"Wishful Thinking"

Does anyone else think this is a damn beautiful song that deserves far more attention that it gets Consider the feelings of isolation and alienation it evokes, the use of ambient noise in the beginning, and the devestating intimacy of the lyrics (open your arms as far as they will go, take off your dress, an embarassing poem was written when i was alone in love with you). I especially love this last bit, of being simultaneously alone and in love.

I'd say amen to that. It's my favourite off AGIB, and definitely evokes sensations of calm in an album that's actually pretty tense and anxious at times, though in a good way. Of all the lyrics that JT's written over the years (and I love 'em all), the lyrics on this particular album are his best, though SBS is rapidly gaining ground too. "Fill up your mind with all it can know/don't forget that your body will let it all go". Wow. Damn, that's *insightful*. :shifty

So, Slothrop... do you enjoy a little Pynchon?

Initially, it was my favorite off AGIB, but I probably have not listened to that song in several months now. I tend to skip it. I don't know why; I don't hate the song. Really, though, I haven't even listened to AGIB in a straight shot for quite a long time.

i didn't really like this song when i first got AGIB. after seeing it performed live, however, it has become one of my favourite songs. its so beautifull!

i saw jeff do it solo back in january, and i weeped. :cheekkiss i love music.

Glen Kotche is listed as the composer on this. Wonder what form it had previously.

Have to agree about the calmness on this track FixedBayonet.

Sublime.

I think Glenn gets some lyrical credit because Jeff borrowed some imagery from some of Glenn's little percussive invention thingys. I forget where I read that...

but yeah, the "chambers of chains with red plastic mouths" thing...

And yeah, the solo version was probably one of the most amazing human connections I've experianced at a show. :thumbup