Your musical guilty pleasures

lammycat, are you talking about the double disc from NYE 1999/2000? i was at that show. top 5 show i've ever been too.

I don't think it's the same one. The one I have is called "12 Garden Nights" and came out last year. I'll look for the one you are mentioning, though....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you enjoy the Billy Joel MSG discs, you really need to get his classic live CD Songs From The Attic. Great stuff ... I wouldn't even rank that in the "guilty pleasures" category, just the "pleasure" category. (Same goes for YES, Robert!)

Mine:

10,000 Maniacs

B-52s

The Cranberries

Jay Ferguson

I really like early Oasis. During my years of junior high, I used to be able to play all the guitar parts on their first 3 albums back to back. So, they hold a warm (guilty) place in my heart, despite all their "Beatles" blabber.

If you enjoy the Billy Joel MSG discs, you really need to get his classic live CD Songs From The Attic. Great stuff ... I wouldn't even rank that in the "guilty pleasures" category, just the "pleasure" category. (Same goes

Noted.

I guess I always just associated BJ as a cheesy, lounge-act like Pop artist. The only tune I can remember actually liking over the years was "Root Beer Rag," which has a real bite to it. My perceptions on music and ear for certain elements has obviously changed over the years.

Jimmy Buffett.

There, I said it. Let the mocking begin.

Was it cathartic letting that out?

(Same goes for YES, Robert!)

Earlier this week on my way back to work from lunch hour, I heard "Siberian Khatru" on the freaking radio!

I don't think I'd ever heard that on the radio, so I just drove around so i could hear all of it. I was late getting back to work. True story.

I've seen Yes get beat up on the board before, and I'm always stunned.

Sure, they got overblown, and I know punk was a reaction to all those kinds of bands and so on, but they were incredible musicians with an outstanding singer. The Yes Album, Fragile, and Going For The One are all classic albums. Later they had commercial success with some crap songs, but that was a totally different incarnation of the band.

I hear very few newer bands who have 1/10th the musicianship of the Yes lineups from 1970-1977.

I like to think that I only listen to REALLY good music BUT...

I get strange looks for knowing all the words to all the songs on the Sirius 1st Wave channel. Songs like "Secret" by OMD, "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo, and "Space Age Lovesong" by A Flock of Seagulls come to mind.

I still think these songs are good, it's just that most people don't.

Yes- "Gates of Delirium". Monstrously overblown, unnecessarily complex prog audacity.

Yet, I love it.

I like "Time After Time", "Breakfast In America", and "Don't Dream It's Over", too.

Yes- "Gates of Delirium". Monstrously overblown, unnecessarily complex prog audacity.

Yet, I love it.

:thumbup

...and, what Mr. H said.

Early Madonna (1st 4 albums)

those grooves on the 1st album in particular just get to me, and they remind me of my sister

:dancing Hell yes.

Also, Willie Nelson's latest album, Songbird is very good. Ryan Adams produced it and he plays a loy of different instruments on it, as do the Cardinals. There's even a cover of the GD's "Stella Blue." Although digging on Willie sometimes makes me feel like my dad or something, Willie's always been and still is a hip cat, so not much guilt on this one....

I saw Willie Nelson at the Bridge School Benefit a few years ago, and holy mother of ryan adams, it was absolutely amazing.

OK. This can be dangerous, and embarrasing, quite frankly. But although I don't own any of their music, whenever I hear Bon Scott-era AC/DC in the car I crank that sucker up. Why ? I guess 'cause IT ROCKS, DUDES! :blush

A cousin of mine in Ireland is a serious traditional musician (fiddler). I asked his wife once if they listened to just trad. music around the house, and she said "Yeah, pretty much. Well, that, and Johnny Cash... and AC/DC." :lol

I get strange looks for knowing all the words to all the songs on the Sirius 1st Wave channel. Songs like "Secret" by OMD, "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo, and "Space Age Lovesong" by A Flock of Seagulls come to mind.

:music The soundtrack to my teenage years...

Jimmy Buffett.

There, I said it. Let the mocking begin.

This deserves its own thread.(but I don't want to be the one who starts it) :unsure

I went through a Buffett phase in high school. Musically, there's really not much redeeming anything past the mid 70s or so, but I'll vouch for some of his early stuff. And, corny or not, he was probably a main entry point by which I later began to explore more "authentic" Carribean music, not to mention folk and singer-songwriter stuff. Scary as it may be, that may have been an important formative stage for me. (Did I just write that??) :ermm

This is NOT a guilty pleasure, dearie, it's one of life's great pleasures!

ok. I want to know why AC/DC is a guilty pleasure...

ok. I want to know why AC/DC is a guilty pleasure...

I think AC/DC is generally associated with pimply-faced teen-age boy cock-rock. I'm not saying that doesn't have a place, but it's more a guilty pleasure digging on them as mature adult. Maybe? I don't know....

I do know that Stevie Wonder is in an upper echelon unto himself, though. Stevie is the shit.