Souvenir" and he sang it masterfully. Remember it ?

That they are able to pull off a classic rock album in 2007 is freakin' cool. All the songs are great. I still don't know the names of some of the them but I really like Either Way and Sky Blue Sky. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like this album. My fear was there would be too much Nels Cline on it but he plays beautifully on it. I love that they twang again on this, it's the perfect mix of new Wilco and older Wilco.

This should be the album that keeps people happy, old fans and new fans alike. However if I could make a change it would be to add one really raucous rocker.

AGIB

YHF

ST

BT

SBS

AM

i think leave me (like you found me) is the first wilco song thats actually "sucked" since AM. other than that, the album has some great songs, but on the whole its just ok to me... so far, that is.