I WANT A JAZZMASTER

Original or re-issue. Any sellers? I have a feeling I'll be waiting around years for an original, so a re-issue would due for the time being. I really don't want to pay for a new one though.

you could always build one from the surplus of parts on ebay. all old parts.... it would be great.

im going to do that. wait, why am i telling you?!?!

I'm working on that actually. I have a line on an original 1960 body and neck, both would need to be re-finished though, which will cost about a grand. Just seems that when its all said and done, I would end up paying the same for an original put together.

So for about $1750 right now i can get a completely re-finished 1960 neck and body. I'll still need all the original electrics and whatnot. Re-finishing them also lowers the value. What to do...

dont refinish it.

that will lower the price alot, better to do nothing at all.

look at nelsy's. it used to be black....

one day ill try this project...

I don't think i'm going to buy the one i spoke about above. At one point there was a gold sparkle custom paint job on it and it really looks awful. I think the value is already down on it because of that. I do want to start on some sort of re-furbishing type project on a guitar that would give me a little profit. If anyone has any suggestions on a good starter, let me know.

Thanks!

I do want to start on some sort of re-furbishing type project on a guitar that would give me a little profit. If anyone has any suggestions on a good starter, let me know.

Thanks!

You could get one of the older Ibanez Jet Kings and do some work on it, possibly turning a profit (or if not a profit, at least it's a cheap guitar on which to hone your refinishing and electronics skills). Those are pretty cool guitars, and versatile since they have the coil tap.

http://www.mojopie.com/jtk1.html

I was talking to Nels after a Wilco show and he says that the reissue Jazzmasters are shit, and he only likes the vintage ones. Straight from the Jazzmaster man himself!

And yeah the reissues can be bought for $2000.

I've heard rumor that the Japanese Reissues are actually quite high quality, but if you want the warm/muddy classic tone you'll have to switch out the pickups on it...otherwise you get single coils in disguise. But it's an easy fix and its a much cheaper guitar...albeit a bit harder to find. I haven't played one...so couldn't tell you.

Jazzmaster has been on my wishlist for a while. Just can't afford it....though I've been seriously contemplating the mij reissue.

I do want to get one of the those Ibanez Jet Kings to refurbish, I've actually been looking for a while...used ones don't seem to be to available.

I've heard rumor that the Japanese Reissues are actually quite high quality.

I do want to get one of the those Ibanez Jet Kings to refurbish, I've actually been looking for a while...used ones don't seem to be to available.

Ishibashi is the source for Japanese Fenders (or Japanese ANYthing), but I heard that they no longer ship to the US. I'm not sure if that's true. The Japanese Fenders have a solid reputation, and are pretty widely considered superior to US made Fenders from recent years.

Those Jet Kings pop up from time to time, but I guess they're getting pretty rare. The Jet King 2 is more widely available, but is atrocious, imo.

• 2 weeks later...
Fuck profit, buy a guitar you'll enjoy playing.

i agree. guitars i buy, i want to have forever. and if they play great, who cares about a little age and wear. look at willie nelson's "trigger". i've got the first guitar i have ever owned, a beginner fender that has a great woody sound that i use for slide and open tuning stuff. it's beat to hell and the other day my son found the uncle tupelo sticker that was stuck in anthology reissue and stuck it on it. it's crumpled and goes over the binding but i thought i'd leave it. at least it's uncle tupelo and he could have put easter bunny or dora the explorer stickers.