Your musical guilty pleasures

Except realizing that on their hits, you're only listening to Mickey or Davey sing in front of a studio band...

Singing a great song, written by one of the best writers-for-hire of the day. (Goffin-King, Neil Diamond, etc...)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of bands from that time did not always play on their records. It was the era of the studio musician, after all. And starting from Headquarters on, they had control of what they did, including more of their own songs being recorded vs. songs by others. I believe Mickey has said many times that they were hired to play the part of a rock band, that they were not a rock band. That changed, though as Mike and Pete wanted to be a real band, and not just a couple of guys on a TV show. If you take the time to dig beneath the hits, there are some great songs to be found on their albums.

Singing a great song, written by one of the best writers-for-hire of the day. (Goffin-King, Neil Diamond, etc...)

Truly. I'm not ripping the songs themselves. I love their hits:

Last Train to Clarksville

Pleasant Valley Sunday

I'm a Believer

Steppin Stone

Those are some great songs.

And I also admire John Denver, if not only for taking the stand after Frank Zappa in the PMRC hearings.

Are Aerosmith classed as guilty pleasure? I love the old stuff, but I also love albums like permanent vacation, pump and nine lives. They obviously morphed into a MTV/powerballads type thing in the nineties but does that mean they are a guilty pleasure? If so.......then I'm guilty.

• 8 years later...

Resurrecting this thread because...

I was just listening to this song today and it occurred to me just how much I love so, so many of his songs. And then it occurred to me that he might be considered a guilty pleasure my many of you. But for me, he just really freaking rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04WTlUfn7hU