Greatest Wilco album of all time....?

A previous poster hit the nail on the head with the Sophie's Choice analogy. That being said, Being There is a very fine album, and personally, I rank it above both AGIB and YHF. I'm still soaking in SBS, so I cant add that into the mix yet.

nice thread. I am a Wilco-ite newbie. Last summer I was asked by a friend to join an ensemble group of people playing Wilco's music. The 1st album I did was BT, and I had never heard it before. I thought it was a beautiful album, and I have been a fan ever since. Even after 'doing' Yankee and Ghost with the ensemble, there was something about Being There that just did it for me. From MIsunderstod, to the opening Banjo and great Vox in "what's the world got in store", to Outta site, Kingpin and those weird chords in Sunken Treasure, it's an album that has it all.

I have to say that I have been listening to SBS constantly lately, and I really love the album. Perhaps (and this is because it's what I am listening to non-stop) it's their best, perhaps it's my favorite; yet, Being There will always be special to me for different reasons.

On a different note, one of the things that I like the most about Wilco is that there music is wonderful in the album order. They don't put out a collection of songs, they put out an ALBUM that is best listened to as is. They are all great. They are all different.

thanks for all the great posts. glad to see some other fellow Being There lovers. "drunken weekend" is a neat way to put it.

random note: how fucking cool is it when dreamer falls apart at the end, and then just comes back together to continue rocking? awesome stuff.

forget the flowers is beautiful

I won't bore y'all with what album I think is best or whatnot, BUT I think Being There is the album that seems to encompass everything that Wilco is/was/came to be. There's stuff on Being There that could have fit well onto A.M., and at the same time stuff that would have fit in on AGIB or SBS, etc.

It's musically diverse and probably is the best CD for newbies who want an overall taste. I say, leave the ranking lists to Rolling Stone for when they're too lazy to interview someone and write a real story (I poke fun, but I eat up those magazine lists).

And that's my 2 cents,

-Laura

I won't bore y'all with what album I think is best or whatnot, BUT I think Being There is the album that seems to encompass everything that Wilco is/was/came to be. There's stuff on Being There that could have fit well onto A.M., and at the same time stuff that would have fit in on AGIB or SBS, etc.

It's musically diverse and probably is the best CD for newbies who want an overall taste. I say, leave the ranking lists to Rolling Stone for when they're too lazy to interview someone and write a real story (I poke fun, but I eat up those magazine lists).

And that's my 2 cents,

-Laura

I agree. The seeds of today's Wilco are all in BT.

> I agree. The seeds of today's Wilco are all in BT.

:thumbup

Dude, man, I am totally drinking box wine RIGHT NOW!

Being There is great, sometimes I think higher of it than YHF even when I'm not thinking chronologically. It certainly was an explosive time for Tweedy's creativity, seeing how he's gone back to his demo tapes from that era again and again. Its energy is undeniable, it fucking rocks. However, I think Wilco has musically matured since then, they've always been a band where the songs are great, but the music hasn't always matched. There was one time where everything seemed organic, where the right people using the right tools with the right ideas luckily all came together to create something beyond themselves. I call this magical period "AGIB".

Although A.M. was my first Wilco album it was Being There and the subsequent tour that cemented my love for Wilco. I saw that tour more than any other. It just seemed they were always within driving distance. A truly great album with unbelievable live shows. B)

• 2 weeks later...
but what i really wanted to discuss is that don't you guys think that Being There is the best Wilco album to give someone who is just getting into them?

I whole-heartedly agree!!!

I was 1st introduced to them with Summerteeth and as much as I love it. I love every little thing (no pun, intended) about Being There!!!

honestly, is there anything like being there? i've been listening to it non-stop for the last week. it's so rockin, it's got country, it's got bluegrass, it's got harder kinds of rock, softer kinds of rock, and most of all, it has such innocent and fun lyrics written by Tweedy.

but what i really wanted to discuss is that don't you guys think that Being There is the best Wilco album to give someone who is just getting into them? i know for sure that after i heard Being There, i knew Wilco was a fuckin awesome band. i forsee myself giving the album as a gift to many people in the near future.

It's epic. I always dug the fact that Jeff put up the cash to make it a double album, that's moxy.

It's epic. I always dug the fact that Jeff put up the cash to make it a double album, that's moxy.

Hell yeah... one of the many things he did to show that he was going to do whatever he wanted no matter what the record companies said about it.