this music rocks!

hey everyone! just got grant lee phillips new CD and its really a nice listen... he was performing a little before I was really going to shows but he toured with smashing pumpkins, pearl jam & REM... anyone see him? anyway I bought the album and I really enjoy his music, someone sent me a link to his myspace and I was hooked! he seems to be influenced by the beatles genre, but his take is done from an authentic voice which is refreshing to me... some of my co workers & I at umgd are going to check him out here in LA on the 27th of next month and I recommend checking him out if he is in your area... here's the official link to his site www.grantleephillips.com

i loves me some grant-lee. he is a kick to see live, too.

have heard a few of the new songs at shows over the last year or so, am ready to pick up his new cd!

Wrong forum for this thread.

play nice. :nono

but this is the correct forum...someone else's song... :ermm

um, maybe a moderator moved it? :ninja

:blush sorry to leave you all confuzed :wave

And back on topic - I love me some Grant Lee Philips! :dance

I had only just read in this month's Mojo that he has a new one out. I liked the last one he had, the covers of the 80's songs. Of course, for me, nothing he has done will touch the goodness of Fuzzy.

Fuzzy and Mighty Joe Moon are superb albums. After those i think the bass player left and something went awry. Copperopolis was decent but i really didn't like Jubilee at all - after that i sort of lost interest.

Always meant to check back on his solo stuff but somehow never did. If anyone can recommend a particular album of his solo stuff that'd be appreciated ;-).

Fuzzy and Mighty Joe Moon are superb albums. After those i think the bass player left and something went awry. Copperopolis was decent but i really didn't like Jubilee at all - after that i sort of lost interest.

Always meant to check back on his solo stuff but somehow never did. If anyone can recommend a particular album of his solo stuff that'd be appreciated ;-).

God, I hope Greg reads this thread because he's a more ardent Grant Lee Phillips supporter than I am. I pretty much agree with your assessment of GLB's albums, though I find bright spots on each release, and Grant secured a place in my pantheon of musicians a long time ago. However, I don't think any of Grant's solo work has approached the band's output. I haven't heard the new one, but here's my very quick summary of each:

Ladies' Love Oracle: very spare, acoustic, lo-fi

Mobilize: a lot of production, more of a mainstream feel, but probably my favorite of his solo records, just 'cos I like to hear him belt it out

Virginia Creeper: more of a balance in production; rootsier too

um, maybe a moderator moved it? :ninja

:blush sorry to leave you all confuzed :wave

:brow a-HA!

PUBLIC APOLOGY TO CRYPTOM!! i didn't know that your comment was from a diff. forum location. sorry i chastised you when no such behavior was called for. :cheers

and now, everybody, with feeling, "TRULY, TRULY, TRULY I DO!"

:brow a-HA!

PUBLIC APOLOGY TO CRYPTOM!! i didn't know that your comment was from a diff. forum location. sorry i chastised you when no such behavior was called for. :cheers

and now, everybody, with feeling, "TRULY, TRULY, TRULY I DO!"

:lol

Apology not necessary, Ms. Y! :wub

• 2 weeks later...
I've not heard the new one, but I do like GLP... Mobilize is certainly my favourite of his solo stuff, that's for sure.

I really like the new one, "Strangelet". Some great stuff on there.

Saw GLP the other day when I saw Robyn Hitchcock. GLP joined them onstage for a bit. Evonne, will you be at his Troubadour show on the 27th? Patrick Park opens, too! :w00t