• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me -- market forces will bring down Imus on their own if people are as upset as they claim. Stop listening, then ratings go down, and sponsors will disappear. So will Imus.

You seem to think that the people who want him fired actually listen to him.

You seem to think that the people who want him fired actually listen to him.

Fair point. But if the people who want him fired are a minority (no pun intended), then they should not succeed by definition. And it appears that they are succeeding. At least in MSNBC's case.

The people who want him fired can become a majority by convincing listeners to stop listening instead of going straight to the top and bringing him down in what appears to be a coup d'etat.

Imus may deserved to be fired....but I think it's unfair to label him as some idiot, talent-less shock-jock.

Imus has raised tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars for various charities and causes....which helps ALL races. He has a ranch that takes in kids with cancer to live like a cowboy for 2 weeks....he says half the kids are from minority groups.

Personally, I think it's a shame he can't stay on....he vowed to change his show....hiring an African-American in the studio and focusing more on race issues. He'd have accomplished more to mend race relations on his show than Sharpton and Jesse have been able to do.

I didn't realize until right now that today is WFAN's radio-thon for SIDS, which has raised millions of dollars over the last 18 years.

Did MSNBC really need to pull the plug at 6:30 PM the night before the radio-thon? Besides, don't they know studies have shown that it's best to fire your employees on Friday?

bob1a.jpg

I think the precident has been set - by the others who have done similiar things - and have been fired as a result.

other white radio hosts? what about the radio hosts that fall outside that description using similar type of slurs against other racial/sexual demographics?

gary, that simulcast earned MSNBC a 25% share increase in that timeslot...cable-wise and for MSNBC, it was actually extremely succesful and, better yet, lucrative. They didn't have to spend $ to produce their own morning show and jsut had to kick in $ to CBS radio.

other white radio hosts? what about the radio hosts that fall outside that description using similar type of slurs against other racial/sexual demographics?

gary, that simulcast earned MSNBC a 25% share increase in that timeslot...cable-wise and for MSNBC, it was actually extremely succesful and, better yet, lucrative. They didn't have to spend $ to produce their own morning show and jsut had to kick in $ to CBS radio.

interesting, still most who tuned in were doing so via the radio, eh?

I'm listening to Oberman on espn radio now, and despite beating his chest in support of Imus for the past few days, he's totally selling him out now. Really weak.

MSNBC did in fact can imus the night before the radio-thon.

I don't know about Olbermann's radio show, but he certainly was not beating his chest in support for Imus on his TV show.

MSNBC's official statement was that internal pressures caused them to pull the plug on Imus. Their employees wanted them fired, and they felt that in order to maintain the right work environment and keep the values that they want in their workplace, they had to fire him. That was their statement anyway. Interpret it as you wish.

yes - I can't find the dang article I read the other day - it listed a whole bunch of these sort of things. Such as - the guys who had some people have sex in a church, the guy who held the water drinking contest, etc. I think some of the incidents were in the realm of racial epsiodes.

I think some people have already said that in the end - it will have to do with money - if the advertisers continue to pull-out, NBC will have to do something.

MSNBC's official statement was that internal pressures caused them to pull the plug on Imus. Their employees wanted them fired, and they felt that in order to maintain the right work environment and keep the values that they want in their workplace, they had to fire him. That was their statement anyway. Interpret it as you wish.

As someone who listens to imus every morning this makes sense. He ripped on people there constantly. They must hate him and see this as their opportunity to get him canned. (In addition, to quite fairly being offended by what he said.)

those guys not only got their jobs back, and they're also working for XM. oh woops, I'm not supposed to be talking to you.

They're on XM and they're on WBCN in Boston, mornings, before their XM show. That may be the case in other cities too. I wish Stern did something like that.

Imus and Stern aren't pals, never have been. and I doubt Sirius or XM would hire the guy, he had less than a 1 share in the ratings on free radio, nobody's going to pay listen to him.
Actually all that I know about Imus is from listening to Stern bad-rap him all these years.....I wish I could hear Stern's take on this. Is he supporting Imus now or not? Stern is fairly hypocritical anyway so he might not support him.

LouieB

Actually all that I know about Imus is from listening to Stern bad-rap him all these years.....I wish I could hear Stern's take on this. Is he supporting Imus now or not? Stern is fairly hypocritical anyway so he might not support him.

LouieB

Howard Stern to Imus: 'Say Fuck You'

NewsMax.com ^ | staff

Posted on 04/10/2007 11:06:54 AM PDT by kellynla

Shock jock Howard Stern is no fan of embattled Don Imus, but he said he knows what his fellow talk show host should have told critics: "F**k you.

those guys not only got their jobs back, and they're also working for XM. oh woops, I'm not supposed to be talking to you.

Opie & Anthony. I've been listening to them since they came on to replace Stern's original replacement here in Chicago. They aren't anywhere near as good as Stern, but they had a killer moment within discussion of this whole debacle the other day, when Whoopi Goldberg called their radio show during hers to get on their case for defending him and stated Imus should be fired. She hung up when they brought up:

180px-Danson-blackface-1.jpg

A-man, none of those examples you brought up were anything racially or even gender motivated. However, I know there are urban radio stations w/ black DJ's they are constantly ripping on other races/genders/sexual preferences and my guess is that none of them have been fired for similair comments.

and yeah, the Rutger players going on Oprah is just going to fix everything. Fucking A.

I've listened to Howard since about 81 or something. I lost interest somewhere after his divorce when he was no longer permitted to talk about his marriage or the divorce process. Not sure how I got into Imus, being a Howard listener, but sometime during the first Clinton candidacy I started beaming in for the interviews. Generally I'd rather hear pundits and politicians than strippers, although admittedly there may not be much of a difference. While all these guys cross the line I thought the O&A stunt to be totally over the line. When it happened my reaction was pretty visceral...not the kind of thing I'd have liked to bump into with my kid. I'm not sure what my point is, other than to say I'm old. Imus should have stopped trying to be funny a long time ago, as he pretty well sucks at it. He's a good interviewer, and he's a mighty fund raiser. His bits are weak, and his attempts at button pushing are hardly worthy of an eye roll. I'd personally be disappointed if the FAN axed him, but I think as pointed above dollars will dictate his fate and he's a cash cow for one of the most successful radio stations in the country.