am, bt, st OR yhf, agib, sbs

I love, love, love, love me some A.M., and Summerteeth is an amazing record so I'm gonna have to go with the first three. It does make me sad to leave the brilliance of YHF behind, but A.M/BT/ST is just too wonderful to part with.

This is a little bit too much like Sophie's Choice.

i'll take em all. i've "found" each wilco album out of sync as far as release dates, and each one occupies it's own special spot in my heart:

first yhf, then agib, then st, then am, then bt, then ma1&2, now sbs.

i can honestly say, they're all good; i couldn't choose one group over the other. in fact, there are really only two tracks that i routinely skip when they appear: my darling and just that simple. i edited out the drone from ltyt and really like that song as a result, but probably couldn't listen to it every time with the drone.

and, as far as groupings go, i don't think i would place sbs with yhf and agib. i mean, i know you are grouping them chronologically, but thematically (maybe?) and from an "approachability" standpoint, i would group like so: am, bt, sbs or st, yhf, agib.

does mermaid avenue count as a choice?

i choose mermaid avenue.

id have to take a lot of bragg songs off though, i mean im a big "back to basics" fan

but it has the same effect has hearing jay farrars voice next to tweedys, i end up just skipping a lot of songs.

how can you top "remember the mountain bed" honestly?

Funny, when I hear Jay Farrar's songs next to Jeff's on UT albums, it's not Jay's that I skip.

I've always quietly pitied the Wilco fans who can't appreciate Farrar, Bragg, et al. It must suck to not understand "Mermaid Avenue" or "No Depression," two of the greatest albums ever made (as much because of the non-Tweedy participants as Jeff himself).

the stripped down Bragg songs are Mermaid Ave's highlights, though I think the full band backed Bragg songs mostly suck. maybe Wilco were dropping the ball for his tunes, but i think Bragg probably called the shots and just didn't have the taste that Tweedy and Bennett had for "serving the song" or however you want to say "making it sound good".

sadly i still don't own any UT, save some stray Jeff tunes in my iTunes. one day, though.

Don't get me wrong... I love Wilco more than any band in the land. But there's something about Jay's voice that just gets in my soul & doesn't let go. Truly an amazing voice...when he was 20+ he sounded like a grizzled vet.

> I think the full band backed Bragg songs mostly suck

i dont think so.... i guess i planted, she came along to me, meanest man, walt whitman, stetson kennedy and the unwelcome guest are really good

these albums were 2 people collaborating on someone elses songs. they seem to hve found the best way to represent the lyrics when the put music to them. i prefer billy bragg's version of against the law and that little clip of jeff doing birds and ships on the dvd.

speaking of birds and ships, i remember being in a record shop back when the album was coming out. they were playing it there and i asked the guy what cd this was. birds and ships was playing and he gave me the details and said "this is the only good song on the album".... errrrr, thanks - california stars made me change my opinion!

I've always quietly pitied the Wilco fans who can't appreciate Farrar, Bragg, et al. It must suck to not understand "Mermaid Avenue" or "No Depression," two of the greatest albums ever made (as much because of the non-Tweedy participants as Jeff himself).

I don't know if "pity" is the right word, but I'm more or less on board with you. Of course, I was a huge Bragg fan long before Wilco (or even Uncle Tupelo) existed, and in his prime I believe he was one of the best songwriters of all time. As for Farrar, I think his peaks haven't been as high as Jeff's, but the quality of his output has been fairly consistent, and his early Tupelo work is still some of my favorite stuff ever.