Your musical guilty pleasures

:worship

I think you and I are two of the seven people on this board who have even heard of Missing Persons or the Dream Academy.

By the way, I don't think of any of those as guilty pleasures, but then, I'm too old now to be "cool." :lol

I love the Dream Academy, Life in a Northern Town is an incredible track, I enjoy their self titled record quite a bit. I've heard of the Missing Persons, but not actually anything by them sadly.

As far as guilty pleasures, I'm a fan of the Barenaked Ladies I find their earlier work to incredibly enjoyable to listen to and I followed them up to Maroon, I sort of download a few tracks from the more recent releases here and there. I enjoy the first three Counting Crows albums a lot, they were one of the first semi-contemporary bands I got heavily into, and I love Phish's Billy Breathes and enjoy bits and pieces of some of the other studio records. And the Halloween show where they covered the White Album is top notch. I like Coldplay, too, even if they are a mediocre photo copy of Radiohead, I enjoy the hell out of their first albums. And a lot of late nineties one hit wonder alternative pop bands like Harvey Danger (who are perfectly acceptable because of the Long Winters connection), Nada Surf (who ended up becoming amazingly good), Semisonic, Fastball and the occasional Rage Against the Machine song when I'm feeling pissed at the man.

There we go, I feel a lot better now.

--Mike

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as guilty pleasures, I'm a fan of the Barenaked Ladies I find their earlier work to incredibly enjoyable to listen to and I followed them up to Maroon, I sort of download a few tracks from the more recent releases here and there.

i was a bnl junkie from like 1994-1998. i always loved the live show too, though the last time i saw them was probably circa 2000... the last good album they put out was 'stunt', imo. last year's release 'barenaked ladies are me' was just... awful.

i was a bnl junkie from like 1994-1998. i always loved the live show too, though the last time i saw them was probably circa 2000... the last good album they put out was 'stunt', imo. last year's release 'barenaked ladies are me' was just... awful.

I wasn't to impressed with what I heard from that either. Maroon had it's moments, but everything up to and including Stunt is much better. I could listen to Brian Wilson for days and I love their cover of Bruce Cockburn's Lovers in a Dangerous Time.

--Mike

I think you and I are two of the seven people on this board who have even heard of Missing Persons or the Dream Academy.

By the way, I don't think of any of those as guilty pleasures, but then, I'm too old now to be "cool." :lol

I know why you like the Missing Persons Mr. H. "Joe had a girlfriend named Mary.." :lol

I really love John Mayer, he's a great guitar player.

Coheed and Cambria.

Moneen was the first band I saw live and they pretty much have the most fun live show I've ever seen. I still really like their two first records.

Polyphonic Spree, I love catchy pop songs...

Elton John, dunno if I feel guilty about him but I sure as hell love him!

I love the Dream Academy, Life in a Northern Town is an incredible track, I enjoy their self titled record quite a bit. I've heard of the Missing Persons, but not actually anything by them sadly.

As far as guilty pleasures, I'm a fan of the Barenaked Ladies I find their earlier work to incredibly enjoyable to listen to and I followed them up to Maroon, I sort of download a few tracks from the more recent releases here and there. I enjoy the first three Counting Crows albums a lot, they were one of the first semi-contemporary bands I got heavily into, and I love Phish's Billy Breathes and enjoy bits and pieces of some of the other studio records. And the Halloween show where they covered the White Album is top notch. I like Coldplay, too, even if they are a mediocre photo copy of Radiohead, I enjoy the hell out of their first albums. And a lot of late nineties one hit wonder alternative pop bands like Harvey Danger (who are perfectly acceptable because of the Long Winters connection), Nada Surf (who ended up becoming amazingly good), Semisonic, Fastball and the occasional Rage Against the Machine song when I'm feeling pissed at the man.

There we go, I feel a lot better now.

--Mike

Not to turn this into another SBS thread (I know there's enough in Just A Fan), but while at some point while I was listening to the album today I thought of Billy Breathes. Can't remember exactly where I heard the similarites, but there were definitely a few instances. Perhaps it's just in the overall feel of the record.

Don't know why I had to bring that up. Probably because that's the first time I thought of Billy Breathes in a long time.

i dont think there should be "guilty pleasure music." you listen to what you enjoy, period.

still, for me:

gordon lightfoot

billy joel

the corrs (the music, that is)

a few dan fogelberg tunes

daniel boone (beautiful sunday & skydiver)

mmm-bop - hanson

too many broken hearts - jason donovan

gordon lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot is great. Anyone listen to his first two albums for a start. You find his first four albums on one double CD for the price of one: The United Artists Collection. There you notice that Dylan was probably inspired by stuff like "If You Got It" to get the sound of John Wesley Harding.

gordon lightfoot

You know I expect to see you on teh NP thread in approx. 12 hrs. :thumbup

Some good choice there among all that lot. I love me some Rush as well. The Dixie Chicks album is great and I love any of the Destiny's Child/Beyonce singles....they are shaketastic. :dancing

Gordon Lightfoot is great. Anyone listen to his first two albums for a start. You find his first four albums on one double CD for the price of one: The United Artists Collection. There you notice that Dylan was probably inspired by stuff like "If You Got It" to get the sound of John Wesley Harding.

Ditto. I don't know how Gordon Lightfoot falls under the "guilty pleasure" banner, either. (From Canada? Unfortunate hairstyle?)

Gary Pucket and the Union Gap

l0025731.gif

one i always get shit for is faces era/early rod stewart

Not from the really cool folks...

Spent some time feelin' inferior

standing in front of my mirror

Combed my hair in a thousand ways

but I came out looking just the same

Daddy said, "Son, you better see the world

I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to leave

But remember one thing don't lose your head

to a woman that'll spend your bread"

So I got out

Paris was a place you could hide away

if you felt you didn't fit in

French police wouldn't give me no peace

They claimed I was a nasty person

Down along the Left Bank minding my own

Was knocked down by a human stampede

Got arrested for inciting a peacful riot

when all I wanted was a cup of tea

I was accused

I moved on

Down in Rome I wasn't getting enough

of the things that keeps a young man alive

My body stunk but I kept my funk

at a time when I was right out of luck

Getting desperate indeed I was

Looking like a tourist attraction

Oh my dear I better get out of here

'for the Vatican don't give no sanction

I wasn't ready for that, no no

I moved right out east yeah!

On the Peking ferry I was feeling merry

sailing on my way back here

I fell in love with a slit eyed lady

by the light of an eastern moon

Shangai Lil never used the pill

She claimed that it just ain't natural

She took me up on deck and bit my neck

Oh people I was glad I found her

Oh yeah I was glad I found her

I firmly believe that I didn't need anyone but me

I sincerely thought I was so complete

Look how wrong you can be

The women I've known I wouldn't let tie my shoe

They wouldn't give you the time of day

But the slit eyed lady knocked me off my feet

God I was glad I found her

And if they had the words I could tell to you

to help you on the way down the road

I couldn't quote you no Dickens, Shelley or Keats

'cause it's all been said before

Make the best out of the bad just laugh it off

You didn't have to come here anyway

So remember, every picture tells a story

heh...have both their official releases...remember Nobody walks in LA

I'm going with "Love Will Keep Us Together' by Captain and Tenille (not sure if I spelled it right because I am half awake). But possibly, dare I say, not the, but one of the greatest songs ever.