Kinda funny that Sharpton is all agog over this. That race pimp created a shit storm with the Tawana Brawley case and then pretty much caused the death of that Rosenbaum kid back during the Crown Heights riots by inciting violence.

While Imus is an idiot, Sharpton and all the other race pimps are the biggest bunch of hypocrites around. You can be sure he (Sharpton) is looking for dollar signs. He's nothing but a shakedown artist.

amen :thumbup

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If white suburban teenage girls are tossing around the term "ho" with eachother how is it a racist remark? I understand the implications (as well as those with the 'nappy headed' comment) but as previously said, it's a pretty common slang term that probably doesn't carry as much weight as is being protested.

Now nappy-headed: that has to do with hair, right? Again...

The guy is an idiot and he should have been suspended. And he should apologize for what he did (he has). But what is happening to him now is flat-out ridiculous.

He makes a living as a DJ who pushes the envelope and is on live radio more than 20 hrs a week. Eventually in that field you are going to go too far. Frankly, I think he has said and done worse. This isn't to excuse what he did. Like I said, he deserves to be punished. But the fallout is completely over-the-top in my mind.

pretty much sums up my view as well...except that i don't listen to his show.

If white suburban teenage girls are tossing around the term "ho" with eachother how is it a racist remark?

It obviously still has to do with how the word is used. Somehow I doubt that Imus meant it in the Paris Hilton/Nicole Richie "hey ho" sense, not that that isn't ridiculous already. The use of "Nappy-headed" with the word "ho" makes it 2x worse.

Shock jocks don't get criticized for displaying their trademark chauvinism. If he'd have just called them "ho"s, I bet a lot fewer people would've cared. Like I said, all radio sucks, and I hate it for it's extremism and chauvinism the most. But when you add the racial epithet element, you're in trouble.

I watch Imus occassionally.

I like the characters on the show....Rob Bartlett is a real talent...his Bill Clinton, Rush Limbaugh, Brian Wilson and Simon Cowell impersonations (among others) are great. And I happen to like Bernie....the politically incorrect producer who does the Cardinal bit.

And Imus' guests are sometimes entertaining or interesting....i.e....Terry Bradshaw or Pat Buchanan or David Gregory.

But mostly it's a media elitist program....which is why it's getting a big uproar. All the media elites want it to be known that they are shocked and outraged (but they still hope he keeps his show so they can appear on it).

And Imus has live music every so often that is decent....John Mellencamp was just on and Mary Chapin Carpenter was due to be on this week, maybe not now.

Here's an article today from Kansas City shock-sports columnist Jason Whitlock (who's African American):

Imus isn

he's just as racist as Imus.

I was going to say...he who hath no sin cast the first stone...or something...

Sharpton (The Reverend if you will...) has had a pretty suspect past, is he seriously going to start pointing fingers...and I hate Imus...I just think he screwed up, its over, move on!

Both Imus' comments and the perpetuation of racist and/or misogynist stereotypes via mainstream hip-hop, popular culture, Girls Gone Wild, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, E! Channel, US Weekly, etc etc are serious problems in this nation.....

there a billion more powerful examples of people who are causing more damge relative to the perpetuation of racial/sexual stereotypes than don freaking imus. pardon my terminology, but he's being set up as a whipping boy to cover for more posturing and grandstanding by people like jackson and sharpton. the publicity they are giving to this comment is providing it more levity than the comment itself. plus, it's just another way to meet their agenda...an agenda that has little to nothing to do w/ equality, but perpetuating a continued racial divide. if everybody was 'equal' they'd be out of a 'job'.

that said, the frame of reference (tackless and insenstive as it was) the comment was made in...if taken in context...had nothing to do with them being inferior sexual commodities. quite the opposite, really.

If white suburban teenage girls are tossing around the term "ho" with eachother how is it a racist remark? I understand the implications (as well as those with the 'nappy headed' comment) but as previously said, it's a pretty common slang term that probably doesn't carry as much weight as is being protested.

Now nappy-headed: that has to do with hair, right? Again...

I don't think "ho" is a racist term. It was the "nappy-headed" part that is racist. "Ho" just added a little splash of misogony to compliment it.

Kevin - I welcome your additions to my list - I could add to it even more......the culture of which I speak knows no racial or gendered boundaries.....it is an infection of the worst degree.....and only seems to be getting worse. Women are selling themselves out left and right to fit these molds of what it means to be "meaningful" and "valued"

This culture of shallow, celebrity obsessed, materialistic, hypersexualized crud gets more and more out of control as the days pass......It is quite sad.

Pretty awesome that there is a war in Iraq but when I check the paper all I see is shit about Don Imus, Dice-K, and whoever the hell fathered Anna Nicole's baby.

i agree in theory. i will say that the comment itself never should have gotten this much coverage...the uproar and how it is another example of an increasing racial divide being brought on by certain leaders of a community supposedly driving for equality is most definitely news.

how this is handled will also affect the level of radio-based and public discourse in general.

the uproar and how it is another example of an increasing racial divide being brought on by certain leaders of a community

I mean to disrespect to you, but it's not the black community's fault for being offended by something that is actually quite offensive.

I mean to disrespect to you, but it's not the black community's fault for being offended by something that is actually quite offensive.

They aren't offended by what he said (since rap/hip hop artists say far worse), but rather they are offended because he's white and said it. And when I say "they", I really only mean the Al Sharptons of the world because who knows how offended normal people are.

They aren't offended by what he said (since rap/hip hop artists say far worse), but rather they are offended because he's white and said it. And when I say "they", I really only mean the Al Sharptons of the world because who knows how offended normal people are.

*Ding* Thank you. Owl, please, go back and read that Jason Whitlock piece somebody posted.

*Ding* Thank you. Owl, please, go back and read that Jason Whitlock piece somebody posted.

I haven't paid ANY attention to the whole Al Sharpton thing. I heard about what Imus said. I determined that it is offensive. I have decided that he should be punished for what he said, and more than a two weeks' suspension. I also agree that a lot of rap/hip hop is offensive, degrading, and that it promotes violence. I think that those people are tremendously bad influences. But it doesn't matter. There is no lesser of two evils here. I agree, Sharpton is an ass too, but your "certain community" (say, what is this "certain community" that you talk about?) remark is an awesome generalization.

And yeah, I read the guy's article. Neat, gangsterism is a big problem. So is the American shock jock-mentality of making ignorant racist and chauvinistic remarks. People need to start realizing that making money off of racism, whether you're the CEO of a giant music company or a million-dollar-earning DJ, is as good as condoning it.

And as far as shock jock radio, listening to it, defending it, downplaying it, etc., is as good as condoning it.

i think the primary problem here (aside from moral depravity in general) is the media, sensationalism and media oversaturation.

this may be a stretch here, but can you all remember when there was local news then national news right after? no cnn, no fox, no msnbc, no whatever channel that relayed "news" 24/7. mtv played only music, back before the whole reality tv stuff...

you know, i was just remarking to my wife this morning that, as a joke, i was telling her about the verdict in the anna nicole paternal suit...about larry birkhead being dannielynn's father. she said who? as if i was talking about people we know. then i remarked that i hated the fact that i know these people's names and situations, but it is almost unavoidable.

who gives a shit?

make it stop.