Sky Blue Sky

After a few listens I like the album but I'll admit to being a bit disappointed. This isn't something I would recommend to someone who doesn't already like Wilco. Someone who really enjoys Tweedy's solo shows should dig this one, although I'm not thrilled with Jeff's choice to push his singing range with all the falsetto, upper register stuff. It doesn't put his (nice but limited) voice in the best light. And yes, the indie rock community will be horrified by this album. It is the opposite of "edgy." But if the band is feeling mellow, I suppose you can't really fault them for expressing this in their music.

It's a very pleasant listening experience overall but for me the songwriting isn't as strong as previous albums. I can't see any of these songs getting any radio play. The little pop masterpieces of Summerteeth seem long in the past. But the musicianship is very strong and some of the terrific instrumental breaks bail out the places where the songwriting doesn't hold up. "Impossible Germany" and "On and On and On" are the highlights right now, but I'm sure I'll like others with a few more listens. "Side with the Seeds" is already growing on me.

Finally, how did "Let's Fight" not make the cut over "Shake It Off"?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you don't like it just because Jeff Tweedy had a hand in making it? Because you like the music for its merits, not its pedigree?

calm down, there are plenty of us that are inspired by not only the music but the lyrics and the voice. The album may not be as experimental or as big as Yankee/Ghost, but it's still filled with what makes Wilco so great.

Heart.

I couldn't think of a better album to listen too while I had breakfest and enjoyed my coffee this morning. There is plenty of love on this record, but cynical ears will most likely refuse to hear it. another solid record from one of my favorite bands.

I'll be honest.

I can't like this record.

I really kind of hate it.

I just feel so dissapointed. Every Wilco album post-A.M. was a top album of the year for me. Wilco 1996-2004 meant the same thing to me as the great album runs of R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, etc. Every album they did (including the firs Mermaid Avenue) in this period was on my top 10 list for the end of the year.

This is just...so below Wilco to my ears. There's not a song on this record that I'd say is as good as anything on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Summer Teeth.

Past Wilco records have evoked great artists like The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, Gram Parsons, The Band, Television, & The Replacements.

This record evokes Seals and Croft, Loggins and Messina, The Doobie Brothers, Yes, and Foreigner.

Which is fine if you like the above bands; but I don't.

Wilco taught me to get into a lot of music that I wasn't necessarily into before hand. Wilco got me into Country. Wilco got me into the avant garde. But I'll be damned if Wilco is going to get me into hammock rock music with this album.

I'm giving it a 4/ 10. The lowest I've ever given a Wilco record upto this point was A.M., which I gave a 7/10.

Everything else has been above an 8.5.

Is it just me or is there a Big Star influence on this record?

No I think they're one of the biggest influences, along with the Band and a little bit of Steely Dan on a few tracks as well. I've listened a couple of times, I don't think it matches Ghost or Yankee for me, but it's more consistent then Ghost and overall it's a lot more immediate. Sky Blue Sky and Please Be Patient With Me are devine and the only song I wasn't really taken with seems to be the one everyone really likes, Hate it Here. So it's certainly going to take a couple of more listens for me to pass anything near final judgement, but so far so good. I'd really like a track to just grab me the way that She's a Jar, At Least That's What You Said, Sunken Treasure, Muzzle of Bees, everything on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot did, but I haven't quite found a stand out yet.

--Mike

I'll be honest.

I can't like this record.

I really kind of hate it.

I just feel so dissapointed. Every Wilco album post-A.M. was a top album of the year for me. Wilco 1996-2004 meant the same thing to me as the great album runs of R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, etc. Every album they did (including the firs Mermaid Avenue) in this period was on my top 10 list for the end of the year.

This is just...so below Wilco to my ears. There's not a song on this record that I'd say is as good as anything on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Summer Teeth.

Past Wilco records have evoked great artists like The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, Gram Parsons, The Band, Television, & The Replacements.

This record evokes Seals and Croft, Loggins and Messina, The Doobie Brothers, Yes, and Foreigner.

Wilco taught me to get into a lot of music that I wasn't necessarily into before hand. Wilco got me into Country. Wilco got me into the avante garde. But I'll be damned if Wilco is going to get me into hammock rock music with this album.

I don't know, I think it reminds me more of Neil Young then 70's cheese folk. It's a bit simplistic for a Wilco record, but i'm cool with the mellow vibe. My favorite wilco songs have always been the slower ones. I could see why people would be disappointed if they were expecting a louder record.

Hasn't Jeff said that "Jesus Etc." sounds like a Doobie Brothers song?

I listened to it once last night late with only one speaker working, but it was fucking great.

I LOVE IT that they did something different. As Tweedy has mention, there is a 70's vibes feel which is true because of the soul coming from the keyboards and I also enjoy the interweaving guitar parts. While I am not sure where it ranks for me because I only listened to it once and will not listened to it again till May 15, I think its great.

They did something DIFFERENT which is what is important because while AGIB is my favorite album, I would have been pissed if they did repeated A Ghost Is Born or any other album. So my hat is off to Wilco.

Jeff at the Wilco show in Miami in 04 the same night Jimmy BUffet was playing in the arena: "Come on, people. You can get up and dance. It's not a fucking Jimmy Buffet show"

just another reason why mr. tweedy is awesome! :D

Boy Pitchfork is gonna hate this album :D.

It ain't indie enough for them.

The Grammies CAN'T possibly put this as an alternative rock album...can they?

I love this album. Possibly my favorite. It's like...liquid sex. Whatever that means. It's up there. I like it better than AGIB at this rate, and this might want to have a chat with YHF.

I am digging how Tweedy was almost always a quarter-tone flat on Shake It Off. Intonation be damned!

And the pump organ slays me EVERY TIME.

The whole record feels "shot from the hip." If that makes sense.

It ain't indie enough for them.

The Grammies CAN'T possibly put this as an alternative rock album...can they?

I love this album. Possibly my favorite. It's like...liquid sex. Whatever that means. It's up there. I like it better than AGIB at this rate, and this might want to have a chat with YHF.

I am digging how Tweedy was almost always a quarter-tone flat on Shake It Off. Intonation be damned!

And the pump organ slays me EVERY TIME.

The whole record feels "shot from the hip." If that makes sense.

wait - am I missing the pump organ? Where is that in the record?