Yeah, Morgan spends a lot of time during his broadcasts just making things up. I especially like it when he argues with the radar gone -- there was one incident last year where he identified the pitch as a slider, just before they flashed a graphic of the radar gun, which read like 96 or something like that. To everyone at home, it was clear that it was a fastball, not a slider, but Morgan just insisted that the radar gun had to be wrong, because no one can throw a 96 mph slider. It was pretty awesome.

Thats my favorite thing ever, when he's so obviously wrong but he completely ignores reality.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dontrelle Willis' strikeouts are going to cost him this season.

Willis has pledged $100 for every strikeout he compiles to Derrek Lee's Project 3000 campaign. The goal for Project 3000 is to find a cure for Lebers Congenital Amaurosis, a disease that cost Lee's daughter, Jade, vision in one eye.

Willis is pledging an additional $100 per strikeout to ''Strikeouts for Troops,'' which benefits injured U.S. soldiers.

Dontrelle is a hell of a guy, huh?

It's gotta be kind of sad that Dontrelle Willis is arguably doing more for injured US troops than the President..

If you're young and into drinkin', a fun game can be to take a swill everytime Morgan says the word "slider." It's one of his favorite words, I believe, and once you take note of how often he drawls the word out "slAIIIIIIderrrr" you will accompany me in a little nook of Hell.

OMG, did the Mets put the hurt on the Phillies bullpen today or what? 8 runs in two innings to win their home opener. New York's got a new Murderer's Row.

OMG, did the Mets put the hurt on the Phillies bullpen today or what? 8 runs in two innings to win their home opener. New York's got a new Murderer's Row.

The Marlins lead the league in runs.

Just saying.

Miguel Cabrera > Anyone on the Mets

Well, I think we should give the new season a month, or more precisely, wait for each NL East team to have a series or two against every other team in the division, before we have some insight on who might be doing well. The Marlins, for instance, fed off of bad Nationals pitching at first, as the Mets did on bad St. Louis pitching. Atlanta looks to be a little tougher this year than last.

That said, "Jim-my Roll-ins! Jim-my Roll-ins!"

Well, I think we should give the new season a month, or more precisely, wait for each NL East team to have a series or two against every other team in the division, before we have some insight on who might be doing well. The Marlins, for instance, fed off of bad Nationals pitching at first, as the Mets did on bad St. Louis pitching. Atlanta looks to be a little tougher this year than last.

That said, "Jim-my Roll-ins! Jim-my Roll-ins!"

I think you are completely right about the whole wait and see thing, I was just saying it's a bit early in the season to call the Mets "Murderers Row", especially when a key component of said Row is about a year and a half away from being done with his career.

Thaw out Ted Williams!

The Marlins lead the league in runs.

Just saying.

Miguel Cabrera > Anyone on the Mets

They started the season with a series against the Nationals. Just saying.

David Wright better not be in the Home Run Derby this year. Shit fucked him up last year.

Indians vs. Angels at Milwaukee tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday - all seats only $10!!! Come out and see some good baseball!

Graham is hoping they stay in Milwaukee until their next series against the Sox

I have to admit it is tempting to go up and root for.....ummm.....enjoy the atmosphere. :P

I guess I could just root against everyone - Travis Hafner!! I HATE YOU! :realmad

The Mets play the Nationals as many times as the Marlins do.

But they haven't yet, hence the Marlins' early runs lead.

And it's not just closers coming in with a 3 run lead in the ninth that demonstrates how poorly they're used. It's harder to find the numbers, but if you look at situations where a team is tied in the 9th, or down by one in the 8th, teams often bring in someone else in order to save their closer for a possible save situation later on, even though that would really be a better use of your best available pitcher. You won't see that by looking at the numbers for the closers -- you'll see it by looking at the numbers for the other guys in the 'pen.

As well as overusing the closer in terms of arm wear. If the closer is expected to be available to close games on a daily basis you can't regularly bring him in during tight games earlier than the 9th or late in the 8th. If a closer is getting high pitch counts frequently he's not going to last a season and no manager is going to subject his best late-game pitcher to that.

In Papelbon's situation, Francona is especially cautious as he's concerned about taxing his arm as he's had problems with it. The "saving the closer for the last three outs" argument is that you want the most reliable guy on the mound when the game is down to the wire. It'd be great to bring in the sure-fire closer earlier in close games but it's not realistic, in most cases, in terms of preserving the closer's arm for an entire season.

But I'm not talking about having the closer pitch 2 innings all the time. I'm just talking about being smarter about when he is being used. I'm saying, using him in the 8th when the game is tied is a better use of him than the 9th with a lead. Or even the 9th inning of a tie game -- that's a better use of your best bullpen pitcher than when the team is up by 2 or 3 runs. Just because he comes in during the 8th doesn't mean he has to pitch all the way through the 9th. Who cares if the save (which is probably the stupidest stat kept in baseball) goes to someone else? An intelligent use of the bullpen ace doesn't necessarily mean using him more, it just means using him in a smarter way that maximizes how he can help the team win and minimizes wasting him in situations where a lesser pitcher could get the job done. It's a matter of viewing him as the "bullpen ace" rather than the "closer".

But I'm not talking about having the closer pitch 2 innings all the time. I'm just talking about being smarter about when he is being used. I'm saying, using him in the 8th when the game is tied is a better use of him than the 9th with a lead. Or even the 9th inning of a tie game -- that's a better use of your best bullpen pitcher than when the team is up by 2 or 3 runs. Just because he comes in during the 8th doesn't mean he has to pitch all the way through the 9th. Who cares if the save (which is probably the stupidest stat kept in baseball) goes to someone else? An intelligent use of the bullpen ace doesn't necessarily mean using him more, it just means using him in a smarter way that maximizes how he can help the team win and minimizes wasting him in situations where a lesser pitcher could get the job done. It's a matter of viewing him as the "bullpen ace" rather than the "closer".

I see your point and agree to an extent, but I'm also looking at it from the perspective that even infrequent use, (in particular games/situations) where a closer is brought in earlier than normal to hold a game and then some, there's the potential that he's not available the next day if his pitch count is high.

I know pitch count has become a craw in the game that is overly ballyhooed but it is what it is. Just as the "closer's" role has become pigeonholed, it's the trend in the game. I'm not sure how many managers would be willing to stick their necks (jobs) out to experiment with potential better useage of the ace in the pen.

ed. And I do note your comment that you are not referring to a closer who comes in during perhaps the 8th not necessarily finishing the game, but again, don't you want the best pitcher in the pen at the end of a game?

Yes, situationally it might make more sense....but what manager will do this?