honestly, is there anything like being there? i've been listening to it non-stop for the last week. it's so rockin, it's got country, it's got bluegrass, it's got harder kinds of rock, softer kinds of rock, and most of all, it has such innocent and fun lyrics written by Tweedy.

but what i really wanted to discuss is that don't you guys think that Being There is the best Wilco album to give someone who is just getting into them? i know for sure that after i heard Being There, i knew Wilco was a fuckin awesome band. i forsee myself giving the album as a gift to many people in the near future.

it's just such an innocent, raw, and creative album all at the same time. it's fun rock music, but the music still has so many interesting and unique chord changes and melodies that you can't help but become hooked and say "wow that's awesome"

Being There is the band's best record in my book, no contest. The Johnny Come Latelies don't seem to appreciate it, I've noticed, and that's more than all right by me. It's sort of the Wilco record that separates the men from the boys in my eyes; not coincidentally, it's also the purest distillation of Tweedy's songwriting abilities. There's all kinds of strains - Brian Wilson studio pop supported by stacks of harmonies, rollicking melodic rockers that recall the Stones at their peak, stunning fingerpicked country songs, and the very beginnings of the experimental styles the band would begin to explore in earnest with YHF. They still haven't written any songs in the vein of "Misunderstood" or "Sunken Treasure" that scale those same heights. Being There plays like a thorough overview of popular American music from Hank to Mick to Bob to Thurston. It's fucking stunning.

Aside to notdarkyet: Is your favourite album by everybody always their latest album? If so, don't you find that, uh, odd at all?

i'm sure a-man will bring up previous BT apprecitation threads, but i agree with everyone above (except justin :lol)

the album has everything on it, and more, that could have been expected form them at the time.

i thought mermaid avenue was da bomb when i first heard it, but buying this one blew me away

i was thinking a few days back that Feed of man could easily pass as a Being there outtake, if we didnt know the true story behind it

Im a serial monogamist in all things musical and romantic. I listened to Being There, ONLY Being There, for at least a year. :stunned

Picking a Wilco album is akin to Sophie's Choice, without the dire consequences. It's like having children, you love them all -- they all have distinct

personalities, some might be easier to love and some more challenging, but no one can really be called a favorite.

just cos you dont agree...doesnt mean its crazy

No, I was kidding. That's one of the great things about Wilco ... for every one of their albums, there's someone who regards it as their best. I've never cared much for AGIB, personally, but I'm in the minority.

YHF is my favorite. Being There comes second.

Unless we're talking about order of release, in which case it's:

AM

BT

ST

YHF

AGIB

SBS

i agree with a lot of these great comments about Wilco's best record. when i ripped open the packaging and heard the first notes/sounds of Misunderstood (especially after the country-tinged AM, UT followup record) you knew Wilco was on its way to be something special.

the record is heartfelt, jovial, rollicking, witty, yes drunken weekend kind of way....

but what i love most about this record or this era is there LIVE set. I love nels cline and glenn kotche but the lineup during Being there was the best. jeff would wear cowboy hats, jay bennett's dreadlocks, the best renditions of Kingpin, great rock band!!! Being There is/was the Best Wilco record.

If I weren't an aurally challenged Neanderthal (and French), I'd agree.

I'm listening to YHF to start the day, and "Reservations" is next. I'm going to enjoy listening to it (mostly because I know I'm right), but there's not nearly enough drunken violin.