Traveling Wilburys albums to be reissued

I've been waiting for this news for at least the last decade.....

March 20, 2007, 5:40 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

After being out of print for more than a decade, the two studio albums from all-star band the Traveling Wilburys will return to the marketplace in a variety of formats June 12 via Wilbury Records/Rhino, Billboard.com has learned.

"Traveling Wilburys Volume 1" and "Traveling Wilburys Volume 3" will be available together in one package with bonus tracks and a DVD of rare footage, as a deluxe linen-bound edition, a vinyl set and a digital bundle. The DVD boasts a 24-minute documentary and five music videos.

The Wilburys formed in 1988 after Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison assembled at a California studio to record a B-side for the Harrison single "This Is Love."

The resulting song, "Handle With Care," was instead released under the Wilburys name, with the artists posing as a band of brothers. It went on to reach No. 45 on the Billboard Hot 100, while the "Volume 1" album hit No. 3 on The Billboard 200. The reissued version of the album includes the previously unreleased tracks "Maxine" and "Like a Ship."

Orbison died in late 1988 before a second album could be completed; it was eventually released as "Volume 3" in 1990. The set is expanded here with the B-side "Runaway" and "Nobody's Child," which was released on a benefit album for Romanian orphans.

EDIT: link to the article below...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003560481

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah!!! This is awesome! Some of my earliest memories are sitting in the back of my parents car, with my brothers and sisters, while my parents played Volume 1.

great news...

volume 1 was one of the first albums i ever bought back in 88. hopefully there's an improvement on the sound quality on these, i still remember the first time i heard Handle with care on the radio and getting blown away by Heading for the light on the LP.. i have Like a ship (one of the bonus on a dylan boot somewhere.. will hunt it down)

yay! it's about time! :rock

Guest Rufer
Ah!!! This is awesome! Some of my earliest memories are sitting in the back of my parents car, with my brothers and sisters, while my parents played Volume 1.

Me too!

Jeff Lynne is hugely responsible for the way that CD (one of the first my family owned) sounds. Definitely sounds 80's but in a good way! I don't think it's just nostalgia but I wouldn't rule it out.

Roy Orbison's "Not Alone"--incredible singing.

Jeff Lynne is hugely responsible for the way that CD (one of the first my family owned) sounds.

My only quibble with the Wilburys. I hate, hate, HATE Jeff Lynne's production.