The Pines 6/24

this is looking to be a highlight of the summer for me.

so I'm looking for any help or advice that makes it so.

stories?

pics?

places to stay?

things to do and eat?

the park that day- picnic table rentals?

chance of a VC picnic? kickball game?

venue vibe?

and any thoughts of what you would do on the Sunday night if you were me and going to Hammerstein show on Monday? stay local and get up early? or power it on back home to nyc in the middle of the night?

:dancing

Pines last summer was the best Wilco show I've ever seen. During the day the whole park is beautiful, and there's plenty of activities to do (but I prefer sitting at the front of the line lol). But yes, this show shall be amazing.

Is that a joke? I really hope so, but it's hard to tell.

People can talk about whatever they want to talk about, if you're not interested, just ignore the thread.

Edit: not directed at Walken!

I was at the show up there last summer, and I'm going with the same group of people this year. We got our tickets in the presale yesterday. Thankfully my best friend lives in Northampton, so I have a place to stay, and I know the area pretty well.

Northampton is a cool little town. I recommend walking around downtown if you get into town early enough. The center of downtown is Bridge Street, which is accessible via exits 19 and 20 of I-91. Downtown there are a lot of artsy little shops and some great used book stores. The brewery has great microbrews, and the food there is pretty good. My favorite place to eat is Teapot, because they have great sushi for a great price. There's also a great Indian restaurant on State Street, but I'm not sure if it's open on Sundays. If you're going to get groceries for a picnic, be prepared for sticker shock. I'm not sure where you live; I live in upstate New York, and groceries in Northampton are a bit more expensive than I'm used to. The two main grocery stores in town are the Stop and Shop and Big Y.

The park is a nice place. I don't remember about picnic tables, but there's plenty of places to spread out a blanket in the grass. I'm not sure about bottles, but we've taken beer in cans and never got hassled about it, as long as we got rid of them by the time we lined up. The Pines is also a great venue. This will be my third summer in a row seeing a show there, and I can't wait. It's so small, and everybody is really laid back. We got there relatively late last year and my friend's friends brought their kids, so we decided to sit near the back by the soundboards. I was kind of disappointed, since I'd wanted to try to get down closer to the front, but the view was great from even that far back, and we had plenty of room.

The hotels you mentioned are both really small, so it's not surprising that they're already booked. You might be better off trying a chain hotel in Hadley or Amherst, both of which are less than 15 minutes away via Route 9 (which will take you right past UMass) or I-91. Northampton is a nice town, but it's also expensive, so I think you'll get a better deal at a place closer to the highway, and it will be easier for you to get on the road in the morning.

I joined here last year and never got around to posting, but I'll probably be on here more now with the album coming out soon :banana

Saw Wilco at the Pines last summer -- loved it.

Decided to go to the Pines again this summer instead of NYC/NJ. We just booked a room at Hotel Northampton (a little expensive, but a beautiful, old hotel) so there seem to still be rooms available.

Just wanted to throw that out there if anyone's still looking for a place to stay.

I'd definitely recommend the brewery as well -- a little hard to find, but great beer, nice people. Thanks for the sushi recommendation (yummm)

I saw the Pines show last year and opted to go again rather than seeing them at Hammerstein (10 blocks from my work). I thought the Pines was one of the best venues I'd ever been to. It's fairly small and intimate. We had no trouble getting to the front. The sightlines were graet and the sound was amazing. Hammerstein, on the other hand, has shitty sound and is really hard to have a "good seat" unless you are in the front 15-20 rows on the floor.

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing this back up. more excited than ever, now that the ACL show is going to be a big dilemma.

...now having to do it up and back on the same day from nyc. anybody else? that drive home should be fun. will have to make a post-show playlist of rockers.

my current burning questions:

favorite picnic food?

what's this about a line up? / and if so, what time are you lining up?

anybody want to toss a frisbee in the park?

I'm bringing this back up. more excited than ever, now that the ACL show is going to be a big dilemma.

...now having to do it up and back on the same day from nyc. anybody else? that drive home should be fun. will have to make a post-show playlist of rockers.

my current burning questions:

favorite picnic food?

what's this about a line up? / and if so, what time are you lining up?

anybody want to toss a frisbee in the park?

I'm heading to Northampton for 1pish to get some lunch with my friends and then start scoping out the line :dancing

I was told by a few to be there about 2-3hrs early, so I figure 4pish at the latest that the line would start. We'll see...

