• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who you callin' nappy-headed?
Guest Jules

I have to be honest; I remember watching Rutgers playing and thinking they looked a little more "thuggish" than your average women's basketball team.

Is this a bad thing?

So after they hang Imus out to dry will it stop there or will the slur police\lynch mob attempt to work its way to the center of the 'real' problem. I'm guessing no.

It is not about hanging him out to dry it is a business decision. I work for a company that would never advertise on a show like Imus, or Stern, Or Rush etc... they stay away from controversey because it could affect the bottom line. When P&G pulls their ads it is because of possible effects on the bottom line. What went into P&G's decision? I don't know. Perhaps they had Imus on the radar? Perhaps they had no clue about his history and alleged history and are just learning as much in the last few days. Regardless, large companies want to steer clear of controversy and in the end it comes down to business and Imus ends up being bad business for P&G. I don't watch televised news so i have no clue how the sotry is playing out there, however I have a friend who watches fox news and his whole take on the thing is very similar to what has played out here in this thread. Is that the Fox slant? I have no clue, but whatever the slant be it from Sharpton, Fx MSNBC the NY Post, the NY Times, regardless of all that what he said was demeaning to that particular group of young ladies who are trying to move beyond those stereo types. Way back int he 70's I had shoulder length hair, and I had friend who were in the wrong crowds and it was always assumed that I was one of them, in spite of my playing sports and getting decent enough grades to go to college. Some of those people who had that pereception of me were surprised to see that I never was waht they suspected. And if you blanket these girls with stereo types like they have ben ht with, wll it can do is cause them harm in the long run.

I have to be honest; I remember watching Rutgers playing and thinking they looked a little more "thuggish" than your average women's basketball team.

Is this a bad thing?

That's it, you're suspended from posting for 2 weeks.

This is off-topic, but wasn't Imus the 'inspiration' for the movie "Talk Radio"? I always thought that was an excellent movie.

this was a manufactured crisis to make imus relevant again. he's not.

i think this was far more misogynistic than racist. he called them "hardcore hoes" before he said nappy-headed. the guy's a dick deluxe and a hack. he shouldn't be fired for his comment, but because he's a shitty broadcaster no-talent hasbeen.

Imus' show brings in more ad revenue for WFAN than even Mike and the Mad Dog. I don't think he's going anywhere.

it's just comical that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are getting all the face time, and on a day where the charges against the Duke players were dropped.

Jesse Jackson today:

"You can not compare me referring to New York as Hymietown to what Amos said. The media can not be a con do it for that sort of thing."

these guys leverage racial disharmony for wholly opportunistic gain and their kind of divisive speech is totally on par with the rest of it.

I love Jon Stewart and want to marry him.

"With a backdrop showing the face of Don Imus and "GAFFE-FEST '07" emblazoned on it, Jon Stewart took a snarky Daily Show swipe at media obsession over shock jock Imus' controversial remark last week.

Stewart barks, "Turning to our top story tonight: A guy on the radio said something shitty!" He shows Imus making the "nappy-headed hos" comment, then shows a montage of various news figures repeating the phrase, ending with one on Fox News saying "nappy-headed whores." "I believe that last gentleman didn't have his facts correct," quips Stewart.

Larry Wilmore, "senior black correspondent" for the Daily Show, chimes in, "The real victims here are the white players on the team, the nap-less, smooth-headed players, if you will."

This is off-topic, but wasn't Imus the 'inspiration' for the movie "Talk Radio"? I always thought that was an excellent movie.

no, it was based on the book, Talked to Death: The Life and Murder of Alan Berg. great book, great movie. never saw the play.

this was a manufactured crisis to make imus relevant again. he's not.

i think this was far more misogynistic than racist. he called them "hardcore hoes" before he said nappy-headed. the guy's a dick deluxe and a hack. he shouldn't be fired for his comment, but because he's a shitty broadcaster no-talent hasbeen.

I doubt that most of you who are calling him a "hack" and "shitty broadcaster" and "no talent"....etc....haven't watched/listened to his show. Thanks to the many great guests and characters, I always enjoyed the Imus show. I found it 50 times more entertaining and interesting than ANY other news show.

And listening this morning, I heard the Levon Helm band....it was great.

And if you blanket these girls with stereo types like they have ben ht with, wll it can do is cause them harm in the long run.

Those girls are in for a long hard life if all it takes to be offended is being called a nappy headed ho by a radio guy with a propensity for being offensive towards everybody. When their 15 minutes is up nobody will remember or care about this incident. Personally I think they are milking it for all it's worth. If they were half as dignified as their coach and the team keeps referring to in interviews they would have just shrugged it off and walked away. That they allow themselves to be paraded out on front of cameras looking like they are in mourning is proof they are willing victims. They better thicken their skin stat.

Just so I get this right, Eddie Murphy "I wanna be a Ho" mid 80's = funny, Imus "nappy headed ho's" last week = the devil?

MSNBC announced it's dropping the simulcast of his show completely...and Al and Jesse are meeting w/ CBS executives today. again, I don't think the comment itself is the real story here...it's the visibility being provided to a truly harmful double-standard being propogated by a couple of idiots that is really holding back true equality for all races, etc.

Maybe you're right, but the comment itself is still harmful. That's the point. Doubtless, Sharpton and Jackson are definitely capitalizing on racial divide, which certainly does more harm than good, but Imus' comments were made in bad faith and although he is not the problem (I think that we can all agree there), because of his comment, he remains part of it. The fact that he's white does matter, even if Sharpton and Jackson are blowing it out of proportion.

By the way, I didn't mean to "spin" your comment earlier. I just mis-read your post.

Ultimately, though, if this is the death of shock jock and windbag talk radio, you won't find me mourning.

At the same time, I hope the people who are outraged about his use of the word "ho" to refer to women save some of that fire for the rappers and others who have popularized the term. If we fire Imus but we give a pass to those responsible for the ubiquity of that denigrating slur, we create a double standard that's more destructive than anything Imus said.

Thats it, you racist! My Reverend will be calling your boss later.

Why can't Sharpton and Jackson stand up and implore people not to listen to Imus? Instead of calling for him to be fired?

Trust me -- market forces will bring down Imus on their own if people are as upset as they claim. Stop listening, then ratings go down, and sponsors will disappear. So will Imus.

I recognize that the first amendment doesn't apply here, but Sharpton and Jackson are treading very close to censoring speech that they don't like. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to chalk this up to an unfunny joke and nothing more. Sharpton and Jackson are not the moral arbiters of what I should be able to listen to or not listen to. And neither is anyone else. People that don't like shock jocks and the Stern/Imus ilk should stop listening. And try to get other people to stop listening. Trying to censor it is bullsh*t.