I think a pitcher can throw 100+ innings and not have to worry about long term damage.

Depends on the pitcher.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a term for the phenomenon of players playing completely over their head in a contract year (or in the postseason of a contract year), resulting in idiotic teams being duped into paying huge riches in the offseason? and then the player sucking ass on the new team?

it happens so often that there has to be a term for it. maybe we should just call it the Jeff Weaver theory. seems as good as any. and I bet most people would know what you were talking about if you just referred to it by name.

is there a term for the phenomenon of players playing completely over their head in a contract year (or in the postseason of a contract year), resulting in idiotic teams being duped into paying huge riches in the offseason? and then the player sucking ass on the new team?

it happens so often that there has to be a term for it. maybe we should just call it the Jeff Weaver theory. seems as good as any. and I bet most people would know what you were talking about if you just referred to it by name.

There has been some studies done over the years that says that there is a slight increase in playing time during contract years for most players, but not necesarily a huge increase in production.

I think "The JD Drew" effect would work for players who somehow manage to stay healthy only in contract years would fit.

And then the players who suddenly have career years and become involced in steroid investigations would be the "Gary Matthews Effect".

I think "The JD Drew" effect would work for players who somehow manage to stay healthy only in contract years would fit.

And then the players who suddenly have career years and become involced in steroid investigations would be the "Gary Matthews Effect".

I can endorse this.

As an aside -- I would argue the Jeff Weaver Effect is more damaging to the psyche of the fans of the team he plays out of his jock to beat. Even moreso than the fans of the team he ultimately signs with after the fact. The fans of the new team (i.e., Mariners) know he sucks and don't get their hopes up (although an argument could be made that they have ample reason to think their front office has no clue how to run a team, which can't be a good thing). The fans of the team he beat (i.e., Mets) had to watch in stunned disbelief as their season got flushed down the toilet by a player who everyone knew would have a 6.00 ERA in the following season.

Damn Jeff Weaver.

Donnelly struck Guillen out and then they were jawing at each other.

And then he plunked Kenji Johjima on the next pitch.

I just finished watching this game. Unintentional inside fastball that hit Johima in the thigh. Guess the ump was just evening things up, though.

Weaver was wretched, but good to see the Sox bats alive against the bullpen, too.

Biggest plus about the game was Beckett's second strong outing on the mound. He's the key to getting the Sox in strong contention this year, I feel. If he can regain his form from a few years ago, Sox are a solid rotation.

Oil Can Boyd says: "I guess the Donnelly-Guillen bad blood goes backa while"

The bad blood goes back to when they were teammates on the Angels and Guillen was traded to the Nationals. Guillen wasn't happy about being traded and told his new manager, Frank Robinson, that Donnelly uses pine tar in his mitt. Robinson called Donnelly out on it in the middle of an interleague game two years ago and a bench-clearer ensued.

The bad blood goes back to when they were teammates on the Angels and Guillen was traded to the Nationals. Guillen wasn't happy about being traded and told his new manager, Frank Robinson, that Donnelly uses pine tar in his mitt. Robinson called Donnelly out on it in the middle of an interleague game two years ago and a bench-clearer ensued.

That was a great moment. I wish Frank was still managing...

some really loud yuppie guy sitting next to me is talking about how great it will be to go to the Cubs game today and I don't hear a hint of sarcasm in his voice at all......weirdo.

--

update - he is bummed, it has been canceled apparently.

There was one report today that said Donnelly was supportive of - and instrumental in - Guillen being kicked off the Angels right before the 2004 playoffs.

I heart Jorge Julio.

:(

Thats not cool.

I left before the bottom of the 9th yesterday because I get violent when Julio pitches now.

I came back just in time to see him finish off the inning with a catch at the warning track after blowing yet another save.

Fuck Jorge Julio.

:(

Thats not cool.

I left before the bottom of the 9th yesterday because I get violent when Julio pitches now.

I came back just in time to see him finish off the inning with a catch at the warning track after blowing yet another save.

Fuck Jorge Julio.

He's like a bad Armando Benitez.