Last year's Pines show was the best Wilco show I've seen too. I can't imagine how good they are going to be this year. I've heard that Jeff's energy is great and the band is kickin'. I'll see you folks there. It would be neat if we VCers met up before the show. It is a cool venue with a great vibe.

"now that the ACL show is going to be a big dilemma"

What dilemma? The VW bitching made me a bit tired of the boards...did I miss something?

The Pines show last year was easily the best Wilco show I'd seen -- the setting is beautiful and the sound was fantastic. Although, unless you want to lay down a blanket you don't really need to get there super early to wait in line...just a suggestion.

Hello,

I agree last year's show at the Pines was amazing....or at least the last 2 encores which is all that I caught of it. Yes, I was late for a Wilco show. Get directions. Check. Pay attention. Uh...My friends and I were late to leave anyway. It was a fucking hot 90 + degree day with no breeze. I was moving mattresses out of my house. Sweating profusely. My 2 friends were at another's Awesomefest. Don't ask. By the time we met at our local Barnes and Noble it was close to 6. We were coming from NH. I didn't get lost when I saw Tweedy in Northampton in 05. But for some reason I went past the 90 exit and got stuck in a traffic jam for whomever was playing at the Tweeter Center which is in Mansfield, MA. Keep this in mind folks - thank God Wilco has never played there. Expect 2 hours to leave their parking lot and an hour or so just sitting outside the exit in bumper to bumper traffic. So I had to turn around when I finally hit 95. Pretty much a half hour wasted. So at this point we weren't even on the Mass Pike (90) yet and have yet to go on 91. This was the bulk of the trip for us. Cut to 945 or 10 I don't really care to remember how late we arrived. I think we may have even missed an exit on 91. At this point it was a joke. We were all pissed and realized we must have had some sort of heat related mental illness. We pull into The Pines and with windows down I could hear Walken. Looking for parking spot. Hey, it's Theologians. Keep looking. Driving there's no worker directing traffic anymore. No parking from what appears to be very little parking to begin with. Turning around it's I'm The Man Who Loves You. I think we had to come out the exit to try to park again. So we pull in and now see a spot (maybe someone left early). Hummingbird is the song as we get our tickets checked. We walk into the venue and see how amazingly beautiful the venue is and see it's castle like speakers and within literally 5 seconds Hummingbird has just finished-Tweedy and co. have just left the stage. We look at each other and laugh. All this pain and humiliation to come into this. At this point it might've been 10. We find out that they came out around 8. They come back and go into Let's Fight which was well worth it. Anyways, we got to see a bit over 30 minutes. I believe there was a curfew for 1030. Which might explain why Wilco played for close to 2.5 hours. What we caught was unbelievable. We were spoiled by the Brown U show that April where we got to hang out with Wilco after the show. It was me and my 2 friends and some college kids who seemed to be there just for autographs and pictures. We were there to talk. I had never seen the band that chatty. Jeff was hilarious. Anyways, different story.

Moral of this story and other tips =

1. Leave early.

2. Check the Tweeter Center schedule. There is no concert there on Sunday night.

3. Western MA truly is a different world. I would like to be out there more but it really is half a world away.

In fact, I have only been there 3 times in the past 3 years all for Wilco/Tweedy.

4. 90 is the mass pike - the exit 22 comes up sooner than you think on 495 South. If you were to miss it and not realize it until it's too late and hit the Tweeter Center traffic you are fucked.

5. 91 connects Springfield to Amherst and Northampton.

6. I don't recall much of a parking lot at the Pines.

7. Once you take the exit for the Pines you are still a little ways away.

8. My friends and I are all college educated. We planned this for awhile. But it didn't work out the way we wanted it to. It could happen to you.

9. Where we ended up standing was still excellent viewing.

10. Repressed memories about missing Wilco may be not 100 % accurate.

Kristofor

PS if you made it this far enjoy the show(s). Don't get lost. Enjoy the beauty of the Pines.

All of this led me to get tickets to both Chicago shows in November.

:worship

"now that the ACL show is going to be a big dilemma"

What dilemma? The VW bitching made me a bit tired of the boards...did I miss something?

oh, I'm just whining because they got scheduled against my morning jacket.

and u2roolz, thanks for the heads up on the directions thing. yikes. you just made my start time a half hour earlier.

I'll be there. We really need VC hats or something.

Well, I can tell you right now I'll be wearing my red Wilco shirt...I could find a hat and paint "VC" on it... ;)