this whole Imus thing is going to fuck talk radio and TV up even more than it already is. i don't like imus and the whole comment was indeed insensitive and unfunny...but the uproar over this seems insane. sponsors backing out and all this pressure for him to be fired...WTF?!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said was one of the stupider things I've heard a talk show guy say. Absolutely no reason for it. If that shouldn't get him fired, the fact that he doesn't have much to say should.

That said, I agree that all of the hullaballoo surrounding this is a bit over the top. Slow news week?

I never thought I'd see Don Imus on the cover of a news paper. He's getting more attention than he's ever had because of this. It's ridiculous, but once he apologized that should have been the end of it. I think the guy's a prick and I can't stand his show, but at the same time I don't think that he should have his entire career destroyed because he told an offensive joke.

Imus makes fun of everyone. And he is not very good at it. Or funny. But anyone that listens to his show regularly (I do) knows that the guy is not a racist, but instead is a crotchety old misanthrope. A misanthrope (I might add) who has dedicated his life to raising awareness for autism, SIDS, toxic home cleaning products, walter reed medical hospital, etc. And he runs a ranch for kids with cancer.

The guy is an idiot and he should have been suspended. And he should apologize for what he did (he has). But what is happening to him now is flat-out ridiculous.

He makes a living as a DJ who pushes the envelope and is on live radio more than 20 hrs a week. Eventually in that field you are going to go too far. Frankly, I think he has said and done worse. This isn't to excuse what he did. Like I said, he deserves to be punished. But the fallout is completely over-the-top in my mind.

Other dudes in the same business have been fired for similiar things.

Here is another view - Michelle Malkin

more Imus gold

Thats the first time ive ever agreed with Malkin on anything.

I still think that Imus should go, but so should every one of those ghetto-trash rappers. It's a shame, the mainstream music industry took what used to be an exciting genre (Rap/Hip-Hop) and totally ruined it via stereotype.

Imus makes fun of everyone. And he is not very good at it. Or funny. But anyone that listens to his show regularly (I do) knows that the guy is not a racist,

it's been said that back when Imus worked at WNBC, he regularly referred to a black secretary or assistant as "nigger" and "jigaboo". this was all off the air, not part of any show or bit, so if that doesn't make him a racist, I'm not sure what does.

There'll be no lack of sponsorship to step in to replace any sponsors pulling out over this.

I'm wondering if it was a black host who made the same comment would there be such an uproar.

Im not an Imus fan and it was insensitive to make the comment (although really, he was riffing on one of his producers making a similar comment a second prior to his comment), but cripes he's publicly copped to the fact he erred almost immediately and even went on Sharpton's show (who's of course, calling for his dismissal) to state he was wrong and offer contrition.

I think the whole PC thing has tilted dangerously to the extreme to which there's an absurd amount of "cry foul" proported.

Imus is a maggot, and I wouldn't shed any tears if he were fired.

At the same time, I hope the people who are outraged about his use of the word "ho" to refer to women save some of that fire for the rappers and others who have popularized the term. If we fire Imus but we give a pass to those responsible for the ubiquity of that denigrating slur, we create a double standard that's more destructive than anything Imus said.

But to be clear: I'm not defending Imus at all. I would just hate to see him become the lone scapegoat for a problem that goes way beyond his ridiculous little radio program.

edit: I just now read the Malkin piece, in which she covers much of the same territory. And yes, that's undoubtedly the first time I've ever agreed with her on anything.

Both Imus' comments and the perpetuation of racist and/or misogynist stereotypes via mainstream hip-hop, popular culture, Girls Gone Wild, etc etc are serious problems in this nation.....it has been said a lot this week - as women (regardless of race) make strides forward in society, culture, politics, etc there is an extreme backlash against them coming from a number of directions......

The blatant misogyny that is happening in our culture right now sickens me as I try and steer my daughter into a direction that will enable her to be a strong, empowered woman - this culture is trying to pin her into a box that makes her an accessory, a ho, a sexually available commodity.....she is buying into is as well.....she is 13 and calls herself and her girlfriends "hos" because that's what's "cool". I try and talk to her about the ramifications about this language - but of course she just thinks I am lame and don't know of what I speak.

:no

Amen, Reni.

Out of the last few racial "controversies"/"outrages" that we've slogged through here in the States, I have to say that Imus' is one of the most legitimately offensive.

What the hell was he thinking? (I've always thought) he's an idiot. Even if he is not to be fired, I don't think that two weeks' suspension is enough. No wonder he sees his punishment as "appropriate." It's far less than a slap on the wrists.

Radio is bad in general, but talk radio is 100% crap.

Tacky as his comments were the war wagon that Sharpton and his NAACP cronies rolled out is overkill, it makes them seem desperate and overzealous. I couldn't care less if Imus gets the axe but making a mountain out of this molehill seems like a step in the wrong direction IMO. I think it's a very small piece of a much bigger problem. Sharpton should spend more time keeping guys like Chris Rock and gangsta rappers from perpetuating the self inflicted stereotyping of the black community. Trying to make an example of a white guy that used slang they made up is insane, guys like Imus wouldn't know what a ho is without black celebs bringing it to the mainstream. Now that it's practically a household word it shouldn't be a shock to hear some middle aged white guy using it, especially one that makes a living doing really lame half baked shock radio. With all the legitimate civil issues in this country that need attention going the extra mile for this is a waste of time and resources.

Imus is a maggot, and I wouldn't shed any tears if he were fired.

At the same time, I hope the people who are outraged about his use of the word "ho" to refer to women save some of that fire for the rappers and others who have popularized the term. If we fire Imus but we give a pass to those responsible for the ubiquity of that denigrating slur, we create a double standard that's more destructive than anything Imus said.

But to be clear: I'm not defending Imus at all. I would just hate to see him become the lone scapegoat for a problem that goes way beyond his ridiculous little radio program.

edit: I just now read the Malkin piece, in which she covers much of the same territory. And yes, that's undoubtedly the first time I've ever agreed with her on anything.

that was a fantastic use of the word "ubiquity"

Kinda funny that Sharpton is all agog over this. That race pimp created a shit storm with the Tawana Brawley case and then pretty much caused the death of that Rosenbaum kid back during the Crown Heights riots by inciting violence.

While Imus is an idiot, Sharpton and all the other race pimps are the biggest bunch of hypocrites around. You can be sure he (Sharpton) is looking for dollar signs. He's nothing but a shakedown artist.